autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Track day paint preservation advice needed

First off, if this doesn't belong here and should be moved to the OT area I apologize and the mods can move it as needed.

After a series of events fell into place, I'm finally getting a chance to do my first non-competitive track day in mid-August. I am really fired up about the opportunity, but being one of those people who plans EVERYTHING to the n-th degree I'm already starting to think through my preparations. That led to a couple of questions.

- I'll need to put numbers on my car, and I'm looking at simply using auto painter's tape since I may not know my assigned number until I get there. The sides can be on the rear windows, but I believe I'll also need to apply them to the hood as well. Is there anything I should be careful with when applying the tape to any painted areas? I typically only tape off vinyl/plastic trim. Is marring definite? I realize there will be adhesive goo to deal with when it's all over. The plan right now is to take to take some QD spray with me to ensure the paint is as clean as possible prior to application. Maybe some bug remover as well.

- Since I won't be racing and getting that close to other cars, should I worry about taping up leading edge surfaces like the side mirror faces and hood line near the grill?

Thanks!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Track day paint preservation advice needed

Not sure about the cost, but what about magnetic numbers as opposed to painters tape? Or at least magnetic strips to form into numbers since you won't know what your assigned number is.

I'm not sure how much of an effect the adhesive from tape will have on your LSP, but to me the magnets would be less invasive on products.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue painter's tape is a good choice for marking your car's number, it's a quite popular method and I'm sure you'll see others doing the same at your event.

As for the not racing part, while that is true and the ABSOLUTE BEST mentality and understanding to have at these events, you will almost certainly come close to other vehicles out on track. Since you say this is your first lapping day, there will be cars and drivers that are much faster and will be passing you. While they should be maintaining a safe distance while doing so, they may still come close and there is a chance of stones and rubber being thrown from their tires. There may also be instances where you need to overtake a slower driver and the same thing applies.

If you encounter any rubber marks on your paint afterwards, Mother's R3 Racing Rubber Remover works amazingly well.

Make safety your number one priority, always keeping in mind that you are NOT racing and you will have an amazing time!

Post Thanks / Like

Id be more worried about the rock chips you will get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Not sure about the cost, but what about magnetic numbers as opposed to painters tape? Or at least magnetic strips to form into numbers since you won't know what your assigned number is.

I'm not sure how much of an effect the adhesive from tape will have on your LSP, but to me the magnets would be less invasive on products.
    I hadn't thought about magnetic strips, but that isn't a bad option if not too expensive. Probably better than having to get two sets of numbers (in case of numbers like 22) Since the event is mid-August and I'll do my winter prep in mid- October, I'm not too worried about LSP protection at that point. I can always hit the area with spray wax or spot wax the area after I've removed the tape goo

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    Blue painter's tape is a good choice for marking your car's number, it's a quite popular method and I'm sure you'll see others doing the same at your event.

As for the not racing part, while that is true and the ABSOLUTE BEST mentality and understanding to have at these events, you will almost certainly come close to other vehicles out on track. Since you say this is your first lapping day, there will be cars and drivers that are much faster and will be passing you. While they should be maintaining a safe distance while doing so, they may still come close and there is a chance of stones and rubber being thrown from their tires. There may also be instances where you need to overtake a slower driver and the same thing applies.

If you encounter any rubber marks on your paint afterwards, Mother's R3 Racing Rubber Remover works amazingly well.

Make safety your number one priority, always keeping in mind that you are NOT racing and you will have an amazing time!
    Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    Id be more worried about the rock chips you will get.
    Based on both of these responses, I take it running some tape across my mirrors, hood and maybe across the bumper might not be a bad idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe others will know, but maybe instead of taping up surfaces there is a temporary film option? As stated above, the trouble is you'll be getting debris from all angles. I've done track days myself, and work at a shop where we see track cars pretty often. Sadly, for the frequent track rats, I like to say it knocks the pretty off a car starting at the front (rubber chunks from other cars causing streaks/scratches, rock chips, high velocity bugs), then you get the rubber/rock cast off from your own car. Thinking about it though, many of our track faithful aren't that obsessive about paint maintenance, so what I see is a much more extreme version of what you'll experience.

It all depends on how extensive you want to go, but if you really wanted to minimize damage I'd think about doing the leading edge of your roof, front end, mirrors, and behind your wheel openings. I don't have any experience with them, but it sure seems like a paint coating would help hedge your bets towards minimizing damage. All you can do is your best to prepare, in the end you can't cover everything that might happen (example - I' had an unplanned off-track excursion one time in my M3 when my tires decided that they'd had enough of this heat and were taking a break from providing valuable steering output. PSA: Remember to straighten your wheels if you're gonna go off).

All in all, not trying to care you, just stating what I've seen. Like derass said, you've got the right mentality for a truly recreational track day. You'll be faster than some, slower than others.

What track/car are you running? Last recommendations - make sure to get your tech inspection done in advance just in case you need to get any repairs done, and flush your brake fluid. K, I'm done I swear.

Post Thanks / Like

Xpel makes a track wrap clear bra film that is easy to install and just for this use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    It all depends on how extensive you want to go, but if you really wanted to minimize damage I'd think about doing the leading edge of your roof, front end, mirrors, and behind your wheel openings. I don't have any experience with them, but it sure seems like a paint coating would help hedge your bets towards minimizing damage. All you can do is your best to prepare, in the end you can't cover everything that might happen (example - I' had an unplanned off-track excursion one time in my M3 when my tires decided that they'd had enough of this heat and were taking a break from providing valuable steering output. PSA: Remember to straighten your wheels if you're gonna go off).

All in all, not trying to care you, just stating what I've seen. Like derass said, you've got the right mentality for a truly recreational track day. You'll be faster than some, slower than others.

What track/car are you running? Last recommendations - make sure to get your tech inspection done in advance just in case you need to get any repairs done, and flush your brake fluid. K, I'm done I swear.
    I don't plan on doing this too often, so I doubt the car will suffer too much. If I go once I year, I'll be quite happy. I hadn't thought about the leading edge of the roof or behind the wheels. Thanks for those tips.

I'll be driving my Mk6 GTI (2014) at the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL. The car is in great shape and lower mileage, so I haven't had any issues going through the tech inspection checklist. I will be flushing the brakes with some higher temp fluid just before the event as I really don't want to deal with boiled fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by refreshauto View Post
    Xpel makes a track wrap clear bra film that is easy to install and just for this use.
    Great tip! I need to look into that. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    PSA: Remember to straighten your wheels if you're gonna go off.
    If you can, try the straighten the car if you're going off. If you go off sideways, the tires can dig into the soft ground causing the car to roll. Scary but true, I've seen it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I will be flushing the brakes with some higher temp fluid just before the event as I really don't want to deal with boiled fluid.
    Do you have upgraded brake pads? Stock pads will over-heat and cause brake-fade before the fluid boils. The minute you experience a decrease in braking performance end your session. It will probably occur at the end of a long straight where you will need to press considerably harder on the brakes to slow down, this is your queue. Take a cool down lap and head into the pits. Let everything cool down for a while before going back out again. It's best for your safety and longevity of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Some magnetic signage will release above certain speeds. Once the racing "bug" bites you, you may want to check out Duragloss Track Claw protective racing polish. At the regional driving schools around here, they just put the number on the window--rear quarter, back, and upper left of windshield. Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast