autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumping back into the detailing game . . . . need some guidance

It's been awhile since my last detail - around 5 years - and I'm overwhelmed with the new products out there and frustrated with Menzerna's revisions. I'm looking to detail my girlfriend's '15 Mazda CX-5 and need some guidance with product selection. I am familiar with the M105/M205 and the Menzerna IP. Thank God the M105/M205 is still kicking around as a tried and true go-to combo but I'd like to experiment with Menzerna's lineup.

Car is in great condition with faint spider-webbing and I'm liking what I'm reading about the SF3800 for its finishing "pop" as opposed to the SF3500 despite the less aggressive cut. Would it be silly to pick up a M205 to go with the SF3800, in case I need something a little more aggressive on more stubborn paint defects? I will have to pick up some M105 already because I'm filling in some paint chips and scratches that I'll be finishing up with a wetsand. Is the SF3800 too far of a jump from the M105? Would the SF3800 on a orange or yellow pad give me some middle ground cut?

If I wasn't too concerned with a finishing "pop", I'd just go the M105/M205 route. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jumping back into the detailing game . . . . need some guidance

If car is in great condition, why not something like an AIO? HDSpeed or McKee's 37 would work perfectly with an orange pad.

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint is similar to my '10 Mazda3, you won't need 105. I use Meguiars Ultimate Polish on our Mazda and even with a few modest swirls from washing and snow removal, everything comes out rather easily.

If your starting from scratch, I'd look at the McKee's 37 line or HD. Great bang-for-the-buck buy all accounts here. It's the direction I'll be going once my UP bottle runs out.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robopredinator View Post
    I'm liking what I'm reading about the SF3800 for its finishing "pop" as opposed to the SF3500 despite the less aggressive cut.
    Son of a gun, when it was PO106FF/PO85RD and SF4000/SF4500, and maybe even when it was first SF3500/SF3800, the gloss was rated the same for both. Now I see the SF3800 gloss is "10+" and the SF3500 is 9--when did that happen? Was there actually a product change or just a "chart" change?

Mike Phillips

It's been awhile since my last detail - around 5 years -

Since this is your first post - at least under this account...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

and I'm overwhelmed with the new products out there and frustrated with Menzerna's revisions.
    The only way to stay caught up is to frequent this forum. As for Menzerna? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Or like my wife says about me,

"If it ain't broke fix it till it is"

I'm looking to detail my girlfriend's '15 Mazda CX-5 and need some guidance with product selection. I am familiar with the M105/M205 and the Menzerna IP. Thank God the M105/M205 is still kicking around as a tried and true go-to combo but I'd like to experiment with Menzerna's lineup.

Car is in great condition with faint spider-webbing and I'm liking what I'm reading about the SF3800 for its finishing "pop" as opposed to the SF3500 despite the less aggressive cut. Would it be silly to pick up a M205 to go with the SF3800, in case I need something a little more aggressive on more stubborn paint defects? I will have to pick up some M105 already because I'm filling in some paint chips and scratches that I'll be finishing up with a wetsand. Is the SF3800 too far of a jump from the M105? Would the SF3800 on a orange or yellow pad give me some middle ground cut?

If I wasn't too concerned with a finishing "pop", I'd just go the M105/M205 route. Any advice?

M205 is a fine cut polish.

I'd recommend getting these two products.

Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound, Fast Gloss 400, FG400 compound

Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish

If the Super Finish doesn't get the job done then hit it with the Heavy Cut Compound and then follow with the Super Finish.

Then seal the paint and stick a fork in it and call it done.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the two Mike picked out.

However, I do keep 2500 on hand - just in case. It's about middle between the heavy, and fine cut.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

However, I do keep 2500 on hand - just in case. It's about middle between the heavy, and fine cut.

I agree.

And if the OP wants he could add that to the mix and then he would be good to go no matter what he's working on.

Add some Power Lock or his favorite wax or sealant and check-off compounds, polishes and waxes from his list.

Then it's time to get some new pads. I don't believe he mentioned what type of tools he has but regardless, in the last 5 years there's been lots of cool new pads introduced.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    If car is in great condition, why not something like an AIO? HDSpeed or McKee's 37 would work perfectly with an orange pad.
    Haven't heard of those products. I'm sure they are great products but for right now - as to not overwhelm myself with the vast number of products - I'm looking at Menzerna or Meguiar's.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If the paint is similar to my '10 Mazda3, you won't need 105. I use Meguiars Ultimate Polish on our Mazda and even with a few modest swirls from washing and snow removal, everything comes out rather easily.

If your starting from scratch, I'd look at the McKee's 37 line or HD. Great bang-for-the-buck buy all accounts here. It's the direction I'll be going once my UP bottle runs out.
    I'll need something aggressive for the paint chip/scratch repair + wetsand. Also, I didn't mention it but there is a "rash" from rubbing up against another car that I need to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Son of a gun, when it was PO106FF/PO85RD and SF4000/SF4500, and maybe even when it was first SF3500/SF3800, the gloss was rated the same for both. Now I see the SF3800 gloss is "10+" and the SF3500 is 9--when did that happen? Was there actually a product change or just a "chart" change?
    That's why I'm leaning towards that SF3800; That "+" rating has me intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

M205 is a fine cut polish.

I'd recommend getting these two products.

Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound, Fast Gloss 400, FG400 compound

Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish

If the Super Finish doesn't get the job done then hit it with the Heavy Cut Compound and then follow with the Super Finish.

Then seal the paint and stick a fork in it and call it done.

Thanks for the greetings and recommendations.

Despite the finishing gloss of 9 for the SF3500 and 10+ for the SF3800, would you still recommend the SF3500 if I'm concerned with a jeweling finish? Would you say the difference in negligible?

Also, how far would 8 oz. bottles get me?

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

I like the idea of FG400, MC2500 and SF3800. If I were to go with just the FG400 and SF3800, could I substitute the MC2500 for the SF3800 on a more aggressive pad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I agree.

And if the OP wants he could add that to the mix and then he would be good to go no matter what he's working on.

Add some Power Lock or his favorite wax or sealant and check-off compounds, polishes and waxes from his list.

Then it's time to get some new pads. I don't believe he mentioned what type of tools he has but regardless, in the last 5 years there's been lots of cool new pads introduced.
    I'm working with a PC7424 and I'm only familiar with LC pads. I need new pads so what would you recommend? Oh and what waxes would you recommend for a dark grey and black vehicle?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I was gona recommend FG400 and SF3500 but Mike beat me to it. You will hardly notice the gloss difference between 3500 and 3800 on modern clear coats.

PS. FG400 finishes incredibly well on its own.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to pull the trigger on the FG400 and SF3500. Thanks guys.

Another question though: I'll be trying the Collinite 845; Would I be good to go with just this product as a sealant? Or would you still recommend a sealant and topping off with the 845? I'm thinking about the Menzerna Power Lock + 845.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast