autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What compound and polish to use on car??

I recently bought a bunch of products to detail my boat that had heavy oxidation. I ended up using meguiars heavy oxidation remover and 3m perfect it polish and meguiars premium wax. I also have a bottle of 3m super duty compound. Now I want to detail my 2003 Acura TL. The car isn't in bad shape but does have some discoloration on the roof and top of doors, while the rest of the car is in decent shape but needs some shining up to do. I've never waxed/compounded the car since I've owned it. Can I use the 3m super duty or 3m perfect it polish to compound?would the 3m super duty compound be too aggressive? Or would it be better to use the 3m perfect it polish? Is a polish similar to compound? My plan is to use a da polisher with either the 3m super compound or polish with a heavy or medium cut pad and then finish it off with some wax with a finish pad. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What compound and polish to use on car??

If that's all you have to work with,try a test spot and dial in a process.with a da I see no harm other than hazing from the cutting compound.Try the polish first along with some prep work like claying etc.Im personally not a fan of 3m so that's all I can advise you.use the polish with a medium cut pad then use your wax and see how it looks.The color of the car is a big factor for the outcome of results with limited products..

Post Thanks / Like

First off, the 3M products are for ROTARY use only. These are not to be used with a DA. Please read the label printed on the bottles.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...irections.html

What you need to accomplish in order to see what works with what is to perform a test spot.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-spot.html

I would look into a set of user friendly compounds/polishes such as the ones in the McKee's 37 line.
    McKee's 37 Fast Compound For your dual action or rotary polisher.
    McKee's 37 Fast Polish For your dual action or rotary polisher
    McKee's 37 Jeweling Wax For your dual action or rotary polisher.

Which machine and pads do you have on hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gradywhite3535 View Post
    I recently bought a bunch of products to detail my boat that had heavy oxidation. I ended up using meguiars heavy oxidation remover and 3m perfect it polish and meguiars premium wax. I also have a bottle of 3m super duty compound. Now I want to detail my 2003 Acura TL. The car isn't in bad shape but does have some discoloration on the roof and top of doors, while the rest of the car is in decent shape but needs some shining up to do. I've never waxed/compounded the car since I've owned it. Can I use the 3m super duty or 3m perfect it polish to compound?would the 3m super duty compound be too aggressive? Or would it be better to use the 3m perfect it polish? Is a polish similar to compound? My plan is to use a da polisher with either the 3m super compound or polish with a heavy or medium cut pad and then finish it off with some wax with a finish pad. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys for the help.
    can u post pics? are you sure the discoloration you see is not clear coat failure?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What compound and polish to use on car??-image-jpgWhat compound and polish to use on car??-image-jpgFinally able to get pics to show you what I mean. It's hard to see but I hope this helps to show the oxidation/discoloration/ or orange peel. I'm not sure what's going on or if it can be fix by a newbie like myself. Also how do you get tar What compound and polish to use on car??-image-jpgWhat compound and polish to use on car??-image-jpgoff your car?

Post Thanks / Like

To get tar off the car (and gum, tree sap, etc...) use Gasoline. Will not harm the paint and costs about $2 a gallon!!
    It's easy to be patriotic when all it takes is a bumper sticker.... Thank a vet.

www.superiorfinishar.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions for the above posts??? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use the 3m products since they are rotary based and may even be too aggressive for what you are trying to do.

The McKee's 37 products already recommended are probably a good choice, but I'd also recommend McGuiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Both are inexpensive and can be purchased here or at most auto parts or big box stores. They are easy to use for people just starting out, but also work really well.

For tar I'm a fan of Stoner's Tarminator. Again, its a product you can buy here, but also find in lots of other places if you need it in a hurry.

Before touching the machine to your car, look over the links Mike provided and take it easy. Don't jump in full-bore and hit the car with the most aggressive product you have on hand. I would also recommend hitting the car with a clay bar before polishing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell from the picture of what is going on above the windows? Is it fading of the paint or other issue? Can it be fixed by compound in and polishing? Also would like to use my DA I already have if possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gradywhite3535 View Post
    Can you tell from the picture of what is going on above the windows? Is it fading of the paint or other issue? Can it be fixed by compound in and polishing? Also would like to use my DA I already have if possible?
    the short answer is this: Get it wet. If it goes away, you can polish it, if it stays like that, the clear is gone.
    It's easy to be patriotic when all it takes is a bumper sticker.... Thank a vet.

www.superiorfinishar.com