autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Glass (Damn you Streaks !!!)

Hey all, just picked up a brand new car (2016 VW Passat) and have been trying to clean the windows/glass but I get nothing but STREAKS !!!

I have used glass cleaners from Windex, Stoners, Invisible Glass and 3M Glass cleaner and although it'll get the windows clean
    they have all STREAKED when put into the direct sunlight. When the sun is shining directly on the glass, you can clearly see streaks all over.

I have used terry towels, microfiber towels and recently I have been using newspaper as someone said this will really eliminate streaking (not true).

I am thinking about trying Einszett 1 Klarscheiben (Glass Cleaner) or SprayWay Glass Cleaner (both on Amazon) and have excellent reviews and folks claiming no streaking. Not sure if I should spend the cash on these items?

So for you detailing professionals, what Glass Cleaner are you using that DOES NOT give streaks and any type of special method/towels I should be using?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Glass (Damn you Streaks !!!)

I'm no professional, but I've had really good luck with the Griot's Garage PFM window microfibers. Before that I used their regular window microfibers which are a tighter weave than your normal towels. Makes a huge difference. I think it matters less, but I use their window cleaner. I've have had success with pretty much any window cleaner.

I've also noticed less is definitely more for cleaning windows. Especially if they're already clean I use barely a spritz.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

fast glass towels is what you need
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it a deep clean with a clay bar and possibly a glass polish followed by a IPA wipedown. Then you might as well put a glass coating on it. Makes glass so much easier to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you doing the two towel method? I've found invisible glass to be the best I've tried so far. I used to use the aerosol can, but new they have a regular spray bottle. Another thing would be what the steaks are coming from. If you put armor all on the dash and it gets really hot out, I've find that it evaporates off and gets on the wind shield, and is a huge pain to get all off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    fast glass towels is what you need
    ??
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

Use a high end glass cleaner like Pinnacle McKee's etc. Use a waffle weave towel clean glass, spray a second time and clean again. Have not tried the Griot's PFM window microfibers oneheadlite mentioned but sounds interesting.
    If that does not work try a polish, may have oil or road grime.
    Here is a Mike Phillip's video on using polish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMraMEBOodk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    Are you doing the two towel method? I've found invisible glass to be the best I've tried so far. I used to use the aerosol can, but new they have a regular spray bottle. Another thing would be what the steaks are coming from. If you put armor all on the dash and it gets really hot out, I've find that it evaporates off and gets on the wind shield, and is a huge pain to get all off.
    Not using the two towel method. Spraying the cleaner directly onto the windshield then taking a big piece of crumpled up newspaper and wiping across until "clear and clean". When car is reparked in sunlight, streaks are showing.

Should I stop using newspapers and get a waffle towel? (never used a waffle towel before)

I do not use Armor All on the interior. My go-to interior cleaner is Einszett1 Cockpit Premium. Thats the only interior cleaner I use on all of my cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    ??
    Product Review: CarPro Fast Glass Towel

give the window a good polish, coat and use these(above link)....or just use the fast glass towel
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I must be a wierd because I have never used a glass cleaner on the outside of my windows. They get washed when the vehicle gets washed via 2 bucket or rinsless. They do get the occasional polish though.

On the inside I use the griots pfm with either megs D114, ONR, or opti clean. I stopped using glass cleaners on the inside too. I have also used fast glass towels with water only and great success!

If it's the exterior you are talking about give it a polish and start fresh. Try a rinseless wash if you have any.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast