autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Glass (Damn you Streaks !!!)

are you following up with a second clean and dry microfiber? That always does it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Two towel method with DEDICATED GLASS TOWELS! Cant stress this enough, you've likely used that same towel to apply a dressing, remove a polish etc. Any left over residue will cause headaches and frustration. Wet a plain short nap microfiber with glass cleaner of choice and scrub, follow up with dry waffle weave glass towels and buff away.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have that same problem ALL the time even with the two towels method.
    Now I use towels dedicated to only glass and wash them with the same "class" of towel.
    Not a problem anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yg1829 View Post
    I must be a wierd because I have never used a glass cleaner on the outside of my windows. They get washed when the vehicle gets washed via 2 bucket or rinsless. They do get the occasional polish though.

On the inside I use the griots pfm with either megs D114, ONR, or opti clean. I stopped using glass cleaners on the inside too. I have also used fast glass towels with water only and great success!

If it's the exterior you are talking about give it a polish and start fresh. Try a rinseless wash if you have any.
    I'm the same way. So I assume the window streaks are on the interior. I treat the exterior glass the same way I treat the paint normally

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanCarGuy View Post
    Not using the two towel method. Spraying the cleaner directly onto the windshield then taking a big piece of crumpled up newspaper and wiping across until "clear and clean". When car is reparked in sunlight, streaks are showing.

Should I stop using newspapers and get a waffle towel? (never used a waffle towel before)

I do not use Armor All on the interior. My go-to interior cleaner is Einszett1 Cockpit Premium. Thats the only interior cleaner I use on all of my cars.

The two towel method is using two separate microfiber towels that are dedicated for glass only. Spray the cleaning product directly on one towel, folded in half twice preferably. Then clean a section of the windshield with the wet towel, a small enough area that you can keep it from drying completely, and then use the dry towel to wipe that area while the glass is still slightly moist, and basically polish it with the dry towel. Then do other sections the same way, flipping the dry towel over if it starts to get moist. I can usually do half the windshield at one time. If it's really hot out and the product is drying fast, I'll do smaller sections. I also have a tool for windshields, but I forgot the brand name that has a triangular head on a pivoting handle, and comes with a microfiber cover and another polishing cover. I usually just use the polishing cover with it after doing the two towel method, or if it's hard to reach the corners by hand, I'll use the microfiber towel on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Another good tip is to not overuse your cleaner of choice. You don't need to drench the glass. All that excess needs to wiped up and may require more towels to get totally dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yg1829 View Post
    Another good tip is to not overuse your cleaner of choice. You don't need to drench the glass. All that excess needs to wiped up and may require more towels to get totally dry.
    This is good info too. I'll usually do all the windows with only spraying the towel once, just enough to get it slightly damp on one side.

Post Thanks / Like

Two words: SURGICAL TOWELS.

great friction to remove streaks and lint free.

this plus invisible glass for a kick-a$$ clean

Post Thanks / Like

What I been doing lately is having a WW towel wet at all times. Not soaked but damped. When it's time to do windows I will grab that plus another MF that gets used on glass only. Take the wet one wipe the window 1 time then follow up with the dry MF. If memory serves me right MF came out so people can clean their houses the "green" way. No chemicals only water.
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a write up I did on how I get streak free glass

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    We as detailers are always searching for the perfect way to clean glass and leaving it streak free.

Well I am happy to say I have found a method that works for me and I have been very happy with my results.

I will say that if you haven't used Sonax Glass Cleaner yet you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. With any Sonax product less is ALWAYS more. You never need to use a ton of product and if you are you are only wasting it.

From the AG Website

What you will need:
    Sonax Glass Cleaner
    Glass Towel (I use Sonax Towels AG doesn't carry)
    Unger Squeegee with black rubber cleaning blade

Step 1.

Look at your glass! You want to examine your glass so you know where more dirt or film maybe than in other areas.

Step 2

Spray a light even coat of the SOnax Glass cleaner over the entire area that you will be cleaning.

Step 3.

Take your glass towel and go over the entire surface of the area you are cleaning. Since I was doing the windshield I went over the entire windshield all at once. At this point we want to use the towel to remove the film and dirty areas. We are not focusing on leaving it streak free. We are agitating the dirt on the glass.

Step 4

After you have cleaned the glass with the towel now spray another light coat of glass cleaner over the area you are cleaning.

Now, take your cleaning squeegee and start at the top and move from one side to the other. After each pass you want to use a towel or a shop towel to clean the blade and dry the blade. On the next pass over lap the previous pass by 50%. Continue this until you have the window cleaned.

I hope you enjoyed my glass cleaning method for getting clean and streak free glass overtime.

Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast