autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on Pete's 53 Black Pearl Wax

Hi guys,

I just got in my Pete's 53 Black Pearl Wax and I'm excited to use it over my Black Light and Jet Seal I put on the car last weekend.

Question, the top of the wax is VERY firm. When I push down on it with my thumb I have to put a lot of pressure to break through the top hard layer into a softer layer with visible oils floating on the surface of the lower layer. The can is marked 10/27/15.

Does the hard crust and stamped date mean it's out of date or is this normal? Should I stir it up?

Question on Pete's 53 Black Pearl Wax-20160609_204149-jpg
    Car enthusiast, here to learn. 2015 Audi RS7.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on Pete's 53 Black Pearl Wax

looks fine to me, why would you poke your finger through it like that tho'?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    looks fine to me, why would you poke your finger through it like that tho'?
    Seemed extremely hard, wanted to see if the top had just crusted over. I've never had a wax with such a hard crust on the top when I opened it aside from a very old can. Maybe this is because of the oils and such they use? Should I try to mix it up?

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at a jar of Pete's 53 I have that's over three years old and it doesn't look like that, it's not crusty or oily. Hopefully you bought it from Autogeek.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that confirms what I suspected. Appears it's dried out on top (see how it cracked around the edges) and the layers of ingredients have separated below

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracking and crumbling of even new paste waxes is perfectly normal, a few swipes of a foam
    pad and the oily nature returns, no need to go poking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Cracking and crumbling of even new paste waxes is perfectly normal, a few swipes of a foam
    pad and the oily nature returns, no need to go poking.
    I have two jars of Pete's 53 and neither of them look like that or are oily or crusty and they are 3+ years old. You can't poke your finger into them like that either. They have been stored in room temp.

Mine are dated 4/23/13
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 jars of Petes's, ones new never used, both cracked, as are my DodoJuices, Mothers, Meguiars, Soft99, other Chemical Guys waxes, Natty's etc. My Collinite paste waxes are the only ones not cracked come to think of it. The Mothers pure carnauba paste even came with a paper inside stating cracking/crumbling is normal during transportation and doesnt affect product quality. I have around 50 types of paste waxes and randomly open jars of wax I am about to purchase and almost always find bits broken inside along with cracks. The top part of waxes being exposed will dry up over time naturally, as mentioned above a few swipes to reveal the "moist" area below and you good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    I have 2 jars of Petes's, ones new never used, both cracked, as are my DodoJuices, Mothers, Meguiars, Soft99, other Chemical Guys waxes, Natty's etc. My Collinite paste waxes are the only ones not cracked come to think of it. The Mothers pure carnauba paste even came with a paper inside stating cracking/crumbling is normal during transportation and doesnt affect product quality. I have around 50 types of paste waxes and randomly open jars of wax I am about to purchase and almost always find bits broken inside along with cracks. The top part of waxes being exposed will dry up over time naturally, as mentioned above a few swipes to reveal the "moist" area below and you good to go.
    Do they all have a 1/4" crust with a bottom layer that is oily, like the oils have separated partially and the upper layer is very firm? I guess what I was expecting was a more consistent product with it the same through all the layers, that's why I pushed my finger in it when I saw it was so crusty. I expected the layer beneath to be similar to the top layer if it was good. When it was very different in consistency from the top layer that's when I wrote my post.

I used chemical guys black light and then jet seal, I was just wanting to avoid ruining my prior hard work if this was bad...

If you're saying it's fine then I will go ahead and use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StoleIt View Post
    Do they all have a 1/4" crust with a bottom layer that is oily, like the oils have separated partially and the upper layer is very firm? I guess what I was expecting was a more consistent product with it the same through all the layers, that's why I pushed my finger in it when I saw it was so crusty. I expected the layer beneath to be similar to the top layer if it was good. When it was very different in consistency from the top layer that's when I wrote my post.

I used chemical guys black light and then jet seal, I was just wanting to avoid ruining my prior hard work if this was bad...

If you're saying it's fine then I will go ahead and use?
    dude, just go for it, its not like it going to set your car on fire and remove what you put on there previously, its a solvent based wax, if it doesn't work it won't harm your paint. Use the wax, if it doesn't work then get a refund, whatever but its not going to damage anything, its just some bee's wax and carnauba.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast