autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad inducing micro swirls in the paint?

I am getting out a lot of the major defects but for some reason the pads are leaving behind micro swirls. I don't think my towels are causing the micro swirls as I am wiping off the polish in one direction and they are fresh out of the bag and are decent quality (CG). I have tried all different kinds of variations with the chemical guys pads and polishes and I can't seem to get a clear finish on my paint. I have gotten some great advice from a well renowned detailer. His advice to me was to use a MEGS microfiber cutting pad with M105 and then to follow it up with M205 with a yellow/white Rupes pad.

What do you guys think? Maybe it could be pad contamination? Maybe it could be products not working with the paint well? I'm not sure based on all the different opinions I have gotten.

Check out my videos on youtube to get an idea of what I am talking about (micro swirls)

https://youtu.be/h856LDuIqhM
    https://youtu.be/bH_tjQwL60c
    https://youtu.be/PeT-ddEx7vA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad inducing micro swirls in the paint?

What pads ,product and machine are you currently using
    Hi my name is Steve and I am a Griotsaholic

Post Thanks / Like

Are you brushing the pad off and cleaning on the fly?

I didn't click on the links, but unless it's product pad combo I would say you have some contaminants on the pad...
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

The M205 on the yellow pad can leave some marring. Try loading the pad and then turn the speed down. Run a couple of passes and check, then don't add product and run a couple of more passes. If the paint is on the softer side, you may have to dilute the 205 mixture.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HUMP DIESEL View Post
    The M205 on the yellow pad can leave some marring. Try loading the pad and then turn the speed down. Run a couple of passes and check, then don't add product and run a couple of more passes. If the paint is on the softer side, you may have to dilute the 205 mixture.

HUMP
    Well, I haven't used those products yet. I am currently using chem guys hex logic pads and Vline polishes. I have been told that their pads aren't the best and that I should probably go with a MG micro cutting pad along with rupes yellow and white foam finishing pad. My main concern though is the minor scratches I'm being left with after compounding/polishing the paint. Those scratches were not there before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StephenK View Post
    What pads ,product and machine are you currently using
    Chemical guys hex logic pads and TorqX.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Are you brushing the pad off and cleaning on the fly?

I didn't click on the links, but unless it's product pad combo I would say you have some contaminants on the pad...
    Well those are just test spots, so I didn't think I had to clean the pads out because I hadn't used them. Of course I did wash them before performing another test spot.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben12 View Post

I am getting out a lot of the major defects but for some reason the pads are leaving behind micro swirls.

I have tried all different kinds of variations with the chemical guys pads and polishes and I can't seem to get a clear finish on my paint.

When it comes to polishing paint, especially clearcoats due to the fact that they are scratch-sensitive, I always tell people the MOST important factor is the abrasive technology.

Apparently I'm wrong as the majority of guys that have answered my poll say it's technique.

See for yourself....

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

And I just respectfully disagree. It's real simple. The first thing that comes into contact with the scratch-sensitive paint is the abrasive. Not your technique.

Not sure what guru you spoke with but as a former Meguiar's employee, actually the primary instructor for all their detailing classes from 2002 to 2009, I'd say his recommendations were "good".

M105 and M205 are good products. I prefer M100 and I'll tend to use other polishes instead of M205 as it tends to like hard paints and can micro-mar soft paints. Then some guys explain all kinds of ways to get M205 to work on soft paint when it's simpler and faster to just use a polish that works great on all paints.

I switched Wayne Carini's shop over to Pinnacle Advanced Compound and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish for all their paint correction in the detailing bay and for compounding and polishing after wet sanding and he works on million dollar cars.

SONAX uses great abrasive technology in their compounds as does Menzerna and RUPES too.

Take a look at some of these t test out.

Also - microfiber pads are at their core FIBER pads. The pads are made up of thousands of individual fibers and each one of these individual fibers can put it's individual cut in the paint and this shows up as micro-marring.

Nothing wrong with fiber pads for hard paints and product ion work but foam pads and specifically FLAT faced foam pads will finish out nicer more consistently on all paint systems as compared to any type of fiber pad.

For what it's worth...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...sorry I didn't read the entire post...
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben12 View Post
    Well, I haven't used those products yet. I am currently using chem guys hex logic pads and Vline polishes. I have been told that their pads aren't the best and that I should probably go with a MG micro cutting pad along with rupes yellow and white foam finishing pad. My main concern though is the minor scratches I'm being left with after compounding/polishing the paint. Those scratches were not there before.

My advice remains the same.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1388298

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Hexlogic Pads. They are not everyone's favorite but I've been using them for a while and have no issues. Here's my pure black Audi that's been polished with nothing but their pads. Here's our metallic Van after HDSpeed and a green hex pad. Similar color to your Mustang.

IMO the Ford Paint which can be tough is likely just not being finished out enough. The above will take care of that nicely. Start with a green pad and if need be go orange. However, I think Green will suffice.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast