autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help selecting new polish for soft honda and mazda paint..

I previously owned a 2002 MPV, and currently own a CRV. The CRV paint is soft, the MPV paint is medium hard, but not as hard as my BMW. From your description, what you need is a finishing polish. I find Meguiars M205 with a Lake Country finishing pad finished both vehicles nicely. I have no experience with the products you are considering. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I also looked into Optimum Hyper polish since i might get optimum gloss coat..but many people complained about sprayer getting clogged so not sure about it..dont want to use the product once..i dont have finishing pads only one hex logic black should i invest into finishing pads or polishing pads will be fine..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I also looked into Optimum Hyper polish since i might get optimum gloss coat..but many people complained about sprayer getting clogged so not sure about it..dont want to use the product once..
    I've never had a sprayer clog using any of the OPT spray polishes. I have sprayed my polisher, my arm, the side of my house, etc.

All kidding aside, many users don't even bother with the sprayer and just use a ketchup bottle, etc. Usually the spray polishes ship with a regular cap and the sprayer not installed, just keep the cap, and if the sprayer malfunctions, you can simply use it without spraying. Hyper Polish is a very nice product.

Post Thanks / Like

For Honda's I like good ole fashion M105/M205. However, I usually opt for Ultimate Compound over M105. UC/105 on an orange LC pad and M205 on a white LC pad.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Dan, UP finishes good on soft paint?
    I will second the vote for UP on soft paint.

I use it on a 2013 crimson Toyota Highlander and a 2010 gray Mazda3. Using a white LC flat pad I get great results on both cars. Typically I'm only dealing with very mild swirling, but the UP has corrected moderate swirls on the Toyota with ease.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest M205 or UP as well. I was running out of M205 and AG had sent me a free UP sample in one of the sales.

Here is a thread of mine - Recently polished my Golden Brown Accord with UP and a FINISHING pad. Came out looking amazing - at least based on the condition of the paint.

I used a Flex 3401 , speed 5, UP/M205 (on different areas) with a Black Hybrid Finishing pad

2016 Honda Accord V6 Sport - My 3rd Detail (With actual pics :P )

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for all the suggestions..one last thing what color hex logic should i use with ultimate polish(Blue, White or green from chemical guys) i have all their pads..i will be getting ultimate polish soon along with eraser for IPA wipedown after using the polish..Also thinking about getting lake country thinpro ones i read thinner pads are little better..any suggestions if i decide to stock up on thin pro pads which one should i get..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Thank you guys for all the suggestions..one last thing what color hex logic should i use with ultimate polish(Blue, White or green from chemical guys) i have all their pads..i will be getting ultimate polish soon along with eraser for IPA wipedown after using the polish..Also thinking about getting lake country thinpro ones i read thinner pads are little better..any suggestions if i decide to stock up on thin pro pads which one should i get..
    I have extensive experience using the green and blue hex logic pads. I use the green for cutting. I like them best with Meguiar's M100, Ultimate Compound, Menzerna FG400, and Rupes Zephir. The green pads are a medium density, but very coarse and gritty feeling. Even more than their traditional cutting pads. I find over time that once those more dense pads soften up, they tend not to pick up as much material as the green.

The Blue is my go to general purpose pad. With the M205 and Ultimate Polish lower speeds and lighter pressure can be used to finesse the paint. I'm typically on speed 4 on the PC when refining the finish after compounding. If I'm using those polishes as a one step where I'm working on swirls, I'm at speed 5 or 6. Menzerna PF2500, SF4000, and Rupes Keramik also work well with this pad on the PC.

The standard selection for these pads are as follows:
    - Orange for curring.
    - White for polishing.
    - Black for finishing/waxing

Additional notes:
    The green, blue, and black pads in that line up feature "American" foams that use open cell construction. Green is 60 pores per inch, Blue is 70, and Black is 80.

These pads are different from European open cell foam in that they're more pliable. They also seem to exhibit their own cut to an extent (next time you are washing all your pads, soak them and see which on has the most texture. It was always the green one for me). The cells on a European foam are much smaller and tighter. European open cell foam is fantastic for using higher pressure, but the same technique doesn't work well for me when using the American foams, where light to firm pressure works best for me.

Finally, last I understood Buff and Shine manufacturers the Hex Logic pads for CG. You can get the same quality foams right here at Autogeek, and the peace of mind that comes with their excellent customer service. While I really like the hex cut, I like doing business with AG even more, so I've been sourcing my pads here.

You can peruse my gallery to see how far I've pushed these pads in the PC vs 1000 grit. There are some pics and a write up of my assessment there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12