autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for BOSS Cream users - Correcting/Perfecting

I recently added the Griot's BOSS Correcting Cream (+ the BOSS correcting pads), Perfecting Cream (+ matching pads), and the BOSS Microfiber pads (just in case) to my arsenal in preparation for doing full paint correction on a couple cars. The plan after your normal surface prep work was to go:
    1: Correcting Cream with whichever pad the test spot deemed necessary
    2: Perfecting Cream with Perfecting Pads
    3: Follow with Liquid Gloss Poly Wax to be topped with the Premium Carnauba Paste Wax after the Poly Wax cures. (Yes, my name is John and I'm a Griot's-aholic...)

My question is - Did I over buy and the Perfecting Cream is going to be redundant?

I keep reading how well people have had the Correcting Cream and even Fast Correcting Cream finish off, so I'm wondering if I'll need the extra step?

The cars in question are my oyster grey '06 A6 avant and my wife's '12 phantom black Q5. Both have had paintwork done if that brings up any input or pointers. I'll be using a GG 6" with 6.5" pads (and yes, I'm kicking myself for not converting to 5")

Thanks for any input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for BOSS Cream users - Correcting/Perfecting

I'm interested to hear the answer to this too......maybe Joe (next level detail) can chime in

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say you overbought. It will all depend on how the paint system you're working on will respond. If the paint system you're working on finishes well with the correcting cream and using the perfecting cream added ZERO benefit then you don't have to use the perfecting cream. But there are "soft" paint systems out there that haze up pretty bad after the initial compounding. This is a perfect application of the perfecting cream.

Your oyster grey Audi may finish down well after the correcting cream thus not requiring you to use the perfecting cream. But your wife's phantom black Audi might haze up after using the correcting cream requiring you to finish it off with perfecting cream. Or vice-versa. Heck, there might be some "soft" paint systems that could potentially respond well with just perfecting cream alone. The possibilities are infinite. That's why Mike Phillips always advocates using a test spot to see what process/steps would work best for the paint you're working on before detailing the entire car.

Hope this helps.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a perfect example on when you'll need the perfecting cream... Here's are some pictures Zach posted in his recent detail work.

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45

First picture shows the before condition.

The right side of the second picture shows the panel compounded using the fast correcting cream. This left some hazing as shown. Left side of the second picture is after he polished it off using Carpro Reflect. I think perfecting cream would achieve similar haze removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely helps. So it sounds like I may be doing multiple test spots on each car if I can identify where the paintwork has been done, or just be prepared to adjust on the fly as needed?

Full confession- I haven't really done test spots before. I haven't been reading on these forums for terribly long, and before that I hadn't heard of the practice. In the past I would just start mild and bump more aggressive as needed per problem area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Absolutely helps. So it sounds like I may be doing multiple test spots on each car if I can identify where the paintwork has been done, or just be prepared to adjust on the fly as needed?

Full confession- I haven't really done test spots before. I haven't been reading on these forums for terribly long, and before that I hadn't heard of the practice. In the past I would just start mild and bump more aggressive as needed per problem area.
    These articles by Mike Phillips will be a good read then:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-spot.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...hind-term.html

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna need to try the BOSS creams.

<sigh...anudder purchase...>
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a detail I did wherein I used the Griot's BOSS correcting cream with the Griot's BOSS microfiber pad:

This paint system responded extremely well and finished LSP ready. Therefore it didn't require any further polishing.

Here's my review on the Griot's BOSS Creams/Pads if you're interested:
    Review: Griot's Garage BOSS Creams and Pads

9. Likes Artdnj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your M5 article was one I read and had in mind regarding how well the Correcting Cream finished off, even with a Microfiber pad. I'm going to reread that whole thread again.

Thanks for all the links and pictures! Super helpful.

When I get a chance to dig in and start the process, I'll take my first stab at doing a write up with pictures.

Mike Honcho - You've gotta try them. I've only played with them briefly, but it's quickly apparent they're top notch. Any interest in a CC sample pack? Got a couple recently in an AG promo.
    Last edited by oneheadlite; 06-07-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Convincing Mike Honcho to spend more...

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the Fast Correcting Creme and the Correcting creme. I have used the FCC more than the CC, but I do use the CC for an in-between step. The FCC is really a great compound. Not the most aggressive, but it works about 8 out of 10 times.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast