Quote Originally Posted by SightHound01 View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The stains did not happen from this last wash (when the pics were taken) - it was from some previous time, and I see stains on the rims of our other car as well (was not washed this last time). On the other car, most of it comes out with some Fine Cut Cleaner by hand with a sponge (but not all of it).

I don't think heat was an issue - I wash in the morning and don't do much car work in the direct sunlight.

With the pics - I washed that morning and the pics were taken late afternoon, so I think the rust on the rotors is from sitting all day after being wet.

I've used the wheel cleaner multiple time before without a problem. I guess I left it on too long one day. I didn't know it could cause that much damage.

What I used when this happened: Black Magic No Scrub Wheel Cleaner.

What I just started using as of this last wash: Griot's Garage HD Wheel Cleaner

Is the Griots more mild? Yes I will definitely be paying attention to dwell time now.

As for the rims in the pics, I don't think I am going to mess with them any more myself - the issue is very slight, and I don't want to mess them up worse than they are.

Attachment 48853Attachment 48854

The products you used should not have caused that. They are safe to use on coated surfaces.
Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
My guess besides those horrible rotors,is that the cleaner that you used got trapped in the lug nuts from not rinsing good then you took off and the residual got baked onto the wheel.A very light apc is all that's needed for those wheels,what ever you are spraying stop those rotors are very bad looking.
Again that is nothing abnormal. Water causes that reaction as well. Any fluids to the rotors will cause that look except for oil, but I would not recommend you put oil on your rotors if you plan on stopping lol. His rotors are made of cast iron therefore rust easily occurs when it comes in contact with moisture. It is not some abnormal chemical that is the culprit that affect on cast iron can be easily caused by just tap water.
Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is not the culprit. It's safe on all wheels and is PH Balanced and non-acidic.
It's the only wheel cleaner I use because of that... (risk mitigation).
There are others with those properties you know? But if you like the Griots product then great!