autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stains on rims

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stains on rims

I have a fairly new car - about 900 miles on it and about five weeks old. I went to work on the rims this last weekend and noticed some stains. I tried a number of products to try to remove them: swirl remover, a more aggressive swirl/cut remover, clay, rim cleaner (Griots), bug and tar remover, and aluminum polish. The aluminum polish didn't turn black, so they must be clear coated? The polishing I did was by hand and in one test area. The stains are on the front rims only.

Please see the attached images - the stains are on the aluminum colored parts (not the black parts) - they don't jump right out but they are there - the drip mark looking things.

Any suggestions for how to remove them?

The car is a 2016 Subaru Outback.

Stains on rims-img_20160530_174212-jpgStains on rims-img_20160530_174222-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stains on rims

Did you ever spray an acidic or abrasive wheel cleaner on them and have it dry too fast cause the wheels were hot or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the looks of those rotors I would see damage from a cleaner on a hot wheel.cant see the imperfections but understand your scenario.If so there is no fix,other than conceal with silicone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Buy the looks of those rotors I would see damage from a cleaner on a hot wheel.cant see the imperfections but understand your scenario.If so there is no fix,other than conceal with silicone.
    Good call...didnt even notice rhe rotors the first time i looked at the pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Rotors discolor like that with just water. I have seen it a million times. OP probably took pics of the wheels right after he tried detailing them on his own so they have been sitting awhile. Once you move the car and apply the brakes that discoloration disappears. However, it does appear some sort of caustic cleaner/ or maybe perhaps even hard water stains could have caused this. These wheels aren't bare metal. So using products for bare metal finishes is not a good idea obviously. Depending on how deep the BSD's go you can try a normal compound that you would use for body paint. Because that is the same thing you are essentially correcting. They are not anodized and I doubt they are powder coated. So you are dealing with painted wheels. I think Meguairs sells their water spot remover OTC. You can try picking up a bottle and applying it on the affected areas. You can apply by hand but for faster better results machine application is best. But you can really damage the finish with this product too if you aren't careful that's why I would still recommend a professional handle this as you have already created enough damage. And you are literally throwing everything at it pissing in the wind. Happy detailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The stains did not happen from this last wash (when the pics were taken) - it was from some previous time, and I see stains on the rims of our other car as well (was not washed this last time). On the other car, most of it comes out with some Fine Cut Cleaner by hand with a sponge (but not all of it).

I don't think heat was an issue - I wash in the morning and don't do much car work in the direct sunlight.

With the pics - I washed that morning and the pics were taken late afternoon, so I think the rust on the rotors is from sitting all day after being wet.

I've used the wheel cleaner multiple time before without a problem. I guess I left it on too long one day. I didn't know it could cause that much damage.

What I used when this happened: Black Magic No Scrub Wheel Cleaner.

What I just started using as of this last wash: Griot's Garage HD Wheel Cleaner

Is the Griots more mild? Yes I will definitely be paying attention to dwell time now.

As for the rims in the pics, I don't think I am going to mess with them any more myself - the issue is very slight, and I don't want to mess them up worse than they are.

Stains on rims-griots-2-jpgStains on rims-black-magic-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

My guess besides those horrible rotors,is that the cleaner that you used got trapped in the lug nuts from not rinsing good then you took off and the residual got baked onto the wheel.A very light apc is all that's needed for those wheels,what ever you are spraying stop those rotors are very bad looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is not the culprit. It's safe on all wheels and is PH Balanced and non-acidic.
    It's the only wheel cleaner I use because of that... (risk mitigation).

Post Thanks / Like

That black magic product implying that use only on chrome and no other wheel finishes.I would suspect there is some acid in that product.Those rotors are etched from a chemical when there dark orange like that.

Post Thanks / Like

It does look like staining from a cleaner left to dry on the rim.

Could it be water spots? Any sprinklers near where you park at home or work?

Do you notice anything similar on the paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast