autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The Quad Fold Microfiber Towel

I must be doing it wrong, I try to fold my MF towels in to nice neat hand sized squares before wiping off some wax etc, but everytime they end up in a mushy balled up pile underneath my hand. Is there some trick to keep the towels from balling up?

For example, do you always orient the seams of the fold? or are you using your thumb to hold? perhaps I'm applying too much pressure in an attempt to buff off some wax? Is my car not as clean as I think it is so the towel is grabbing the paint?

Example: sprayed a hood with maybe 8-10 sprays of Optimum Car Wax, went to remove immediately with Gold Jr towel, and after 1 pass on the hood, had a balled up towel crinkled under my palm. Said okay, wiped down rest of hood, then grabbed new clean Gold Jr and folded and wiped with 4 quadrant method and no problems once the wax had bonded to the paint.

Vehicle was clayed 2 weeks ago, and freshly washed using 2BM & CG Maxi Suds II soap, baggie test was smooth but not glass smooth (another question for another thread)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Quad Fold Microfiber Towel

I use short nap towels to remove wax. Alot of towels will grab

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an thread by Mike.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ber-towel.html

And a tip...8-10 sprays of Optimum's Car Wax is probably enough to do a whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Start in the middle of the area that has product to be removed by doing a small twist left / twist right.
    Pull the towel away, and you'll see you created a small circle of product removed, place the towel back in the center and start doing small circles outwards from the center. And as mentioned always use the short nap side of the MF towel. Flip the towel and give it a second wipe.

See 7:30 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN3u1xuGY-8

Once you've exhausted all sides of the towel (in various folds) get a new towel. The nap of the MF will load up with product and become ineffective. I go through probably 40 or more or so (depending on the project and cond of the car) MF towels during a detail...

I keep towels separated:

Gold Plush Jr. (older towels) for compound and polish removal (once they get linty, I throw them out).
    Gold Plush Jr. (NEW towels) for LSP and final wipe down.
    Generic Brand MF Towels (interior only)
    Black MF towels (Trim, door jams, wheels, etc...)
    White Waffle towels - Glass.

Hope all this helps!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

op it's an art form lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Once a wax has cured you should be able to buff it off with little to no effort. Almost no pressure on the towel. It may depend on the type of wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Here's an thread by Mike.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ber-towel.html

And a tip...8-10 sprays of Optimum's Car Wax is probably enough to do a whole car.
    The quantity of wax is probably the issue (partly) and I'm following exactly as Mike has written in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Start in the middle of the area that has product to be removed by doing a small twist left / twist right.
    Pull the towel away, and you'll see you created a small circle of product removed, place the towel back in the center and start doing small circles outwards from the center. And as mentioned always use the short nap side of the MF towel. Flip the towel and give it a second wipe.

See 7:30 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN3u1xuGY-8

Once you've exhausted all sides of the towel (in various folds) get a new towel. The nap of the MF will load up with product and become ineffective. I go through probably 40 or more or so (depending on the project and cond of the car) MF towels during a detail...

I keep towels separated:

Gold Plush Jr. (older towels) for compound and polish removal (once they get linty, I throw them out).
    Gold Plush Jr. (NEW towels) for LSP and final wipe down.
    Generic Brand MF Towels (interior only)
    Black MF towels (Trim, door jams, wheels, etc...)
    White Waffle towels - Glass.

Hope all this helps!
    I understand the breaking of the surface tension for when a wax has hardened/hazed, but with a spray wax I don't see how the twist method helps? or maybe it does by creating a thin film on the MF nap.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDetails View Post
    Once a wax has cured you should be able to buff it off with little to no effort. Almost no pressure on the towel. It may depend on the type of wax.
    When i apply XMT Carn glaze or 845, I have no issue with it but this spray wax is different.

I also may need to adjust using different towels, I always am using a longer nap MF towel because internally I just assume they are safer for paint.. perhaps I need to start using the "Cost...Co" yellow towels for wax removal, instead of the cobra Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be "grabby" on dry paint so it may be the product. You could try it with the damp towel to see if it makes a difference.

I use it a lot on "wet" paint. Wet with rinseless or water.