autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone here (besides me) not use grit guards?

I've been ONRing my car for at least seven years. Occasionally I will spray it down at a do-it-yourselfer when the car is absolutely filthy in the winter. Other than that, which is maybe once or twice a year, I ONR it only. My car is a nonmetallic black 350Z. Not only do I not use a grit guard, but I only use one bucket. Years ago, before I really got into detailing, my car was a swirled out mess. In 2009 I bought a Flex, some pads, 105, 205 and the rest is history. I got my car swirl free and it requires a fine polish once a year (SF4500) to make it perfect again. The car is a DD, so in my opinion, it's only going to be perfect for so long. In any case, it has never come close to what the car looked like in 2009. For the most part it stays fairly swirl free.

I guess my point is, is I really wonder how much a grit guard actually helps. With all the large orders of stuff I've made on here over the years, for some reason it never even crosses my mind to purchase grit guards. I started using a rinse bucket at one point, but then stopped shortly thereafter. I just didn't feel like it was worth it or that it would really make a noticeable difference over time. (I could be wrong).

Does anyone else not use grit guards? One bucket only?

I'd love a Spotless system someday, so I can go back to a traditional wash, but that's not going to happen for some time.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone here (besides me) not use grit guards?

I've never really seen the point of them if you're using a two-bucket method. That being said, I did just purchase one this last weekend, so we'll see.
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

I have use the grit guard as a 2 bucket method for a rinseless wash.

Was it like this?

I have not detail my Z yet but soon. I am moving to a new house. I have only practice at my job. I take my 3401 to work and practice because my job has a Rotary mikita

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you use multiple microfibers and do not reintroduce the dirty towels back in the solution you will not need a Grit Guard or two buckets, but most already know this info

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys its insurance, and for 10 dollars to ensure dirt staying at the bottom it is 100000000% worth it. And it does work.

If your mit and car is dirty and you put it in the wash or rinse bucket it is floating around ready to stick back on your wash media, no questions asked 100%

The grit guard ensures its not going to be floating around and getting on your wash media. So it is ideal to have it in both buckets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    If you use multiple microfibers and do not reintroduce the dirty towels back in the solution you will not need a Grit Guard or two buckets, but most already know this info
    Your doing a good job.

I would still use it just in case the micro fiber towel has a few dirt that it pick up. That's my opinion but other than that your doing a good job.

Keep it shining pal

Post Thanks / Like

I read through this post fast I kinda lost my self.

Well my car is swirl up bad because I've been doing everything wrong before I found out about the AG way. I became a believer with the rinseless wash and detailing the right way.

Real rider has a point about the multiple towels. I would still use a grit guard but that's opinions if using multiple towels. I'll use it just to be super safe but that's my opnion

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I will always use them, but mainly because I still do a two bucket wash, but I don't see a point if someone is using a rinsless with multiple towels. If dirt isn't being reintroduced to the soap bucket I don't really see a need.

Post Thanks / Like

I also still use them and use 2 rinse buckets with a foam gun to wash. I have a black car so i have adopted many habits to reduce as much as i can from scratching. I can't quantify a difference they make however always see what is left at the bottom of each rinse bucket when i'm done. With regard to ONR washes, i use them in both buckets as well and see quite a bit left below the "rinse" guard as well. I just like the additional method of safety on my black vehicle.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I also still use them and use 2 rinse buckets with a foam gun to wash. I have a black car so i have adopted many habits to reduce as much as i can from scratching. I can't quantify a difference they make however always see what is left at the bottom of each rinse bucket when i'm done. With regard to ONR washes, i use them in both buckets as well and see quite a bit left below the "rinse" guard as well. I just like the additional method of safety on my black vehicle.
    I own 2 black cars as well, both never get swirled. I still can't get past not doing a traditional foam pre wash then two bucket. Plus call me weird but I still find it fun. And with the pressure washer I can get under the car and inside and around the wheels.

Maybe in the cold I can do the rinseless Gary Dean method of some kind in the garage but I have yet to fully give up the old fashion way and adapt to the "waterless".

And let's all be honest, it's far from waterless with the amount of towels that need to be machined washed after every use lol

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast