autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does it really cost $500 to detail your own car?

Post Thanks / Like

I would just say depends on your expectations and condition of your car. You don't have to go all out day one if its a new car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question bluntly, Yes... I will just say it... I am also newerish and will be breaking that threshold soon. I wouldn't buy all at once. Just buy the basic car wash stuff (no pressure washer), sealant, detail spray, good microfiber towels. You can apply the sealant with a cheap $20 random orbital for now and learn (some may not like that idea but if your trying to start out cheap, its one way to go about it). Though getting the Groits 6 is a good idea. I would keep reading here and you will learn a lot and grow into the products you can associate with. If you buy all this stuff now you will end up buying different brands of the same product because you found something different, this is where it get expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

polisher
    backing plate
    medium cut pad
    polishing pad
    compound
    polish
    sealant
    onr
    grit guard
    big red sponge
    polish removal towels
    drying towels
    pearl if you must
    IronX
    clay towel

Onr can be used to wipe down the interior

Post Thanks / Like

Yes....it can be maybe more...maybe less.

I just did my own, I guess you could call it a paint correction to some degree. I already had a pressure washer. But I spent maybe close to 400. Foam cannon, Iron X, IPA, 14 different pads among two different brands, maybe 30 MF towels of all various flavors, clay bar kit, PC polisher, variety of compounds, polishes, waxes, detailer, 5" backing plate. Yea, easily close to 400/500. But the thing is, I now have enough supplies to do several more polishing's when the time comes.

If you have the patience its well worth the effort and experience.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Does it really cost $500...?

That's like asking:
    "You're going to spend how much
    on equipment, etc. to climb Mt. Everest"?!?!

In other words:
    Reaching the peak of detailing-perfection
    for your (or another's) vehicle is not always
    an inexpensive proposition.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing to keep in mind is this is an investment in the future. Most of these products/tools will last you months if not years. It may sound like a lot of money up front ( and don't get me wrong it definitely is), but you have these tools and products for future use for another detail.

As many have said, start with the basics and grow from there. It took me two years before I jumped on board the DA bandwagon. I am glad I did, but I was able to maintain my vehicles without it. Wheel woolies are awesome, and definitely get some grit guards for your buckets.

Post Thanks / Like

The forum can help you better if you state A) what is your ideal budget B) what exactly you are trying to achieve? i.e - just a sparkling new car, restoring a beat up daily driver, or making show car perfect paint?

As someone who was in your position a few years ago, if you are looking for an entry level "kit" to get started then I would spend more on a quality machine like the Griots Griot’s Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher, and buy less of the other stuff. A lot of good products will do several jobs. Don't get caught up in the marketing hype from the product producers - there are many amazing, high quality products, but remember at the end of the day their job is to take the money from your wallet and put it into their wallet.

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a different set of products but yes, $500 sounds about right by the time you add up everything. You'll then likely end up spending another $300 to $400 more in additional items that you will either want or find yourself needing.

Look at it this way, it's an investment in tools and products to protect and care for and better enjoy a large purchase. The reality is that on even a $20k $800 which goes a long way in terms of lasting is nothing. Heck, I have way more than that in my cabinet for our personal vehicles, but I bought it over time and have used them all over the past many years.

Welcome to the addiction.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post
    The forum can help you better if you state A) what is your ideal budget B) what exactly you are trying to achieve? i.e - just a sparkling new car, restoring a beat up daily driver, or making show car perfect paint?

As someone who was in your position a few years ago, if you are looking for an entry level "kit" to get started then I would spend more on a quality machine like the Griots Griot’s Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher, and buy less of the other stuff. A lot of good products will do several jobs. Don't get caught up in the marketing hype from the product producers - there are many amazing, high quality products, but remember at the end of the day their job is to take the money from your wallet and put it into their wallet.
    Thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mention I do already have Klasse all-in-one and Klasse Sealant glaze. Would you still recommend the HD Speed/HD Poxy for paint correction over the Meguiar's products?

To answer your questions, I don't know what my ideal budget is, I guess whatever it takes to achieve my goal w/o being wasteful. As with most things I'm sure car detailing has diminishing returns where I can get 85% of the results for 50% of the budget...I think that is the sweet spot I'm after. For instance, someone above mentioned to just use D101 for my rubber cleaner and also that I don't need the sonus motor kote and CarPro Perl. That saves me $20 and I can still achieve the same results. My end goal is to have my new to me M3 looking fantastic with little paint defects and also to protect the paint from future swirl marks. I don't have the car yet and I've only seen it in pictures so I don't really know what shape the paint is in.

A few people are saying to get the GG polisher but I just don't see the value in it when I will use it once, maybe twice a year on my car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast