autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How much am I looking at for professional new car prep and coating?

I have a brand new car ordered and on the way and I just don't have the time or inclination anymore to do more than basic washing and waxing myself these days. I'd like to do things right from the beginning and have a coating put on it. There is one place in the area that installs CQuartz Finest but my guess is that would be much more than what I want to pay, but I really don't know. I guess my question is what does it usually cost for a new car prep and coating? I know it would likely vary depending on which coating is used, I'm just looking for ballpark figures. If it's more than I want to pay I'll probably just keep it old school and throw some DG 501 on it.

Also, I'm in the Pittsburgh area so if anyone here recommends any specific place I'd appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much am I looking at for professional new car prep and coating?

On a new car depending on the condition of paint 350 to 750.If needs multiple stages of polishing add on another 200 on top of the 750.Need more info color make is it 2dr or 4 dr. Every bit of that money done right will pay off in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a pro grade coating, figure $500 and up

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are in Pittsburg I highly recommend a high quality job be done and multiple layers of ceramic be installed all over the car! You are probably looking at well over 1000 for something like that but honestly that money will literally protect your vehicle and in the long run save you money. I never understand this whole mindset of not maintaining or putting money towards your vehicles appearance which is what everyone sees first and is the main selling point of a vehicle. Most modifications on a car these days you lose money. Why not do something that actually technically makes you money? My advice is spend the money and get a quality job done. In the long run you will come back and thank me. I know because I have been in this business 20 years and I can't even count how many people who have agreed with me on this. If you have any questions please let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little bit of an issue with this. If the customer isn't going to maintain the car and just run it through the car wash, what's the point. I've done a couple of 2 steps for my friends. I won't do it anymore. It's a waste of my time. Because they don't wash the car properly. Now if they really want me to do anything i just go over it with hd speed and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that someone going to spend that kind of money would have it maintained by a detailer at least once a month

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    I have a little bit of an issue with this. If the customer isn't going to maintain the car and just run it through the car wash, what's the point. I've done a couple of 2 steps for my friends. I won't do it anymore. It's a waste of my time. Because they don't wash the car properly. Now if they really want me to do anything i just go over it with hd speed and call it a day.
    lol this is why I stopped doing family cars

Post Thanks / Like

agreed I was gonna go there but what's the point,he will do whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree here.. my wifes new car came with perma guard paint protection on obsidian black (and interior).. it was done by the dealer, who of course did a poor light correction before the coating.. so now it has super fine holograms locked in.
    Subsequent super fine scratches show up lig a pig on this paint so i correct them properly, but then of course the perma guard is removed etc.. those panels get sealed and waxed..

In short.. total waste of time.. in this particular case after 12 months i'll be doing a full correction of the whole car, and using sealant and wax as usual.. the coating was a waste of time as I didn't have the same product to re-apply to areas once corrected.. this last point is the key..

For low maintenance you have to have access to the coating to undertake the unavoidable occaisonal correction every so often on a single patch of panel.. or be OK with living with the diminished finish until such a time as the coating is fully re-done after a year or two..

Given daily driver staus, being the wifes car and my kids being .. well kids.. its easier to do it the traditional way..

Post Thanks / Like

I too will and have turned down people because of the maintenance process they planned on using. I will do a one step for them but that is about it. Im not going to waste my time (even for money) on that. Id rather spend that time enjoying family and friends.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast