autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New guy looking for product recommendations

Hello, AGO!

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now and finally decided to register so I could ask a few questions of my own, so let's go through the usual first-post backstory.

I decided to pick up detailing as a way to keep myself busy and make some extra cash on weekends, while being able to market my services to my car enthusiast friends and other members of the local different car clubs/communities that I'm a part of. Since I know several other people who have their own little side-business inside the community, I wanted to be a part of that so that we could all work together and refer people to one another for our different services. For instance, one of my friends does paint and body work, and one does mechanical work. Mainly, I've just been doing work for friends and family (and one neighbor with a McLaren 650S) as opposed to trying to market to a lot of people that I don't personally know. It's only been several months since I've really started getting paid to do this, and so far it's going well. I haven't had too much trouble finding people who want some detailing done, but decent weather in the Houston area has been like an urban legend lately, and nobody wants their car cleaned when it's going to be rained on two days later.

Anyway, I started out how I imagine most amateur detailers start out nowadays, watching YouTube videos. I had heard a lot of my car friends mention that they use Chemical Guys products, so I looked into them first, and by now I must have watched 150 of their videos. So I started buying the CG products instead of the cheaper stuff from the local part stores and honestly, I can't say that I've been disappointed. But as I started using more and more of their products, I noticed that a lot of it is over-hyped (though most still work reasonably well), so I started searching for 3rd-party reviews that weren't directly from the CG website. It didn't take long for me to start reading some reviews here on AGO, and then reading more things, and more, and then I found myself downloading the app, and creating an account, and spending half (or more) of my work day reading up on more tips and tricks for things I should try when I get home.

Finally getting to the point of the thread, I would like some opinions on which of my CG products (if any) I should continue to use, or if there are any products that may work better for me. I like Chemical Guys' products and videos (despite all the hyperbole and buzzwords), but I want to make sure that I'm not missing out on any potentially superior products by sticking only to one brand. That said, I'm going to continue to use what I have until it's gone, because I don't get paid nearly enough to waste that kind of money, but I would like to have an idea of which products should be next on my list to try out.

What my "arsenal" currently consists of (note: all Chemical Guys products)
    Wash: Mr. Pink or Citrus Wash & Gloss
    Clay: Light/Medium "OG" clay bar with Clay Luber
    Polish: V32/34/36/38, which haven't gotten much use yet other than for headlight restoration
    Glaze: Black Light, Glossworkz
    Sealant: Jet Seal
    Wax: Butter Wet Wax
    QD: V07
    Wheels/tires: Signature series wheel cleaner to clean, Silk Shine as tire dressing
    Engine bay: Signature series orange degreaser to clean, Silk Shine to dress
    Glass: Glassworks
    APC: Nonsense
    Stain removal: Lightning Fast
    Also using their "workhorse" series MF towels and a few of the fluffy edgeless MF towels.

Hopefully I've managed to post this in an acceptable subforum, this is a lot different than posting in a Facebook group.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy looking for product recommendations

Welcome to the forum. Of the CG products you listed, I only have two of them...Mr Pink and Butter Wet Wax...both of which I like. Mr Pink makes good suds, and seems to clean well with good lubricity. Its not better (or worse) than Meguiars Gold Class, which is cheaper and available at WalMart.,,,but still a decent soap. Butter Wet Wax works as advertised....easy on/easy off, and I've been able to get 3-4 weeks out of an application.

CG stuff gets a bad rap on some forums, but like any other line, there's good and bad in it. Silk Shine gets some good reviews, and I like VRP as my tire dressing.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a bunch of sealants and I still think Jetseal is the best. It gets through rough winters with ease,so durable. And HV07 is always my go to qd. Both underrated

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

I use Mr. Pink in my foam gun, and absolutely love the amount of suds that it makes, has a great smell, and really has a nice slick and "cushiony" feel when washing. I've compared it to other soaps in my foam gun and it still comes out on top.

The biggest thing you'll realize is that everyone will have a preference of products for a specific job and it might not be right for you. Typically a general consensus will be noticeable, but don't be surprised if you get a lot of mixed opinions. Once you find something you like for a particular task, just stick with it even if it's not what some consider as the "standard." All that being said here is what I use as my go-to's for each particular category you mentioned:

Wash: Mr. Pink for foam gun & Megs Gold Class in the bucket.
    Clay: I use Mother's clay bar or Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Polish: Depending on what is needed I will use a mix of Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Removed, Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, or Megs 205 & 105 combo
    Glaze: Never used one
    Sealant: I use Collinite 845 & BlackFire Crystal Seal
    Wax: Usually Pinnacle Souveran on darker cars & Dodo Home Brew on light colors
    QD: ONR Dilution
    Wheels/Tires: Dodo Juice Supernatural Wheel Cleaner & Megs Gold Class from the bucket with various brushes. I then coat with DP Tire Gloss (Now Mckee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel)
    Engine Bay: Poorboys Bio-Degradable APC
    Glass: Invisible Glass
    Microfiber: Depending on the job I will use guzzler waffle weaves, supreme 530's, or Shine & Buff
    AIO: XMT 360
    Rinseless Wash: ONR, but will be trying Mckee's 37 Rinse Free Wash & Wax

Hope this helps!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Of the CG products you listed, I only have two of them...Mr Pink and Butter Wet Wax...both of which I like. Mr Pink makes good suds, and seems to clean well with good lubricity. Its not better (or worse) than Meguiars Gold Class, which is cheaper and available at WalMart.,,,but still a decent soap. Butter Wet Wax works as advertised....easy on/easy off, and I've been able to get 3-4 weeks out of an application.

CG stuff gets a bad rap on some forums, but like any other line, there's good and bad in it. Silk Shine gets some good reviews, and I like VRP as my tire dressing.
    Thanks! I actually just ordered some of the VRP the other day to see how it is, as the Silk Shine isn't just a little too dull for my taste on the tires. I like a bit of shine, but not greasy-looking. Hoping VRP does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    I used a bunch of sealants and I still think Jetseal is the best. It gets through rough winters with ease,so durable. And HV07 is always my go to qd. Both underrated
    I agree, it would be hard for me to replace those. I try to use the V07 somewhat sparingly though as it's pretty expensive compared to a normal QD.

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Welcome to AGO!

I use Mr. Pink in my foam gun, and absolutely love the amount of suds that it makes, has a great smell, and really has a nice slick and "cushiony" feel when washing. I've compared it to other soaps in my foam gun and it still comes out on top.

The biggest thing you'll realize is that everyone will have a preference of products for a specific job and it might not be right for you. Typically a general consensus will be noticeable, but don't be surprised if you get a lot of mixed opinions. Once you find something you like for a particular task, just stick with it even if it's not what some consider as the "standard." All that being said here is what I use as my go-to's for each particular category you mentioned:

Wash: Mr. Pink for foam gun & Megs Gold Class in the bucket.
    Clay: I use Mother's clay bar or Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Polish: Depending on what is needed I will use a mix of Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Removed, Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, or Megs 205 & 105 combo
    Glaze: Never used one
    Sealant: I use Collinite 845 & BlackFire Crystal Seal
    Wax: Usually Pinnacle Souveran on darker cars & Dodo Home Brew on light colors
    QD: ONR Dilution
    Wheels/Tires: Dodo Juice Supernatural Wheel Cleaner & Megs Gold Class from the bucket with various brushes. I then coat with DP Tire Gloss (Now Mckee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel)
    Engine Bay: Poorboys Bio-Degradable APC
    Glass: Invisible Glass
    Microfiber: Depending on the job I will use guzzler waffle weaves, supreme 530's, or Shine & Buff
    AIO: XMT 360
    Rinseless Wash: ONR, but will be trying Mckee's 37 Rinse Free Wash & Wax

Hope this helps!
    Thanks! You're absolutely right that a lot comes down to personal preference. I just don't want to shut myself out of trying other products simply because what I have right now works. I'll never know if I like something else better if I always use the same stuff.

I'll definitely try that XMT 360. It seems that a lot of people use an AIO as sort of their bread-and-butter, but it's not something I've done yet.
    Are those paste waxes or liquid? How long do they typically last?

I appreciate the suggestions and feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick370z View Post

Thanks! You're absolutely right that a lot comes down to personal preference. I just don't want to shut myself out of trying other products simply because what I have right now works. I'll never know if I like something else better if I always use the same stuff.

I'll definitely try that XMT 360. It seems that a lot of people use an AIO as sort of their bread-and-butter, but it's not something I've done yet.
    Are those paste waxes or liquid? How long do they typically last?

I appreciate the suggestions and feedback.
    If you want, a great way to experience different products without shelling out a lot of money is to subscribe to something like detail box. I can't remember forum rules for posting external links so I won't, but just google "the detail box" and it will come up. When I was a part of it it was $10/month and I would get at least 4 different samples of products as well as a towel of some kind in each box. You can also purchase small samples from AG directly if something peaks your interest.

AIO's are typically in the form of liquid that is usually thick from what I've experienced. I don't know of any paste AIO's. XMT 360 has been reformulated as Mckee's 37 360 so it will be under that name now with a longer time of protection (6 months) according to Nick from AG. AIO's are great because you can get a light clean, mild abrasives, and protection in one step. The cutting power can be changed depending on the pad that it is used with. I will bust out an AIO maybe twice a year for mine and my wife's car and it will last about a month in terms of protection (speaking specifically about XMT 360). I usually put Collinite 845 on top of it once I start to notice a lack of beading. I've been wanting to try HD SPEED since so many people speak highly of that AIO, but I'll give it a shot once I run out of XMT 360.

On another note, with all these new products you have, have you invested in a polisher yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    If you want, a great way to experience different products without shelling out a lot of money is to subscribe to something like detail box. I can't remember forum rules for posting external links so I won't, but just google "the detail box" and it will come up. When I was a part of it it was $10/month and I would get at least 4 different samples of products as well as a towel of some kind in each box. You can also purchase small samples from AG directly if something peaks your interest.

AIO's are typically in the form of liquid that is usually thick from what I've experienced. I don't know of any paste AIO's. XMT 360 has been reformulated as Mckee's 37 360 so it will be under that name now with a longer time of protection (6 months) according to Nick from AG. AIO's are great because you can get a light clean, mild abrasives, and protection in one step. The cutting power can be changed depending on the pad that it is used with. I will bust out an AIO maybe twice a year for mine and my wife's car and it will last about a month in terms of protection (speaking specifically about XMT 360). I usually put Collinite 845 on top of it once I start to notice a lack of beading. I've been wanting to try HD SPEED since so many people speak highly of that AIO, but I'll give it a shot once I run out of XMT 360.

On another note, with all these new products you have, have you invested in a polisher yet?
    My apologies, bad wording on my part. I was trying to ask about the actual waxes you had mentioned (Pinnacle Souveran & Dodo Home Brew).

I haven't gotten a polisher of my own yet, but my friend has let me borrow his PC on the few occasions where I've needed one. I'm leaning toward the GG6 when I do get around to buying one of my own.

Post Thanks / Like

VRP is easy to use and control the shine......you will like it

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, AGO!

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now and finally decided to register so I could ask a few questions of my own, so let's go through the usual first-post backstory.

I decided to pick up detailing as a way to keep myself busy and make some extra cash on weekends, while being able to market my services to my car enthusiast friends and other members of the local different car clubs/communities that I'm a part of. Since I know several other people who have their own little side-business inside the community, I wanted to be a part of that so that we could all work together and refer people to one another for our different services. For instance, one of my friends does paint and body work, and one does mechanical work. Mainly, I've just been doing work for friends and family (and one neighbor with a McLaren 650S) as opposed to trying to market to a lot of people that I don't personally know. It's only been several months since I've really started getting paid to do this, and so far it's going well. I haven't had too much trouble finding people who want some detailing done, but decent weather in the Houston area has been like an urban legend lately, and nobody wants their car cleaned when it's going to be rained on two days later.

Anyway, I started out how I imagine most amateur detailers start out nowadays, watching YouTube videos. I had heard a lot of my car friends mention that they use Chemical Guys products, so I looked into them first, and by now I must have watched 150 of their videos. So I started buying the CG products instead of the cheaper stuff from the local part stores and honestly, I can't say that I've been disappointed. But as I started using more and more of their products, I noticed that a lot of it is over-hyped (though most still work reasonably well), so I started searching for 3rd-party reviews that weren't directly from the CG website. It didn't take long for me to start reading some reviews here on AGO, and then reading more things, and more, and then I found myself downloading the app, and creating an account, and spending half (or more) of my work day reading up on more tips and tricks for things I should try when I get home.

Finally getting to the point of the thread, I would like some opinions on which of my CG products (if any) I should continue to use, or if there are any products that may work better for me. I like Chemical Guys' products and videos (despite all the hyperbole and buzzwords), but I want to make sure that I'm not missing out on any potentially superior products by sticking only to one brand. That said, I'm going to continue to use what I have until it's gone, because I don't get paid nearly enough to waste that kind of money, but I would like to have an idea of which products should be next on my list to try out.

What my "arsenal" currently consists of (note: all Chemical Guys products)
    Wash: Mr. Pink or Citrus Wash & Gloss - OK products but much better available such as Optimum Car Wash
    Clay: Light/Medium "OG" clay bar with Clay Luber - garbage, try the Nanoskin sponges, wash mitt or towel
    Polish: V32/34/36/38, which haven't gotten much use yet other than for headlight restoration. Garbage, once you try Griots, CarPro, Menzerna or HD polishes you'll never look back
    Glaze: Black Light, Glossworkz - I don't use glazes anymore but if I did I'd use Poorboys Blackhole
    Sealant: Jet Seal - way overpriced garbage. Try Menzerna Powerlock or CarPro (Hydr02, HydroFoam or Reload)
    Wax: Butter Wet Wax - I rarely use wax with the available sealants and coatings available now
    QD: V07 - ok product but attracts dust like crazy. A lot of other solid options available such as WG Uber which can be used as a RW also, Kenotek Showroom Shine, and Menz Paint Refresh
    Wheels/tires: Signature series wheel cleaner to clean, Silk Shine as tire dressing - Tires I use Megs Super Degreaser or APC and CarPro Perl to dress. A lot of other good options available also.
    Engine bay: Signature series orange degreaser to clean, Silk Shine to dress - Megs APC or Super Degreaser and CarPro Perl diluted properly
    Glass: Glassworks
    APC: Nonsense - a lot of good APC products available. I tried Nonsense but it isn't as powerful as Megs, Optimum, McKee's... too many to list
    Stain removal: Lightning Fast
    Also using their "workhorse" series MF towels and a few of the fluffy edgeless MF towels.

Hopefully I've managed to post this in an acceptable subforum, this is a lot different than posting in a Facebook group.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!
    Great story and welcome to AGO! This is how a lot of us start out. I also bought into the CG hype several years ago and shelled out way to much on their products. I've commented above what my thoughts are on their products and what I'd recommend.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies, bad wording on my part. I was trying to ask about the actual waxes you had mentioned (Pinnacle Souveran & Dodo Home Brew).

I haven't gotten a polisher of my own yet, but my friend has let me borrow his PC on the few occasions where I've needed one. I'm leaning toward the GG6 when I do get around to buying one of my own.
    No worries.

Pinnacle Souveran lasts for me at most 1 month in terms of noticeable beading. My car lives in a very harsh climate in South Florida being outside all the time. I never purchased Souveran for the "protection" so to speak as it has always provided the intense, deep, wet shine that I want out of my darker paints. I've put it on Black Yukon XL's, Black Mercedes SLS, Blue 350z's, Red Lincoln Mark VIII"s, and now my Chrysler 300S with a graphite metallic finish. The paint looks insanely wet and the reflections are intense! Underneath that I typically have Collinite 845 for longer term protection. Some people turn away at the price of the product, but I will typically get 25-30 applications out of the tub and you can sometimes catch it on sale for $59.99 instead of the regular $95. Here's a link:Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souvern is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an

Dodo Home Brew used to be sold on AG's site, but I don't see it anymore. A few years ago I got it as a Christmas gift out of pure desire to make a wax at home. I followed the instructions, and honestly didn't expect much out of it in terms of gloss and protection... Boy I was wrong. I used that on all the light vehicle I touch specifically my wife's 2012 Pearl White Optima. The paint shimmers and noticeable beading lasts for about 3 months. I've also used Dodo's Supernatural Wax on white's and it looks great. Here is a link to their product line: Dodo Juice Carnauba Car Waxes, dodojuice wax, carnauba wax, dodo wax, dodo car care, rainforest rub, supernatural wax, purple haze wax

You can't go wrong with a PC or GG6. My PC just died on me after 12 years of service and I decided to order the GG6. I made that decision because I do occasionally correct friends vehicles and it has more power. More power will typically mean getting corrections done in a quicker time frame. I should be receiving it today and this weekend I'll turn her on for the first time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast