autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone able to get Collinite 845 to last more than a month parked outside in the sun 24/7 ?

Just wondering if anyone has been able to get 845 to last more than a month on the hood, roof, and trunk panels...when parked outside in the sun all day.

When I wash the car 30 days later with meguiars car wash, the horizontal surfaces don't bead water anymore.

You guys who can make it last months must be parking yours in the garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone able to get Collinite 845 to last more than a month parked outside in the sun 24/7 ?

Something is not correct with your application method.you can easily get 4 months protection.I would rewash car with a no wax carwash soap and start over.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone able to get Collinite 845 to last more than a month parked outside in the sun 24/7 ?

What is the condition of your paint onto which you are applying 845.... when last was it decontaminated?

Are you looking at the beading before you wash the car, or after?

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite would still have hydrophobic water beading even on a non clayed car.

Post Thanks / Like

LA has a ton of poor air quality fallout. Do you think that has anything to do with it? Here in Ohio in the summer I move to a Montan Carnauba as I feel it's added ability to withstand heat and sun is better for my black car in the peak months.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but I think it all depends on other environmental conditions and the paint color.

On my wife's car I usually see about 3 months of protection and over that duration the beading slowly starts to lose it's tightness. None the less, the water still pools up in little amoebas that don't really have a shape. My wife's car is parked outside 24/7 in South Florida and it's a 2012 Kia Optima with their snow white pearl paint. On the other hand, my car is a 2015 Chrysler 300 with granite crystal metallic and I can maybe get 2 months of protection in the same environment as her car. I'm convinced that it has to do with the temperature that my paint gets to as opposed to hers.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually get a little bit more than a
    month's-worth out of Collinite #845.
    {Then again, I usually don't wait for a
    month to pass before I wash the vehicle.}

•Gotta remember that the surfactants
    in the car-wash shampoo, along with
    airborne contaminates, will affect water's
    behavior.

-I'll suggest, in order to "bring back" the
    desired characteristics of Collinite #845:
    1.) Do another rinse with hot(ter) water;
    and/or:
    2.) Do an IPA (or similar "panel wipe") wipe-down

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    What is the condition of your paint onto which you are applying 845.... when last was it decontaminated?

Are you looking at the beading before you wash the car, or after?
    paint is still intact. I claybar, then wax.

I'm looking at beading after washing. After final rinse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    LA has a ton of poor air quality fallout. Do you think that has anything to do with it? Here in Ohio in the summer I move to a Montan Carnauba as I feel it's added ability to withstand heat and sun is better for my black car in the peak months.
    my car is near-black color. I honestly think the heat deteriorates the 845 wax.

I can cook eggs on my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Yes, but I think it all depends on other environmental conditions and the paint color.

On my wife's car I usually see about 3 months of protection and over that duration the beading slowly starts to lose it's tightness. None the less, the water still pools up in little amoebas that don't really have a shape. My wife's car is parked outside 24/7 in South Florida and it's a 2012 Kia Optima with their snow white pearl paint. On the other hand, my car is a 2015 Chrysler 300 with granite crystal metallic and I can maybe get 2 months of protection in the same environment as her car. I'm convinced that it has to do with the temperature that my paint gets to as opposed to hers.

Sounds like I'm seeing the exact same results as you.

My paint color is smoky granite mica, which is pretty dark.

Final rinse of the car, and the water is stuck to the paint when I try to blow it off with leaf blower.

I definitely expect a white car to have longer lasting results. Those cars never get hot to touch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast