autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Went a little crazy with the pressure washer on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Factory wheels are powder coated
    I have to disagree with that, I mean it may be that some factory wheels are powder coated, but not all. I used to think they were, but you and I go to the same wheel place, one of the owners corrected me and told me it's just paint. That's not to say that they don't powdercoat there, but it's not even an option for the factory-match wheels (I asked). Even on their price list it's "paint & clearcoat aluminum wheel".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    what PSI was the pressure washer you were using?
    I'd also like to know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zarmstrong92 View Post
    Hello,

I posted this on the Audi forum, but didn't get much of a response. Not sure if it matters, but they are 19" OEM Audi wheels. Yesterday I was pressure washing the inside of my wheels that were almost pitch black from all the brake dust. The pressure washerworked fantastic for that, but then I got carried away. I pressure washed the front of the wheels, which also worked fantastic, but a little too fantastic. Luckily I only did it to two wheels. One wheel is very minor, and the other I would call mild/moderate damage. Basically it took some of the finish off of the lip of the wheel. I have included a picture of the wheels I have, although I could not find a paint code online anywhere. I have read that others have used silver Toyota touch up paint for Audi wheels, but I would like a little more advice before I go down that route. I may just buy some of that paint and try it on a small area if I can't find an exact paint match. I’m hoping I can find some paint and use an air brushto paint over the small spaces that need refinishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachment 48523

I can provide pictures of my actual wheels showing the damage if you guys think it would be beneficial.

Thanks
    what color was the tip of the wand.Thats really hard to do,unless you were using like 4000 psi.sorry to hear that.

Post Thanks / Like

Factory wheels are powder coated - which is significantly tougher than paint sprayed from a gun. Of course, something could have went wrong with the factory powder coating process.
    Just an FYI, factory Audi Wheels are painted and clear coated not powder coated. The factory stuff is tough as nails too.

The upside to all this happening is it could be an opportunity to buy dedicated summer wheels and some Pilot Super Sports You'll thank me later.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    what PSI was the pressure washer you were using?
    It was a 2800 PSI gas pressure washer.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    I've seen this personally on paint and read about it on various forums. If you get too close with the pressure nozzle on painted body panels, alloys or other wheels, trim, plastic, glass...you may do damage to them.

I stay 1-2 feet from all body panels.

How close did you get?
    I got a LOT closer than that..... No bueno.

I'm wondering if those wheels were already "refinished" by the mobile dealer wheel guy. Have you had the wheels since new?

I had "dealer dude" refinish my wheels (was a freebee paid for by dealership) and the clear coat peeled off within a month. Then I paid to have them done right.

Factory wheels are powder coated - which is significantly tougher than paint sprayed from a gun. Of course, something could have went wrong with the factory powder coating process.

Pressure washers are very safe for factory wheels... Assuming this is an electric pressure washer and not some 4000 psi gas monster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm in the same boat. I just bought the car and all the wheels were "fixed" by the dealer shortly before I purchased it. How much did you have to pay to get them fixed correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    what color was the tip of the wand.Thats really hard to do,unless you were using like 4000 psi.sorry to hear that.
    It was a red tip, the strongest one provided.

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Just an FYI, factory Audi Wheels are painted and clear coated not powder coated. The factory stuff is tough as nails too.

The upside to all this happening is it could be an opportunity to buy dedicated summer wheels and some Pilot Super Sports You'll thank me later.
    As much as I would love to do that, I just cant justify spending 2k-3k on wheels and tires that I will have to store in the winter for a car I will only keep for 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I have to disagree with that, I mean it may be that some factory wheels are powder coated, but not all. I used to think they were, but you and I go to the same wheel place, one of the owners corrected me and told me it's just paint. That's not to say that they don't powdercoat there, but it's not even an option for the factory-match wheels (I asked). Even on their price list it's "paint & clearcoat aluminum wheel".

90% or more are just paint not powder coat. If you blew the finish off, I am wondering if those wheels were repaired, are you the original owner?

Dealerships use hacks to repaint wheels in the parking lot. Our service dept had some jackass paint a wheel and when the mechanic went to balance the tire(he used brake-clean to clean the area for the stick-on weights and air compressed air to dry the area), the paint blew right off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    90% or more are just paint not powder coat. If you blew the finish off, I am wondering if those wheels were repaired, are you the original owner?

Dealerships use hacks to repaint wheels in the parking lot. Our service dept had some jackass paint a wheel and when the mechanic went to balance the tire(he used brake-clean to clean the area for the stick-on weights and air compressed air to dry the area), the paint blew right off.
    I think this is your answer from the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by zarmstrong92 View Post
    I just bought the car and all the wheels were "fixed" by the dealer shortly before I purchased it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I'd also like to know
    It doesn't really matter as the "pressure" can be regulated either on the PW or via the nozzle.
    --Shagnat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12