autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

beginner, review/add to my list of stuff to buy?

i know everyone uses their favorites but i would have thought that autogeek would sell some generic big starter kit with everything needed(hopefully i didnt miss it if it exists). and i searched the forums i didnt see a big list for beginners or anything

i have a 1999 camaro that has a rare color and is in pretty nice shape considering being 17 years old but it definitely needs work. i would also like to do my best to maintain the rare color.

i have nothing in terms of detailing or cleaning cars so i need everything.

(first half is ideas from mike phillips aggressive approach to washing a car. its a couple years old so im not set on the products)
    McKee's 37 Half Gallon Foamaster Foam Gun
    McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo
    Supreme Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
    Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave(can i or would it be better to try and use a blower for most of the drying and finish with this? or just stick with a towel?)
    ironX
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitt (from autogeek store)
    nanoskin autoscrub towel - fine grade(from autogeek store)
    GG6 & Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate?
    sonax full effect wheel cleaner
    blackfire wet diamond sealant

i need pad suggestions, size, what colors and how many. i only plan to do my car
    i was going to go meguiar 105 and 205 but it may not be the best for a beginner? or maybe there is something better and more user friendly?

i believe thats most of everything. i might need a few other things but probably not that important, like a wheel brush, etc. feel free to suggest anything

thanks for anyone who takes the time to read and help

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: beginner, review/add to my list of stuff to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer23 View Post
    i know everyone uses their favorites but i would have thought that autogeek would sell some generic big starter kit with everything needed(hopefully i didnt miss it if it exists). and i searched the forums i didnt see a big list for beginners or anything

i have a 1999 camaro that has a rare color and is in pretty nice shape considering being 17 years old but it definitely needs work. i would also like to do my best to maintain the rare color.

i have nothing in terms of detailing or cleaning cars so i need everything.

(first half is ideas from mike phillips aggressive approach to washing a car. its a couple years old so im not set on the products)
    McKee's 37 Half Gallon Foamaster Foam Gun
    McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo
    Supreme Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
    Cobra Guzzler HD Waffle Weave(can i or would it be better to try and use a blower for most of the drying and finish with this? or just stick with a towel?)
    ironX
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Wash Mitt (from autogeek store)
    nanoskin autoscrub towel - fine grade(from autogeek store)
    GG6 & Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate?
    sonax full effect wheel cleaner
    blackfire wet diamond sealant

i need pad suggestions, size, what colors and how many. i only plan to do my car
    i was going to go meguiar 105 and 205 but it may not be the best for a beginner? or maybe there is something better and more user friendly?

i believe thats most of everything. i might need a few other things but probably not that important, like a wheel brush, etc. feel free to suggest anything

thanks for anyone who takes the time to read and help
    Stay away from 105 not user friendly.

If you want perfection I would use a microfiber cutting pad to help speed the cutting process then go behind it with a polish.

That is if you want perfection tho.

You have the right backplate, I would get fast correcting cream from griots boss line.

Very user friendly cuts great, long working time , no dusting, and easy wipe off.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a grit guard and use the 2 bucket wash. I ordered some 105 and 205 but haven't used yet, I hear there is a learning curve. What color is your car? If its a darker one then you might want to try and finish with CG blacklight, its a glaze and sealant. You might want to get a good spray detailer or wax for in between washes.
    As for drying I use compressed air to spray out the cracks and mirrors before I towel dry, a blower would also work. If you just towel dry you will probably get those annoying water streaks if you try and drive the car right after washing.
    As far as pads you will only need cutting pads (yellow or orange foam) for your first correction, any polishing after that should just be very light maintenance (white or black).

Post Thanks / Like

Th Griots is the way to,go with the 5" backing plate. I would go with M105and M205. Unlike a previous poster M105 is user friendly. I would also suggest getting 5.5" pads from lake country. A minimum of 3 pads of each one theses colors in the CCS. Orange for M105, white or Gray for M205 and a blue or red for the final step of wax/sealant.

I have also used microfiber pads to,remove swirls.

Paint correction is an easy process to perform. It is about getting the right product and pad as well as technique. I use the following to obtain good technique as it builds muscle memory and will help you get good correction. Tape off the hood hood into 2'x2' section and take a ruler and mark off the tape in 1" increments on a horizontal and vertical axis. Take your compound and pad prime pad and add product. Pat the pad with product in one of the squares and then turn on the da on speed 3 to spread product. Once product is spread set the da to 5 Or 6 and put light pressure on the da and move the polisher 1" per second going in an overlapping vertical movement in the 2x2 square. Repeat the same in a horizontal overlapping motion going 1" per 1 second. Do this for 6 passes and you should get good results by the time you finish doing 4 2'x2' sections you will have good muscle memory with good technique.

Ed

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i ordered everything to wash the car and wheels/tires.

im ok with trying something like meguiars ultimate compound for my first try or 2 because i definitely dont want to scratch or anything bad. then follow with m205

autogeek sells a 6 pad kit from lake country. would that work for now? 2 orange, 2 white, 2 red?
    and maybe this kit that comes with the GG6, 5" dual action hook loop back plate, 1 orange, and 1 black pad?
    http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garag...r-pad-kit.html

the car has been garaged most its life but it does have 144,000 miles so its been driven. i assume i should get medium grade nanoskin mitt and towel?

do i just need the wash mitt? in mike's aggressive approach he said he used mitt and towel?

just realized the medium wash mitt is back ordered. no idea when it will be in. im not in a hurry i can wait or just get fine grade?

btw this is crazy expensive. its looking like $600 just to get started lol

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i ordered everything to wash the car and wheels/tires......

btw this is crazy expensive. its looking like $600 just to get started lol
    Tell me about it! I just wanted to do a good job washing my car, and put some wax on it. It got complicated and expensive rather quickly.

I was hoping someone who'd already spent ten years and ten thousand dollars would take me aside tell me that all I really need are just a few items. Instead, I have already ordered once and have another $650 worth of stuff in my cart!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Stay away from 105 not user friendly.

If you want perfection I would use a microfiber cutting pad to help speed the cutting process then go behind it with a polish.

That is if you want perfection tho.

You have the right backplate, I would get fast correcting cream from griots boss line.

Very user friendly cuts great, long working time , no dusting, and easy wipe off.

Do yourself a favor and don't start with M105/205, there are so many easier to use and more advanced products than these to chose from now. Joe is right on with the GG Fast Correcting Cream and BOSS MF pads - top of the line products - easy to use, excellent results and competitively priced.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

i ordered everything to wash the car and wheels/tires.

im ok with trying something like meguiars ultimate compound for my first try or 2 because i definitely dont want to scratch or anything bad. then follow with m205

autogeek sells a 6 pad kit from lake country. would that work for now? 2 orange, 2 white, 2 red?
    and maybe this kit that comes with the GG6, 5" dual action hook loop back plate, 1 orange, and 1 black pad?
    Griot’s Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher & Pad Kit LIMITED TIME ONLY!

the car has been garaged most its life but it does have 144,000 miles so its been driven. i assume i should get medium grade nanoskin mitt and towel?

do i just need the wash mitt? in mike's aggressive approach he said he used mitt and towel?

just realized the medium wash mitt is back ordered. no idea when it will be in. im not in a hurry i can wait or just get fine grade?
    Clay still works if you are worried about cost. I find it to be more effective at picking up contaminants versus a clay alternative.

Can't beat the cost and performance of this wash mitt.

Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

I am still going to recommend this kit. Comes with everything you need.

Griots Garage Ultimate Pad & Polish Kit

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Also agree on 105/205. I have tons of M100,M105,M205 and really only use it now to practice and sometimes on my own cars if I don't want to waste my other liquids.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Clay still works if you are worried about cost. I find it to be more effective at picking up contaminants versus a clay alternative.

Can't beat the cost and performance of this wash mitt.

Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

I am still going to recommend this kit. Comes with everything you need.

Griots Garage Ultimate Pad & Polish Kit
    I think I'll grab that kit but I'll still need more pads right? I'll clean on the fly but not sure how many I'll need

I would really like to try and use the nanoskin stuff. I know it may not be the norm but mile did or does it so it can't be too bad. I'll use the bag trick to make sure it's clean before I go further

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast