autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile business questions

I have searched and searched for answers to a few questions that I have without any luck, so I thought I'd make a thread for questions that I, and anyone else, might have towards the business side of mobile detailing.

I will start off here.

I am working towards making my small side job into an actual business and need some solid advice on a few things. 1. How do you deal with weather being a mobile detailer? Do you require a client to have a cleared garage to put the car into, or do you do everything outside? If you do everything outside, do you buy a large canopy or two to put up? 2. When doing paint correction, polishing, sealing or waxing, do you always get the door jams and every other painted surface?

By the way, I believe it would be helpful for whoever eventually asks a question or two to number the questions, so it is more direct and can be responded to directly. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile business questions

Weather is the devil for mobile detailers. But even if you had a shop, weather would still be a problem. Not many people are interested in paying 100s of dollars to have their car detailed just to have to drive back in the rain and have it covered in dirt again.

What I do is this. I always call customers the evening before to confirm their appointment. If forecast are for rain, I ask them if they have a garage in which we can do the detail. If they do not I suggest we re-Schedule. I leave the decision to them. If the detail can be done without electrical Equipment, I will do it in the rain if they want. Otherwise I reschedule.

I don't use a canopy. I have searched for one for about two years and gave up. I am solo, and all the canopies I found that can be setup rather quickly by a single person are tiny and I would not want to use them. All the nice canopies are either imposible to use alone, or would take so much time to setup and put away that it's not Worth it.

For paint correction, I usually do not do the underside of the body. That lip that goes around the car that is out of view and usually in horibble condition. If I had to do that I would have to charge a lot more and since no one ever looks there I think it's a waste of time. Now, if the client wants it done I will be happy to, but I will charge extra for it.

As for the Inside, dépends on the condition. If the jambs are in good shape, I don't polish them. If they are in bad shape I will take the time to do it. Usually the only place that needs polishing is the lower part of the door jambs where people will rub their feet on getting in and out of the car. It's a judgement call. You can see the condition the paint is in, if you see damage you should work on it, if not why do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the very well communicated answers. Great advice!

If anyone has any mobile detailing questions, please ask them here. I feel like it would be great to have an entire section devoted to the business side of everything, but a good thread will do for now.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StealthXJ View Post
    I have searched and searched for answers to a few questions that I have without any luck, so I thought I'd make a thread for questions that I, and anyone else, might have towards the business side of mobile detailing.

I will start off here.

I am working towards making my small side job into an actual business and need some solid advice on a few things. 1. How do you deal with weather being a mobile detailer? Do you require a client to have a cleared garage to put the car into, or do you do everything outside? If you do everything outside, do you buy a large canopy or two to put up? 2. When doing paint correction, polishing, sealing or waxing, do you always get the door jams and every other painted surface?

By the way, I believe it would be helpful for whoever eventually asks a question or two to number the questions, so it is more direct and can be responded to directly. Thank you.
    Pop up tents are basically useless unless you have a hand setting up and tearing down. Also, if you use them please use leg weights even if there is no wind. True story, I was detailing a car under a canopy (before giving up on them) there was no wind when I started and it only took one strong gust to lift it up. I was lucky that the only thing damaged during this was my truck (about an eight in scratch on the passenger door where the leg landed on the way down).

1)If the chance of rain is above 40% and the customer does not have a garage I do not give them an option, I am rescheduling. Also, when the temperature is below 35 degrees I reschedule. This is for three reasons (1. I hate the cold and am a little bit of a baby about it 2. I have had too many equipment issues trying to work in those temperatures so now I use it as a planning day 3. We don't have many days below that temperature in my area so it does not hurt me enough financially to change my attitude towards the cold). All that being said every year I have at least a couple weeks of 100+ degree weather (and I work in that no problem).

2) It really depends on the customer and their expectations. The best advise you could possibly get is to educate the customer on what you recommend be done, listen to what they want done, and match their expectations with a little cherry on top. This cherry could be that you polish small marks out of the door jamb or you blow out the debris under the hood. Anything you choose make sure you show the cherry to the customer and make sure they know it is a little extra to thank them for their business. Operate like this and your customers will notice.

Here is your cherry: Get trained by a professional in a detailing course. I am sure you know what you are doing but quality training is priceless. With professional training you will be able to work smarter not harder, hone your skills, and most importantly you will learn something new.

Good luck in your business!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again for such an awesome response!

I live in Roanoke, VA right now but will most likely be moving back to the Tampa, FL area. My concern with heat is the fact that it makes claying a car extra difficult because the lubricant likes to dry up super quick. What is the remedy to this? Turning the car the best you can to get shade on the area that you are working?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StealthXJ View Post
    Thank you again for such an awesome response!

I live in Roanoke, VA right now but will most likely be moving back to the Tampa, FL area. My concern with heat is the fact that it makes claying a car extra difficult because the lubricant likes to dry up super quick. What is the remedy to this? Turning the car the best you can to get shade on the area that you are working?
    Keeping the surface lubricated is key when claying. If I am in direct sunlight or it is a hot day and the lube seems to dry quickly, I soak the panel with water which does two things; It cools the surface down unlike a mist of lube, and it provides better saturation of the panel when combined with the lube. Also, I will work in smaller sections which will help prevent the panel from drying while working.