autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitts, dry towels, microfiber cloths

I would get 3-4 waffle weaves I lean twoards more since my truck wich is an extended cab shortbed I can dry about 3/4 of the way with 2 25x36 waffle weave towels before needing to grab another and thats just the body and glass not the wheels. For a waterless wash I like ONR It's really nice to make qd out of 2oz makes a whole gallon of quick detailer. I prefer to wash with soap and water with a chinelle microfiber mit with a high quality soap on my daily drivers because in Indiana cars get pretty dirty. For show cars or a nice enviorment though I do like rinsless.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

OTOH... once ypu have a good layer of LSP (especially if that is a coating) you can dry 99.5% of ALL water off with a blower. :-)

I dry CarMomma's big ol' SUV with a blower, which keeps me from having to touch the paint (and induce swirls) and in a lot less time than a towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we get any AG discounts?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    OTOH... once ypu have a good layer of LSP (especially if that is a coating) you can dry 99.5% of ALL water off with a blower. :-)

I dry CarMomma's big ol' SUV with a blower, which keeps me from having to touch the paint (and induce swirls) and in a lot less time than a towel.
    That's what I was hoping. Once the paint is corrected and waxed well, that it'll dry much easier. At that point I may foam, rinseless wash, then blow dry. Once in a while really roll my sleeves up when it's time to treat my girls to a night out.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    That's what I was hoping. Once the paint is corrected and waxed well, that it'll dry much easier. At that point I may foam, rinseless wash, then blow dry. Once in a while really roll my sleeves up when it's time to treat my girls to a night out.

If you *DO* coat it... you will find that it not only doesn't get as dirty as easily.... but.... it washes much more easily as well.

If mine isn't dirty from road grime, (not driving in the rain for instance) but it's just a bit dusty after a weeks driving. I'll hit it with the lil' 1700PSI electric pressure washer, then foam it, let it dwell while I foam the entire thing, rinse with the PW, foam again, rinse over it with the PW, then pull the hose and rinse with flooding and NEVER touch it with a mitt. (My favorite for my Infiniti is a Merino Wool mitt.)

Then I can blow dry it and like I said, 99.5% of the water is gone. I'll take some Aquawax (on all the other's except my Infiniti) or on my car some WG Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant and lightly hit those spots that have any water remaining and call it done.

Saves me a TON of time that way.

FWIW, I always do a complete wheel, tire, and wheel well cleaning. That takes a good 12~15 minutes per wheel. So the idea that I can rinse twice, foam twice, and blow dry is something that I take kindly to.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh it'll definitely get SOME sort of wax or sealant, just not sure what yet. Until I came here I was going to use meguiars tech wax or rejex.

I've already washed and clayed it once, then used meguiars polish, then mother's cleaner wax. I should have used a finishing wax, because I am already no longer really seeing evidence that it was waxed. It did shine nice though. Looked super clean.

The swirls and light surface scratches still showed (show) in direct sunlight though.

Basically, I have a brand new $40,000 truck. I feel it should look brand new. Not slightly flawed. Even if that only shows when the light hits it just right.

I almost took it to the dealer to have them correct it, but I honestly didn't want them touching it again.I won't let them wash it after services either.

Post Thanks / Like

At minimal, try the edgless. They are well above the cheap stuff from big box stores in terms of quality. Save those rags for dirty/all-purpose jobs.

I use the edgeless on my paint. We have 3 Subaru's in our family, and these do well on the sensitive finish.

For drying, I've tried all sorts. Got several waffle weaves; different thickness & brands. Even a few spa & show horse versions. In the end, I'm very happy with the two-towel method; one damp/wrung out & one (or two) buffing towels. For that, I like the rolled edge.

Not only affordable, but both towels are excellent for rinseless & waterless as well. With frequent sales on AG, they're tough to beat.

Personally, I'd say try as many as you can. What works for others might not work for you. Quite a few samples - with glowing reviews - ended up being awkward for my liking. The only way to be sure is to give as many as you can a go. If finance is tight, you could always do some trading at the samples thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    Do we get any AG discounts?

Autogeek has sales frequently. If you aren't in a real big rush I'd wait a little bit for a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the world of owning a pickup with dark paint.

Don't be afraid of tackling the polishing yourself. Do some research, and you'll have no problem. I just did my wife's car last weekend. I plan on tackling my truck this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Welcome to the world of owning a pickup with dark paint.

Don't be afraid of tackling the polishing yourself. Do some research, and you'll have no problem. I just did my wife's car last weekend. I plan on tackling my truck this week.
    The biggest hesitation to not wanting to polish myself was having to buy a polisher I'd rarely use. Now that I know of one I can borrow, that is changing.

Money isn't necessarily all that tight, but I don't wanna waste money buying a ton of towels or products that don't get used either. It adds up quick. But, then again, over the life of the truck it'll be important.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast