autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Single stage paint?Looking for experienced advice: Short and to the point details: 2010 GT500, performance white Car was wrecked and poorly repaire

Looking for experienced advice:

Short and to the point details:

2010 GT500, performance white

Car was wrecked and poorly repaired. I bought it and am fixing it correctly. It was spray painted black and then wrapped 2 years ago.

What's the best option to attempt to save the original paint?

Test area was 800 grit to remove the black. Then 1000, 1500, and 2000. No cut or polish done yet. I have a DA buffer and am going to buy a full speed polisher to complete the job.

Are these a single stage paint?

Any other advice to tackle this?

Thanks
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single stage paint?Looking for experienced advice: Short and to the point details: 2010 GT500, performance white Car was wrecked and poorly rep

It shouldn't be ss.

Mike Phillips

Re: Single stage paint?Looking for experienced advice: Short and to the point details: 2010 GT500, performance white Car was wrecked and poorly rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike93SVT View Post

What's the best option to attempt to save the original paint?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're way past that point.

Time to cut your losses and simply do it right the second time and repaint the car the correct way.

Also, like Jeff said, these cars did not come with single stage paint. If the car in your garage has single stage paint then someone else sprayed that paint and just another reason to do it right second or third or fourth time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea with it being painted over already you probably want to just start with a proper paint job. Are the jams and everything still the original color? If so a resprayed might not be overly expensive. Also have you considered getting a professional wrap job in the color you are looking for?

Post Thanks / Like

I say go for it. Lets see what kind of results you get from trying. My guess is, if you can get the spray paint off with a m8nimal amount of damage to the original paint, you might be ok. If you figure a new paint job is likely, but a save could save you 4k or so, then no harm no foul. I restored my childhood bicycle a few years ago and at one point in time I spray painted over the gold anodizing that came on the bike originally. I knew that I was going to probably have to get an anodized to be original so I used a mild paint stripper to get all the spray paint off of it and it actually stripped it right down to the original anodizing and I did not have to pay to get it done. Keep this thread updated I'm excited to see what you can do

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to go with Mike on this one to. My guess is you are going to do severe damage to whatever is underneath the spray paint during the sanding process if you can get that top layer off alone. You are obviously doing a lot of work on that car, why skimp on the most important part which is the paint. It seems you might be able to sand it down yourself. That might be your best option to lower the cost of labor for a repaint. Sand it down and bring it to the body shop at that point. Those are still pretty incredible cars, make it look good with a quality repaint.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, welcome to AutoGeek Online.

That is past the point of no return. Either take it to a professional body shop to have it all repaired correctly, or wrap the car to cover the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Blasphemy! Where is the sense of adventure? What about the American Spirit? Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Post Thanks / Like

Hell NO!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd give it a shot. Sand with the least abrasive sandpaper necessary. Worst case scenario is you have to repaint, which you're probably going to have to do anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast