autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single stage paint?Looking for experienced advice: Short and to the point details: 2010 GT500, performance white Car was wrecked and poorly rep

Uhhhhh... maybe I slept through history class (which BTW was always my favorite) and missed it. But say... WHEN EXACTLY did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

That'd be the Japanese!

@ the OP.

Quick and direct = get it painted.

Did you peel the wrap off?
    Taking it that the black spray was *under* the wrap?

Hate to say it, but by the time you've SANDED an entire color layer off, you'll eat through any clear coat that's beneath it.

And yeah... that should be a BC/CC paint. ;-)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single stage paint?Looking for experienced advice: Short and to the point details: 2010 GT500, performance white Car was wrecked and poorly rep

I appreciate all the input. A local body shop swears it's a single stage, that's why I asked. Trying laquer thinner today and will post the results

Thanks
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Really it's not going to hurt to try getting through the spray paint, it's just a lot of time to sink into a project if it doesn't pan out at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=cardaddy;1378463]Uhhhhh... maybe I slept through history class (which BTW was always my favorite) and missed it. But say... WHEN EXACTLY did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

That'd be the Japanese!

He was paying homage to the great John Belushi line in Animal House.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's time to admit defeat. The outside paint laughed at laquer thinner and didn't budge. It did wipe off in the door jamb though. The door jam also revealed scratches underneath that must be their "prep" work before spray painting the car. The same scratches are on the spoiler.

Waiting for a huge shipment from Tasca for the front end. Then yanking the motor and getting it to the frame shop to replace the radiator support and make sure it's straight. Then I'll need to see how much more money I can spare and decide what to do about the paint.

So what's the ballpark for a full respray? I'll strip the entire car down to the shell.

Thanks
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Probably depends on your area. If you had it fully stripped ready to go and they only need to skim some areas with filler, in my area for a reputable great painter it would ballpark 5-6000 for nothing special. But there are lots of guys around here that do really good work around 2-3000.

You could get a garage and hop in on the learning curve and make a project out of painting it yourself if interested though.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mcate;1378535]
    Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Uhhhhh... maybe I slept through history class (which BTW was always my favorite) and missed it. But say... WHEN EXACTLY did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

That'd be the Japanese!

He was paying homage to the great John Belushi line in Animal House.

Should'a picked up on that.

Was at the hospital dealing with my MIL (as I've been daily for the last 2 weeks so I wasn't thinking).

@ the OP... disregard my statement about did you peel it first. Didn't blow up the photos, (was on my phone at the hospital as stated above).

Can't really IMAGINE why some idiot would have hacked up that car like that. Looks like they were going for some sort of stealth look.

Are you sure it's not some sort of Plasticote or Plastidip type paint and not actual spray paint? That's all the rage these days with guys that are wanting that matte / flat look. That stuff comes off with a good strong pressure washer going over it. Of course it'll get you wet as all heck, and make a HUGE MESS along the way.

I'm with the rest of the guys on a quality respray though. While you can FIND someone that'll spray it for $1000, I'd never take MY car to someone that did it that cheap. I'd say a bargain price would be $2000~$3000 and up. And that'd help if you did all the trim removal first, not to mention how much better it'll make your paint job look.

It's easy enough to check for single stage.

Take a buffing pad and some compound, hand buff a single area, if the pad turns white... it's single stage. If it doesn't... it's clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw all the posts on SVTPerformance with guys telling you to wrap it. Glad you're not thinking along those lines. Not a Shelby! It's an awesome car. I know, I've got an '09. Do it right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12