autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone removed dried tree sap severals weeks after without visible signs of damage to clear coat?

I had some tree sap fall on my car last week and attempted to clean if off this morning. I won't be able to finish the job which means it won't be until next weekend until I'll be able to get it off. The car has opti-coat on it which provides some protection against things like bird droppings, tree sap, etc. I was wondering if a couple weeks would be sufficient enough time for it to cause damage into the clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone removed dried tree sap severals weeks after without visible signs of damage to clear coat?

Not sure about how it will effect your opti-coat, but my GF hardly ever cleans her car, and gets tree sap on it all the time. I use goof off from a big box store, and it cleans up nice even after months of being on there. It does need a good wash to get the goof off residue off the car though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone removed dried tree sap severals weeks after without visible signs of damage to clear coat?

If it's fresh sap I don't think it will etch.Dried on sap sometimes will require a little dab of 2000 grit.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried using 91% rubbing alcohol and it came right off. I was wondering if there is any sort of harmful chemical reaction that happens with coatings as is the case with bird droppings (meaning it's best to get it off as quick as you can before it does permanent damage).

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, IPA works well with sap. I use a couple drops on a microfiber. Dab a few times and have a wet towel handy to immediately wipe off the alcohol. Repeat until Sap is gone. This will remove LSP, so you'll likely need to re-apply (not sure about coatings). I've never had trouble with my 70% or 90%, but it never sits on the surface to dwell. Nor do I do a large area. It's just my solution for little spots here or there.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know/think that tree sap will etch the paint like bird droppings, bugs, and acid rain will. It's just a pain to get off. I've used Stoners Tarminator for sap and it has worked well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I dont know/think that tree sap will etch the paint like bird droppings, bugs, and acid rain will. It's just a pain to get off. I've used Stoners Tarminator for sap and it has worked well.
    Sap that sits on clear for a period of time will stain clearcoat.nibbing the stain with 2000 and a little compound your good to go.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

good to know. thanks.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I just clay sap off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Rapid Remover it works well against anything that is sticky.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast