autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Only one test spot?

Is it safe to assume the whole car has the same level of defects throughout?
    I recently did a test spot on the hood of a 1972 Roadrunner and was happy with the pad and compound combination.
    Then i soon realized the the right side of the car came out flawless but the right side took a more aggressive approach.

Any input would help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Only one test spot?

On your car did you change pads from side to side? Was the car ever repainted? Either way you can always check your work as you go and not wait until your done and be disappointed

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    On your car did you change pads from side to side? Was the car ever repainted? Either way you can always check your work as you go and not wait until your done and be disappointed
    Yea i checked while i went was just very confused as it was my first time experiencing it and i went with a new primed pad per panel.
    Car was repainted very poorly.

Post Thanks / Like

Vobro has some good qualifying questions and may be some reasons you got different results side to side. Whenever i encounter different conditions i do another test spot to find what will yield the same results over the entire vehicle. This new and additional test spot includes the info learned from the 2-4 i already did before i started. For example, i recently had a customer with extreme water spot/etching on the passenger front quarter panel. To get the same results over the whole car i had to change it up to a more aggressive approach to get the same results to match the other side. Takes maybe 5-7 minutes or so and doesn't really slow me down too much.

Now, did i remove a little more paint off that trashed section? Yup! But i note it in my customer database. The basic concept of removing the least amount of paint to give the customer what they requested and are paying for is what i always follow.