autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to polish with the flex faster?

I know that polishing takes time but after reading alot of threads it seems I am going way too slow. I have a customer with an Audi A8 that wants his car polished, going to use M205 as the swirls are not bad, and then top it with WG sealant. I only have about 8 hours with the car though. This has to include wash, clay, polish, wax and tire dressing. Is this too much to do in that amount of time. I know that the A8 is a large car. I seem to struggle with mid size sedans taking about 8 hours. Any tips on how to improve overall speed in this process? I'm not trying to compromise my work but I'm also trying to keep the customers time in mind as well. Any tips would be great. Thanks again guys

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to polish with the flex faster?

Well, it all depends on the customers expected result ?

Did you promise 90% defect removal ?

Or you just told him its a one step and can expect 40-70% defect removal ?

If your using 205 in 8 hours you can and will get good results, but not perfection, then again im pretty sure you didnt tell him near perfection cause your only using 205.

So yes you have enough time, swap pad and clean frequently to maximize cutting and finishing ability.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodluck removing swirls with M205 on hard Audi paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did an 01 red Formula on Sunday. 7 hours full 2step plus sealant. I used Boss 21, microfiber pads, and Flat Top. If you are doing polish only, you will be fine. As others have said, Audi paint is hard, so swirl removal will be minimal.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think takes the longest? Going through the buffing cycle? Assessing the process? Cleaning your pad? Do you have a mobile cart, or do you have to walk back and forth from the the car to wherever it is you're keeping you supplies stationed?

I took up a lot of time continually looking for the "magic" combination - even after the test spot was dialed in. I've taken up time walking back and forth to my supplies because I didn't have a cart. I've taken up time not paying attention to the task at hand....

It's difficult to say what you're going to use without doing the test spot. There are things that work in theory, and things that work in practice. You may get to the job only to find that your selection of products isn't working, or at least not in a timely manner.

In these situations it's essential to have a fairly wide selection of pads, and polishes at your disposal. Nothing crazy, but if you need to give your M205 more "gas", will you have more aggressive pads on hand? Heavier cutting polishes/compounds?

A lot of variables, but if you're adequately prepared, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting done in a timely manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aburgeson View Post
    I know that polishing takes time but after reading alot of threads it seems I am going way too slow. I have a customer with an Audi A8 that wants his car polished, going to use M205 as the swirls are not bad, and then top it with WG sealant. I only have about 8 hours with the car though. This has to include wash, clay, polish, wax and tire dressing. Is this too much to do in that amount of time. I know that the A8 is a large car. I seem to struggle with mid size sedans taking about 8 hours. Any tips on how to improve overall speed in this process? I'm not trying to compromise my work but I'm also trying to keep the customers time in mind as well. Any tips would be great. Thanks again guys
    HD Adapt or Menzerna FG400 would be a good starting point.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I find the hardest thing is the buffing process, meaning the overlapping lines with the machine. Then dealing with the dust from 205, and I wasn't sure how hard the paint was which makes me more nervous haha. I do have a cart, but not when I'm mobile. I cant fit everything in my car. Pad washing does seem to be a problem but I just bought more pads and try to change them often.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had better success with Menzerna FG400 (or whatever they call it now) when it comes to correcting. I follow up with SF4500 (whatever they call it now) and IMO I have had better success with that brand then with Megs 105/205. That is me and might be different with others. German Paint is on the harder side and IMO Menzerna was designed for that or similar type paints.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aburgeson View Post
    I find the hardest thing is the buffing process, meaning the overlapping lines with the machine. Then dealing with the dust from 205, and I wasn't sure how hard the paint was which makes me more nervous haha. I do have a cart, but not when I'm mobile. I cant fit everything in my car. Pad washing does seem to be a problem but I just bought more pads and try to change them often.
    You say dust? I say HD Adapt, no dusting. But keep this in mind, what you're trying to do, faster speeds. Means dusting and blown out pads. Heat kills.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast