I am a hobbiest level detailer. It has been a few years since I have had time to detail cars (Had kids, ect), but that is about to change.

I have a 2016 Subaru WRX on order, which is scheduled to arrive on May 16th. Once it arrives, I am taking a week off work to give it a proper detail and coating.

Back in 2012 I bought some Opti-Coat 2.0 and coated my TDI Golf. A year later, I ended up getting a 2013 4Runner, and because of time constraints I had Opti-Coat Pro applied. I loved the protection and ease of cleaning these coatings provided, and decided to never own another car without a coating again. Both really saved my paint many times from minor scratches and contaminants.

While I am waiting on the WRX, I am trying to get all of my detailing products lined up.

I have some old Menzerna Polishes (Final Finish & Power Gloss) that I purchased back in 2010. I still have plenty left, and they have been stored in my garage. I recently opened them up, and they aren't dried up. My questions are:

1. Since they are so old, is it safe to use these polishes?
2. If I have to use Power Gloss, would I need a product in between Power Gloss and Final Finish?

Using Old Polishes & Coatings-menz-polish-small-jpg

Also, I have some Opti-Coat 2.0 Left from 2012, that I wanted to know if was still good as well. When I used it last, I just opened the syringe, and dispensed it into a mini spray bottle, then re-capped the syringe, and put it back in its box for storage.

Using Old Polishes & Coatings-opti-coat-2-small-jpg

I am not sure yet whether I want to try and use my old Opti-Coat 2.0, or try the new Optimum Gloss Coat stuff. I like that the old stuff was "Permanent" but after a year it lost its beading properties. I was always nervous to do a light polish on it to regain its properties, so I never did.

It sounds like the Gloss Coat has better sheeting properties, and I do like how it can be layered, but I wounder if it offers the same protection as the old stuff, and how long it would last. I am thinking if I go the Gloss Coat route, I would just do a decon/polish/re-coat every year to maintain its properties and protection.

Now it seems like there are so many new and different coatings out, that I don't even know where to begin. Being familiar with the Optimum products, I have decided to stay within that product group, unless I can find some really good reasons to use something else.