autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New To Detailing, Would Like Feedback On My Plan!

Hi everyone! I just bought a new car and have made the decision to take good care of it! I've had a few cars in the past, but they were beaters given to me. This is the first time I've had to spend a decent amount on a car, so it's time to develop a better detailing routine. I've always done what I thought was a good job at cleaning my cars ( wash top-down and dry with chamois) but now I'd like to take things a step further.

The car in question is a 2006 Honda Accord and is in rather good shape, it will be my daily driver and is by no means a show-car. As for me, I'm a college student who is on a budget and will be moving from place to place as I alternate between study and work terms. I need to maintain this car for the next 5-7 years, so my primary goal is to prevent corrosion and damage to the paint (such as fading due to the sun). I would like to accomplish my this using a small detailing kit, so that it doesn't take up too much room and is easy to take with me as I move around.

I've spent the entire weekend studying the AGO store and forum and have come up with a plan that I think will work well for me. I would appreciate any feedback you all might have!

Wash

1) Two 5 gallon buckets - This should be an significant improvement over previously just using 1. Cannot afford the luxury of GritGaurds at this time, but will most likely upgrade eventually.

2) Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo - Cheap, available locally, good reviews in AGO store

3) Mircofiber or Chenille wash mitt. Haven't decided but both seem like good choices. Leaning towards MF as I've had one before and really liked it.

4) Corba Guzzler - Medium size for primary drying, small for touch-ups

Clean

5) Mother's Clay Bar - To be done twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall to prepare for new application of sealant. I have this product from a previous car, didn't know what I was doing at the time. Should be good enough for this first season, can upgrade later. A local detailer told me today, bars are a thing of the past and that clay-clothes are the way to go as they can be rinsed. Any feedback here?

6) Klasse AIO - To be done twice a year as above. Name says is all: one product to polish and remove old wax, will be used with its counterpart

Protect

The car will likely be parked outdoors for the next few years and winter driven. There will also be 4-month periods when it is not driven at all, these are study terms where I live on campus and do not need to drive. All of this outdoor exposure and extended periods of sitting is what concerns me. Hopefully, these next products are up to the task.

7) Klasse HGSG - Primary source of protection. Durability is most important to me, so reading that this product can provide up to a year of protection really sold me. Again, 2 applications per year.

8) Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax - Again, cheap, locally available, good reviews in AGO store. Will be done as a secondary source of protection monthly (excluding winter). Any prep required for this? Or is a freshly washed car good enough?

And that's it! I still need to look further into interior and wheel cleaning, but I predict those to be easier than the exterior. Hopefully I haven't bored you all to death so that you can tell me what you think! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New To Detailing, Would Like Feedback On My Plan!

Buy what you can afford,but I would get the collinite 845 or even the fleet wax and wax the heck out of it including the door jambs and underneath the jambs as well,you simply can't get a better product for your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

For Washing I like the Chenille style wash mitt . It seems to hold more Water in my opinion. Using a good quality Waffle weave towels or cobra Towel will be fine

Once your vehicle is decontaminiated, You should be able to get at least 5-7 uses out it. I highly reccomend investing in a Gallon Clay lube concentrate. its about $1.00 or less to make it your self per 16oz bottle.

In the hot summertime Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax seems to last for about 3 weeks. This is when temps are averaging 95 degrees plus it has light abrasives in it that will scrape away your main protection.

Post Thanks / Like

1st off welcome to the forum! As for your choices I think you did well. That being said, even though I am not a big fan of the Collinite brand (no offense); I can say this....get either 845, 476 or the 915. Based on what you said, you need a long lasting LSP. GSKR is spot on. I can't think of a better product than the Collinite brands. You mentioned you will have your ride outside for about 4 months. Having Collinite will handle the outside elements pretty well. Just make sure you put the product on thin thin thin! Thin wins! If it were me put on at least 2 coats of any Collinte brand.

So to all the Collinite Fans I hope I did not offend with not being a huge fan of the Collinite Brands. And BTW, I do have 845 as I do like it for the door jambs as GSKR implied. So I am not a hater; just not a huge fan, however, still a fan.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    ...I would get the collinite 845 or even the fleet wax and wax the heck out of it including the door jambs and underneath the jambs as well,you simply can't get a better product for your situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    ...get either 845, 476 or the 915. Based on what you said, you need a long lasting LSP
    Thanks for the info guys! I didn't come across Collenite products during my research, but I just checked them out and they do seem to fit the bill nicely! So if I were to use something like Collenite 845, are you guys suggesting I use it over the Klasse HGSG or instead? If it's replacing the sealant, does it make sense to use a cheaper wax overtop monthly to keep up the protection? Finally, what type of polish / cleaner could I use with 845? I see that Collenite has 840 PreWax Cleaner, but it doesn't mention anything about polishing. I liked that about Klasse AIO.

What does LSP mean? I'm slowly learning all of these acronyms.
    edit: Just read that 840 is the wrong product for late-model clear-coat finishes. AG recommends Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and it seems to be just what I'm looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenlight View Post
    For Washing I like the Chenille style wash mitt...Once your vehicle is decontaminiated, You should be able to get at least 5-7 uses out it...In the hot summertime Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax seems to last for about 3 weeks. This is when temps are averaging 95 degrees plus it has light abrasives in it that will scrape away your main protection.
    I think I'll go with the Chennile mitt, they're cheap enough to give it a try. What exactly can I get 5-7 uses out of? That's interesting to here that about the Meguiar's wax. I was considering it because it's the "best" thing available at my local stores. Guess I have more searching to do.