autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New CG "Clean Slate" wax/sealant stripping soap

I basically proved that there is no way to remove LSP without polishing.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...l-settled.html

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used it . It does what they say .Product did not remove gloss from 2007 Toyota which has been generally waxed ,etc . Works better than Dawn which I have used at times over the years .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    I basically proved that there is no way to remove LSP without polishing.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...l-settled.html
    And to build on this, here's some carnauba flakes I've had sitting in body prep solvent since early June. Months on continuous exposure to strong solvents have not dissolved them. Bees wax started to degrade after 15 minutes and was dissolved in 3 hours, but it can't touch the carnauba.

So if strong solvents can't touch it over the course of months, spraying some namby pamby solvent on your paint for a few minutes in hopes of stripping wax is futile.

I believe Swanic did some additional bench testing and found that nothing but a strong acid could remove sealant, but spraying that on a car would be a poor choice.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Easiest way to remove old wax or sealant, polish it off. Removing polishing oils is a ton easier than removing wax or sealant.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    And to build on this, here's some carnauba flakes I've had sitting in body prep solvent since early June. Months on continuous exposure to strong solvents have not dissolved them. Bees wax started to degrade after 15 minutes and was dissolved in 3 hours, but it can't touch the carnauba.

So if strong solvents can't touch it over the course of months, spraying some namby pamby solvent on your paint for a few minutes in hopes of stripping wax is futile.
    To be fair to the carnauba chips, not every material is susceptible to every solvent, no matter how strong it is.

I remember many years ago a coworker telling me a story, a chlorinated degreasing solvent was routinely used to wipe down workbenches. This solvent was a potent degreaser, and would dissolve things like styrofoam coffee cups, melt certain rubbers, and remove certain paints. Someone had put a coffee cup down on the workbench and left a ring. This worker scrubbed and scrubbed at the coffee ring with the solvent, but the ring wouldn't budge. Ultimately he tried some water, and the ring came right off.

It's possible that body prep solvent that you're using might work very well on a variety of other things, just not on carnauba. And perhaps another brand of "body prep solvent" might have a slightly different mix of solvents and would have broken down those flakes right away.

Post Thanks / Like

I also think dissolving carnauba flakes that are mm thick is very different from dissolving a layer of carnauba that is sub-microns thick is probably different.

Granted, I think the product is more hype than not, but the real test would be to apply it to paint with a LSP that is varied in life. See how it removes the LSP a few days old, a few weeks old and a few months old.

Sent via my mobile device...

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Next Autogeek sale I will throw a bottle in the order and use it, then do an alcohol wipe and report on the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Power Clean 3:1 will strip wax/sealants. Give it a try and you will see. However I would still say a light polish is quicker as the OPC method took a lot of towels and scrubbing to actually remove the hazey substance that the wax/sealant turns into.

You can also add some OPC to your car wash and it will strip and easier to remove residue since you're washing already.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert31 View Post
    Next Autogeek sale I will throw a bottle in the order and use it, then do an alcohol wipe and report on the results.
    Saying that, hey Max, any chance for Labor Day you could have free or discounted shipping for orders over $50? I really don't need much, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevvyj View Post
    I have used it . It does what they say .Product did not remove gloss from 2007 Toyota which has been generally waxed ,etc . Works better than Dawn which I have used at times over the years .
    Why are people still using Dawn?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast