autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bonded contaminants after only 1 month of not washing

Hello, I'm just a little surprised at how the surface of my car, especially the flat surfaces, have become rough with contaminants after just washing it.

I haven't washed the car since about a month. The car has been through a lot of pollen and several rains and storms. It's had 2 layers of sealant on it; the last one applied about 7 or so weeks ago. I'm just wondering if this is somewhat to be expected from all the pollen and then rain or is the LSP not performing properly (or is it my wash?). Plus, on the lower panels, there is a lot gunk that simply gets stuck on the car. Rinsing it did not wash it all off.

The car was clayed about 2 months ago. I'm using FK1000P and have been using ONR for the past few washes. Prior to ONR I was using a different rinseless.

I'm not going to clay the car until pollen season is mostly over with. No use in having dust/pollen land on the paint while claying.

So maybe the problem is that I left the car with pollen on too long without a wash? Heh, I didn't want to go that long between washes but oh well.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bonded contaminants after only 1 month of not washing

Regular washing is key, neglect it and things will start bonding to the paint, regardless of what protection you have on the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Bonded contaminants can build up on a car very quickly, it all depends on the environment your car is in. I work under an airport approach and in a warehouse area so there are tons on contaminants in the air here. It has nothing to do with what protection is on the paint, although without good protection getting the contaminants off will be more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

With my white truck I am amazed at how much rust I pick up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Regular washing is key, neglect it and things will start bonding to the paint, regardless of what protection you have on the car.
    Exactly. And then years later you have all these little pits in your paint and people try to tell you it's solvent pop.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

I completely agree with Chad. You never know what's in the air?

I think this is the best article I ever wrote on the topic of explaining how a car's paint can become contaminated ONE DAY after washing, claying and waxing. The pictures tell the whole story.

Hard to believe I wrote this over 11 years ago... look at the time stamp...

How often do I need to clay my car's finish?

True story too...

Post Thanks / Like

I do appreciate everyone's responses. It does seem like not washing the car for that amount of time might be a big reason for wax/sealant weakening. But that is kind of interesting, isn't it.

I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and clay or use a paint cleaner. I guess I can choose a test spot and see how good the paint cleaner does. Since I clayed not too long ago I don't really want to clay if I don't have to. Plus I feel that a polishing session might be needed afterwards - not sure though. I'm trying to not polish too much.

Thank you.