autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I really tried-Help me from making it worse

Hello, Thanks in advance for any of your comments.

So....I have a '15 Murano-Black. As hard as I tried I still ended up with a few micro marring, minor swirl marks (not from machine buffing) and just general little imperfections. One or two on the hood, an area on one door panel. That type of stuff.

I wash the vehicle frequently. I even use two rinse buckets and then spray my microfiber wash mitt with the hose before going back into the suds bucket. I use microfiber towels and chamois. But somehow I've ended up with these minor imperfections. None of these are hard scratches where it will catch your finger nail. But it's just bugging the crap out of me. I'll have to sit back and figure what I did wrong. But in the mean time I'd like to fix this.

Like I said, it's not terribly bad and nothing like a lot of the before pictures I've seen on this site. I'm fairly familiar with cars and very comfortable from the wrench and ratchet standpoint. But paint finish I'm a total newb. This is our first vehicle for adults, as in kids are grown aren't tearing it up.

I do have a PC-XP, variety of fine (non aggressive) finishing pads and products. I'm just not sure I even need to this via machine and really leaning hard towards doing it by hand. I've gonna thru countless pages on this forum and videos. I'm not necessarily intimated by this but of course I do want to be as cautious and conservative as I can. This area of vehicle care has come along way from the old school Turtle Wax days. LOL

Apologies for rambling. I guess I'm just looking for any thoughts and suggests so I don't go all ape **** over this and make it worse.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I really tried-Help me from making it worse

Pics!

Post Thanks / Like

As Mr. Mike Phillips has said before. Black is not a color but a full time job!

All it takes is some form of dust or debris no matter how careful you are and you can induce micromaring. Also if the paint is super soft (which I believe newer GM's are) then that really adds to it.

It sounds like you really have taken the standard precautions. Have you thought about getting a master blaster to blow dry the vehicle? The less you have to touch it the better. After blowing it dry you can go around with your favorite quick detailer and touch up the remaining spots. I use my electric leaf blower without issue but I know others are against doing so.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

It could be the chamois if it is being pulled over the paint, could be your drying towels, could be a softer clear coat, or a combination of all three.

A dual action polisher like the PC is fairly safe to use. Even more so if it used with a light polish and a light cutting pad.

What kind of pads and polishes to you have?

Like Justin said above, keep a good wax or sealant on it and blow off the water after the rinse. And/or use a drying aid/spray wax with a dampened towel as you dry.

Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed and the PC should knock out those swirls and lay down a nice layer of protection. I used the speed on a black Nissan Maxima with great results. I would think any AIO with a small degree of cut would get you where you want to be. Using the machine will do it a LOT faster than by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendDIY View Post
    Hello, Thanks in advance for any of your comments.

So....I have a '15 Murano-Black. As hard as I tried I still ended up with a few micro marring, minor swirl marks (not from machine buffing) and just general little imperfections. One or two on the hood, an area on one door panel. That type of stuff.

I wash the vehicle frequently. I even use two rinse buckets and then spray my microfiber wash mitt with the hose before going back into the suds bucket. I use microfiber towels and chamois. But somehow I've ended up with these minor imperfections. None of these are hard scratches where it will catch your finger nail. But it's just bugging the crap out of me. I'll have to sit back and figure what I did wrong. But in the mean time I'd like to fix this.

Like I said, it's not terribly bad and nothing like a lot of the before pictures I've seen on this site. I'm fairly familiar with cars and very comfortable from the wrench and ratchet standpoint. But paint finish I'm a total newb. This is our first vehicle for adults, as in kids are grown aren't tearing it up.

I do have a PC-XP, variety of fine (non aggressive) finishing pads and products. I'm just not sure I even need to this via machine and really leaning hard towards doing it by hand. I've gonna thru countless pages on this forum and videos. I'm not necessarily intimated by this but of course I do want to be as cautious and conservative as I can. This area of vehicle care has come along way from the old school Turtle Wax days. LOL

Apologies for rambling. I guess I'm just looking for any thoughts and suggests so I don't go all ape **** over this and make it worse.

Thanks again.
    as careful as you are when washing,are you washing top first then bottom last.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure tags are ripped off on towels.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend using the mf over the chamois when drying or perhaps look into a blower to dry the car. This way you avoid any possible marring or scratches from the drying process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@FinalInspection View Post
    As Mr. Mike Phillips has said before. Black is not a color but a full time job!

All it takes is some form of dust or debris no matter how careful you are and you can induce micromaring. Also if the paint is super soft (which I believe newer GM's are) then that really adds to it.
    Justin, the Murano is a Nissan.

OP:

That being said, nice ride.

But it's black, the bottom line is the more you wash it, touch it, dust it, wipe it the more of those little scratches will appear. It's just the way it is with black paint. No matter how careful you are it's an inevitability. You can minimize it but you can't avoid it.

You also want to be careful to not be reaching for the polisher too often. Each time you polish no matter the product to some degree your are thinning out the already thin clear coat.

I currently own a 2015 White Rouge and a garage queen black Genesis Coupe(which has only been traditionally washed 3 times and rained on twice in 4 years, and it gets those little scratches from a quick after drive wipe down.)

Maybe it's not to late to trade it in for a white Murano LOL.

I have three white cars in my drive way and that's no accident.

Any how enjoy the some time beauty and full time frustration of owning a black car, welcome to the club!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback. I had to do a quick wash to take pics. A few days of rain and pollen over the last 10 days. Purchased in June of last year. I wouldn't think the paint is soft, but what do I know. I knew black was going to be biatch. I wanted at the Pacific Blue, but the wife really wanted black w/ black interior.

God love her, I pick my battles though and got the black. She really doesn't see the total issue. She comes over to the driveway and I'm cursing and she asks me what's wrong. I tell and show her but she's not as frustrated by it as much as I am. I have spent more than time with my face a foot away from that car than I want to admit. Both of the previous comments you all get. LOL

Huh....A blow dryer for cars. Never thought of that. Will have to look into that. No tags on the MF towels. I do wash from the top down. I have new MF towels in different sizes coming tomorrow. I read a couple of posts here recently about AG and there product sponsors hosting this free site. So resoecting that the only products I will say I have coming as well are the Klasse twin products. Only because I came across this site after I placed the order. Not because I don't like this sites products. I honestly don't know anything about them other than what I've read here over the last few days. But I'm open to other products. I need to do a search and see what HD stands for. I'm not loaded but fortunetly have the means to buy something different.

I know a DA would be best but I guess I've psyched myself out. I know its a reality but I hate the idea that I'm removing layers of this and that with buffing. But I'm starting to obsess over this now. LOL I just want to get it back as close as I can to factory and try some of ya'lls tips and suggestions.

I do have an '02 Santa Fe that I'm going to practice on before tackling the Murano. I just want to use the least aggressive solution as possible. Depending on how this goes will determine if white vehicles are in my future. LOL

Thanks again folks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I really tried-Help me from making it worse-15-murano-1-jpg   I really tried-Help me from making it worse-door-1-1-jpg   I really tried-Help me from making it worse-door-4-1-jpg   I really tried-Help me from making it worse-0414161840a-1-jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast