autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Check My Product Order List

Quote Originally Posted by sawacs View Post
    I will be sticking with the older version and using the price difference to add detailing accessories.
    Have you considered the Griots Boss 21? It costs less, and the 5" Boss backing plate fits like a glove to make it even more powerful and easier to maneuver around mostly every curve you'll encounter on a vehicle. The Boss 21 is stronger than the older version Rupes 21.

I've been quite happy with mine since switching to different pads. Not knocking the Boss pads, but I personally prefer beefier pads similar to the Rupes pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Have you considered the Griots Boss 21? It costs less, and the 5" Boss backing plate fits like a glove to make it even more powerful and easier to maneuver around mostly every curve you'll encounter on a vehicle. The Boss 21 is stronger than the older version Rupes 21.

I've been quite happy with mine since switching to different pads. Not knocking the Boss pads, but I personally prefer beefier pads similar to the Rupes pads.
    I just took a look at the Griots Boss 21 and the price I saw was $385.00 vs $319.00 for the Rupes 21?

Regarding power, I am not completely convinced I need more power. I would prefer to take the longer/safer method vs faster more dangerous method if that makes any sense.

Question,

Would there be any harm in starting with say a Rupes yellow pad and finishing with a Rupes white pad vs starting with the blue or green pads? I understand the process might take a bit longer but I am not in any rush. For example, at my working speed, I fully expect the detail process to take a week or longer to complete.

Thanks for pointing out the Griots 21: looks like a nice tool.

Cheers,

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Question,

Would there be any harm in starting with say a Rupes yellow pad and finishing with a Rupes white pad vs starting with the blue or green pads? I understand the process might take a bit longer but I am not in any rush. For example, at my working speed, I fully expect the detail process to take a week or longer to complete.
    There would be no harm in taking that approach, you always want to go with the least aggressive method to achieve the desired results. That said- you will, at some point, come across some defects that will be impossible to remove without going more aggressive. In those cases, it would be very handy to already have green/blue pads and a good compound on hand, rather than having to wait a week or so for them to be delivered.
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

Please Check My Product Order List

Thanks for the information. One thing I have learned rather quickly is the crazy amount of different brands/products to choose from. In fact, I can barely put one foot in front of the other because my two brain cells are completely occupied with choosing the correct products!

Thanks,

Shawn
    LOL, no problem. We've all been the at some point.

BOSS creams are awesome.

I've tried a ton of polishes, FWIW.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Rupes polishes work really well with their pads and polisher.
    I agree with this. Their polishes are awesome. They're potent, effective, versatile, and wipe away clean.

I started with the blue/yellow combo of polishes and pads - both foam and microfiber. I couldn't be happier with the system either. It significantly cut down my polish times.

The machine I chose was the Duetto, because of the body style. The fastest I use that thing is speed 4 - 4.5. Usually I'm at speed 2.5 - 3. The more I use the system, the more I'm impressed with it.

I'll qualify that I do NOT use the washer mod. I tried it a bunch of times, and I hated it. It was the reason it took me so long to get acclimated to the system. It cooked my polishes causing a ton of dusting, and prematurely drying them up. If you keep the shroud greased (will be greased from the factory), the pad will spin effortlessly once on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Just be aware that Dylan from Rupes has stated that other manufacturers compounds and polishes can deteriorate the pad and cause pad failure. I would stick with their pads and polishes for the Rupes polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally came to my senses and placed the order. However, the order was different that what was originally intended. The major change was the polisher. Rather than spend big bucks on the Rupes, I decided the Porter 7424XP made more sense especially since this is a hobby and not a job. Besides, the money saved went towards other accessories

Here are the items:

Wolfgang Porter 7424XP Swirl Free Kit
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    LC 5.5 pads 6 pack (orange, whites, and blues)
    3" DA Backing Plate
    LC 3" flat pads 6 pack (pinks, whites, and blacks)
    McKee's Polishing Pad Cleaner
    McKee's Polishing Pad Conditioner
    The Guzzler Combo
    Wolfgang Concours Towel 6 Pack
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Plus Special
    (3) Supreme Micro Chenille Mitt
    Safe Scrub Bug and Tar Pad
    Pinnacle Microfiber Detergent
    ONR Car Wash
    ONR Wash & Shine
    IronX 1 Liter
    McKees Extreme Foam Formula
    McKees 1/2 Gallon Foam Gun

That about raps things up for now.

The reason there is no wax listed is I took another look at the CTSV with the Zaino Z-2 on there and it was blinding so I figured I would eave it as is for now. Rather than begin with the caddy, I figured I would begin with the 2007 F150 and see how things turn out with the Wolfgang products. From there, I could move on to the Camaro and try the Wolfgang paint seal followed by a high quality wax. Since the Camaro is exposed to the elements very rarely (sits in storage), worrying about the wax degrading shouldn't be an issue.

When the truck is completed, I will post up a few photos.

Thanks again for the help and information,

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

I finally came to my senses and placed the order. However, the order was different that what was originally intended. The major change was the polisher. Rather than spend big bucks on the Rupes, I decided the Porter 7424XP made more sense especially since this is a hobby and not a job. Besides, the money saved went towards other accessories

Here are the items:

Wolfgang Porter 7424XP Swirl Free Kit
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    LC 5.5 pads 6 pack (orange, whites, and blues)
    3" DA Backing Plate
    LC 3" flat pads 6 pack (pinks, whites, and blacks)
    McKee's Polishing Pad Cleaner
    McKee's Polishing Pad Conditioner
    The Guzzler Combo
    Wolfgang Concours Towel 6 Pack
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Plus Special
    (3) Supreme Micro Chenille Mitt
    Safe Scrub Bug and Tar Pad
    Pinnacle Microfiber Detergent
    ONR Car Wash
    ONR Wash & Shine
    IronX 1 Liter
    McKees Extreme Foam Formula
    McKees 1/2 Gallon Foam Gun

That about raps things up for now.

The reason there is no wax listed is I took another look at the CTSV with the Zaino Z-2 on there and it was blinding so I figured I would eave it as is for now. Rather than begin with the caddy, I figured I would begin with the 2007 F150 and see how things turn out with the Wolfgang products. From there, I could move on to the Camaro and try the Wolfgang paint seal followed by a high quality wax. Since the Camaro is exposed to the elements very rarely (sits in storage), worrying about the wax degrading shouldn't be an issue.

When the truck is completed, I will post up a few photos.

Thanks again for the help and information,

Shawn
    Don't bother using the PC below speed 5. 😉
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Don't bother using the PC below speed 5. 😉
    If I need more speed, I'll add a NOS bottle to the polisher and letter rip!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Update....

I completely lost my mind and went ahead and ordered the Pinnacle Black Label wax.. I have heard it is okay to wax over Zaino Z-2 so I figured why not...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123