autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is on my bumper and is it fixable?

Hey everyone....I just bought this car a few days ago and it was a little dirty and raining when I picked it up from the dealership. I didn't notice this area on the back bumper. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to fix it without having to get it repainted. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is on my bumper and is it fixable?

First of all, congrats on the new car!!

First thought is over spray from something. Detailing clay and clay lube would help. If you can't feel it on the paint then I am guessing it's faulty paint job from the factory. Almost looks like that area never got the base coat on top of the primer. If that's the case I would bring it up with the dealership.

There was another user on here with a new car that had a bunch of areas on their car that were missing the base coat. Unfortunately in today's world of computerized processes and trying to keep cost low, these kinds of things happen.

Based on the exhaust it looks like a sports car? I'm curious, what'd you get?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I appreciate it. It's a 2013 Audi A6. I was pretty disappointed as I couldn't wait to detail my new car. I was also thinking it was overspray or it just didn't get painted. The area feels a little rough though. I'm kind of shocked the guy who owned the car before me didn't have it taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t2586 View Post
    Thank you. I appreciate it. It's a 2013 Audi A6. I was pretty disappointed as I couldn't wait to detail my new car. I was also thinking it was overspray or it just didn't get painted. The area feels a little rough though. I'm kind of shocked the guy who owned the car before me didn't have it taken care of.
    He may have taken care of it and this is a result of cheap work. Happens all the time, people buy more then they can afford and then skimp when it comes to repairs

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Docpeanut View Post
    He may have taken care of it and this is a result of cheap work. Happens all the time, people buy more then they can afford and then skimp when it comes to repairs
    Thats very true. I might try to clay it and see what happens. Unless your bending down 2 ft. from it....its really not that noticeable, but I know its there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t2586 View Post
    Thats very true. I might try to clay it and see what happens. Unless your bending down 2 ft. from it....its really not that noticeable, but I know its there.
    If it feels rough, then I would try clay. Sorry you have to deal with this, those are beautiful cars. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at that orange peel, that is definitely not factory paint. Probably overspray on it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

That bumper was definitely resprayed. Almost looks to be under-sprayed in that area. Hard to tell. IMO it might be worth asking a decent body shop what it would cost to remove the bumper cover and have it completely resprayed. IMO I'd have them do the gray valence to match.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I think someone buffed through the paint as it was thin, it's probably a single stage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That bumper looks to be resprayed. There are a lot of guys who travel around to dealers and do touch up of bumpers etc right on the lot. Their paint jobs are terrible. They paint under the most adverse conditions rain,snow,wind. They never look correct just get rid of the scratches and chips. I work at a dealer trust me I know.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast