autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First customer interested in a coating application.... NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Good afternoon AGO, it's Dan Tran again. This time I have a newbie question to something I have never dealt with. I have been researching as much as I can and I am starting to feel more comfortable with the idea of coating applications.

Here is the story..

One of my client is in the process of purchasing a brand new 2016 Honda Accord Sedan in the dark blue color I believe or black. Either he wants to have the car polished up to pop out the color and have it sealed in. He is on a budget. So the first thing I thought of was applying HD speed with a polishing pad and topping off with HD Poxy for the extra kick.

However, after talking to him a bit more he mentioned that since he is buying a new car that me he may want to go with a coating option instead as long as it doesn't cost him much more.

I'm not against this but this obvious changes things up a bit as far as paint preparation correct folks!?

My second thought was looking into Carpro Essence topped with CQuartz. I read that with Essence it preps the paint for coatings, is this true?!

My first question: Is this the right move?

Are coatings anything to be scared about as far as proper application?

My second question is:

Once proper paint preparation is done, I apply the coating with a foam applicator, then level it off with a micro fiber towel?

Am I on the right track?

If so are these steps universal with all coating options?

Lastly, Cure time is how long for coatings typically?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First customer interested in a coating application.... NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Most coatings are user friendly, some more than others. First thing you want to do is polish any defects from the paint as the coating will seal them in semi permanently. After polishing, you want to remove the polishing oils to allow the coating to properly adhere. There are many coating preps available, most just mist on and wipe off. As for application and buffing, it really depends on which coating you go with. Personally I'd suggest Wolfgang Uber Coating, it can be used on everything on the car and is super user friendly.

No matter which coating you choose, remember, Thin To Win, don't over apply. Cure time is 12-24 hours typically

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Either he wants to have the car
    polished up to pop out the color
    and have it sealed in.

He is on a budget.

However, after talking to him a bit more
    he mentioned that since he is buying a
    new car that me he may want to go with
    a coating option instead

as long as it doesn't cost him
    much more.

I'm not against this but this obvious
    changes things up a bit as far as paint
    preparation
    Is this the right move?
    Am I on the right track?
    If a Coating does become the Customer's
    preferred choice: don't short change yourself;
    charge accordingly.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    If a Coating does become the Customer's
    preferred choice: don't short change yourself;
    charge accordingly.

Bob
    Is this something I should charge by the hour. Because for a mid size sedan say he only wanted a full exterior done with a machine wax coating, if the car is in really good shape (in this case new) including paint decon, I would normally start at about $95 and I would add on $90 for 1 step (AIO) $160 for 2 steps and $200 for a three step

I would think it would be safe to charge for the cost of the product also.

Matter of fact, where should I be with charging?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Docpeanut View Post
    Most coatings are user friendly, some more than others. First thing you want to do is polish any defects from the paint as the coating will seal them in semi permanently. After polishing, you want to remove the polishing oils to allow the coating to properly adhere. There are many coating preps available, most just mist on and wipe off. As for application and buffing, it really depends on which coating you go with. Personally I'd suggest Wolfgang Uber Coating, it can be used on EVERYTHING on the car and is super user friendly.

No matter which coating you choose, remember, Thin To Win, don't over apply. Cure time is 12-24 hours typically

LITERALLY EVERYTHING?

Exterior trim pieces, chrome, wheels?? Glass too?

Are some coatings paint only applications?

Post Thanks / Like

Btw everyone, even if he doesn't go with the coating, this is a learning thread for me.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Post Thanks / Like

I applied my first coating this weekend and it was pretty easy. I used PBL Diamond Paint Coating on a 2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab. The overall process (paint cleansing lotion and coating) took about 2 hours. I'd charge a flat rate instead of by the hour as I'm sure more experienced detailing professionals can complete the process faster.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Is this something I should charge by the hour. Because for a mid size sedan say he only wanted a full exterior done with a machine wax coating, if the car is in really good shape (in this case new) including paint decon, I would normally start at about $95 and I would add on $90 for 1 step (AIO) $160 for 2 steps and $200 for a three step

I would think it would be safe to charge for the cost of the product also.

Matter of fact, where should I be with charging?
    I would at least try to get 450.00.Thats a whole day process.59 bucks for bf and the rest labor.I know guys getting way more than that in my area.If he deosnt want to commit less work for you,200 isn't gonna change your life.charge what you are worth.I had a guy wanted me to remove dog hair from a terrain mid sized suv,I said no cause I could tell off the bat he wasn't gonna pay me 8 hrs of cleaning that disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Wipe on wipe off. Not that hard.

Post Thanks / Like

LITERALLY EVERYTHING?

Exterior trim pieces, chrome, wheels?? Glass too?

Are some coatings paint only applications?
    Literally everything, and yes, some coatings are designed only for paint, others for wheels and others for glass

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast