autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Respirators when detailing

If it touches your skin or is inhaled, its in your body. Chemicals are nothing to take for granted.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

3M 8210 is a inexpensive paper type throw away mask that would be a good place to start. It should keep most of that crap out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asianstyles View Post
    Apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but didn't want to create a completely new thread.

I am looking to play it safe when using various auto detailing chemicals. Do you guys know if this respirator will offer decent protection?

###3M? Chemical Odor Valved Respirator
    Those are good masks. Makes it easier for me to punch a hole for my cigarette. Lmao

But seriously, 3M masks are great. Been using them for over 15 years. Also, they have a charcoal version which, while more expensive, is more vapor prohibitive.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't do a respirator in the heat unless I absolutely had to.

How do guys deal with glove sweat when it's hot out?

When it's hot out and cleaning any non horizontal surface, sweat just runs out of my gloves.

Wrist sweat bands?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I couldn't do a respirator in the heat unless I absolutely had to.

How do guys deal with glove sweat when it's hot out?

When it's hot out and cleaning any non horizontal surface, sweat just runs out of my gloves.

Wrist sweat bands?
    Personally, I don't use anything when detailing my truck. I use some wicked chemicals in the boating industry which require full protection of body, eyes, and lungs.

IMO? The things we use to clean our vehicles with do not bother me in the least. Sure, don't drink or snort it, and be careful not to dip your entire hand in the product, but if I have to tell you that, go get a helmet and ride the short bus to retardville.

I'm careful, and wash my hands after using care care products. That's it. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same thing happen to me while using the 3M Perfect-it series products. Wash told my lungs had been inflamed and it felt like a really bad case of bronchitis in which I was down for 2 days and felt terible. After that I have always used a mask it was one of those days where I was in a hurry and well didn't use one. I really don't think the manufactures state what really these products can do in the way of harm other than the labels the government has them putting on them now. . . .Back when I started there were no warning labels and well a very unregulated business and products that were sold. . . . . . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

25% off actually makes this a pretty good buy. I bought one at Chistmas time.

Deluxe Coating Safety Kit
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and leave the throw away masks for a non hazardous job. Get yourself a 3M mask at any home improvement store which has the two replacable cartridge filters on the sides. It looks big and bulky at first but is very adjustable and comes in different face sizes. Once you get the size which forms a proper seal around your face and you adjust the straps, you will forget it is on. You can breath much easier with the two way valve and you will not steam up your safety glasses. You are wearing eye protection right? This is something which bugs me with all the training videos, none of the big detailing experts use or recommend safety glasses and respirators while working. I am not saying you always need protection but it would not hurt in certain cases.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Agreed. The throw away masks do steam the safety glasses & that's a pain. I used to never even wear safety glasses but one day I was cleaning the interior outside and a stray breeze sprayed Meg's QID into my eyes, burned like hell. Luckily I had the hose handy & flushed out both eyes but went to the ER anyway to get my eyes flushed again by someone who knew what they were doing. Better safe than sorry is my motto now (after the horse has left the barn or whatever the saying is for being careful too late).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12