autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New car paint issues

Hey guys, picked up a new car the other day, white challenger..........sat there while they "Detailed" it..........looked great, couldn't see any defects, so I left.

So today I'm thinking maybe I should clay bar it and make sure its good, first I did a waterless wash just on the hood, then the baggie test, that didn't go well. So I clay bar the hood, and rear because I was short on time.

Hood passed the test, then I threw on some wax, and noticed couple of spots like someone used a compound to get something out of the paint, only noticed it was about the size of a quarter...........got those out by hand using some HD speed.

Got the hood done, then noticed in the garage on a certain angle, looks like small spots under the clear, so I get the PC out and buff away, looks pretty good, but if I really check, and I mean really check, I still can see real small scratchs.

You cannot see these unless you look at it from every angle known to man...LOL

I bought a white car to avoid all the issues I had with my red one, which you guys have helped out with.

To make a really long story short..........are you pro types seeing this kind of stuff from the new cars..........don"t really want to take it back, its 90 miles away, and they did a half a$$ job in the first place.

I took some pics, cant see anything there............guess I'm just anal with the car only being two days old.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car paint issues

Quote Originally Posted by Richs66 View Post
    Hey guys, picked up a new car the other day, white challenger..........sat there while they "Detailed" it..........looked great, couldn't see any defects, so I left.

So today I'm thinking maybe I should clay bar it and make sure its good, first I did a waterless wash just on the hood, then the baggie test, that didn't go well. So I clay bar the hood, and rear because I was short on time.

Hood passed the test, then I threw on some wax, and noticed couple of spots like someone used a compound to get something out of the paint, only noticed it was about the size of a quarter...........got those out by hand using some HD speed.

Got the hood done, then noticed in the garage on a certain angle, looks like small spots under the clear, so I get the PC out and buff away, looks pretty good, but if I really check, and I mean really check, I still can see real small scratchs.

You cannot see these unless you look at it from every angle known to man...LOL

I bought a white car to avoid all the issues I had with my red one, which you guys have helped out with.

To make a really long story short..........are you pro types seeing this kind of stuff from the new cars..........don"t really want to take it back, its 90 miles away, and they did a half a$$ job in the first place.

I took some pics, cant see anything there............guess I'm just anal with the car only being two days old.

Rich

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the Mopar family!

I would not take it back to someone who couldn't do a proper job the first time, I'm dealing with this currently from a "pro detailer".

Pull the car out into the sun and inspect the paint. Go over each panel reviewing how/what it looks like.

Depending on your level of OCD, then tackle it. Since it is white, I would do a decon wash with Ironx like product, clay, polish and then wax/seal.

Read the articles here, based on level of defects get a PC or Griot's 6 inch DA.

Check out these articles
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...scratches.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to say what that car has been through if has been on the lot or in the show room for any amount of time.

They could have a swirl-o-matic wash around back, or down the street they like to use like the dealership I worked for had.

Paint intact and not dented is about as far as their inspection goes.

I'm also wondering if maybe you got some marring from claying if they didn't touch it too roughly and often.

If you haven't clayed the roof yet you could wash, inspect, and compare.

If the defects are not that severe, then I would avoid the dealership.

Post Thanks / Like

Car companies spot correct cars for paint problems. Some do a worse job than others. I have seen it on new cars (I work at a mopar dealer FWIW)

And I have at least two I noticed on our new accord.

I know we pay dearly for these cars and want them perfect. But in the end It's just a car and will be a daily driver pretty much next to impossible to keep perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am in almost every OEM paint shop in North America, and you would be amazed on how many bodies get some type of repair. They all get some type of minor work done as inspected, some get sent to a special repair area offline, then others get sent to go thru paint booth again a second time. Assembly plants all have different requirements\constraints on what they can\can't get away with.

Not saying it didn't happen at the dealer, just saying alot goes on at the plants people don't know about.

If you send me your VIN, I can get an audit done on that car (LC\LD\LX are my programs). I had a 2015 Challenger and had the "mystery dents" on roof (you will get them to if its a 392 or hellcat) and did the audit and found out my car went thru body AND paint repair.
    2017 BMW M2 - 2017 Ram Laramie - 2016 Subaru Outback - 2015 Ram Outdoorsman
    2006 VW Jetta TDI - 2003 Duramax Diesel - 1999 Jeep Cherokee

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks guys, I did check the car out in the sun, and it really is hard to even see the issue, seems like I'm seeing it more in my garage from the light bulb above, you have to bend to a certain angle, that's the only time you can see it.

Tried with the PC , didn't really do much...........like I said its really hard to see.

Almost seems like its reflecting the light from the bulb..........if that even makes sense. LOL

Couple of pics, you really cant see anything, but in a drawing I made, this is what it looks like, except its not dark like the pen. LOL

Its my daily driver, just pisses me off, seeing the car I sent to them, with all the help I got from this forum on buffing.................that hood is spotless, and it was 7 yrs old.

Thanks for the help

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New car paint issues-ag-paint-pics-3-jpg   New car paint issues-ag-paint-pics-1-jpg   New car paint issues-ag-paint-pics-2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line is this Rich:

You just bought a brand new car.

You're not happy about abnormal paint defects.

The dealer should fix it.

Re-paint, new hood, etc.

A new car isn't cheap. You should be satisfied after your purchase, not looking at paint defects and shaking your head for the entire time you own it.

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Paul, I hear ya loud & clear, its just the dealer is 90 miles away from, and who knows when they repaint it , if they even will, I had two friends look at it and they cant even see the what I'm seeing.

It could even be worse after a repaint.........I had the hood of my other car repainted twice, still not right, looks good but still not right.

Since this is my DD, thinking I might have a pro-type detailer, take a look at it and see what he says.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Chrysler dealer will likely have to do digital imaging submit to warranty and wait for approval. If it doesn't show up on camera they likely won't cover it. It's a warranty claim that will be tricky. If pushed far enough district manager and stuff could get involved and they will fix it just to make you happy. if they have there own body shop. Perhaps then the body shop would handle the claim not service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt..........im gonna see if I can get a better camera then the POS I have. I figured I wasn't gonna get much from the dealer other than letting the same whack job fix it..........so today I messed around with the PC, and have to say I got 99.3% of it out. LOL............thinking of just calling it good and drive the thing.

Didn't see this at the dealer, it was sunny out and couldn't see anything against the white, then in the garage you could only see it , if you bent over every which way, then if you looked away, it was tough to find again............im thinking the dealer wasn't gonna bend every way like I did. LOL

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast