autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely no business coming my way!! WHY?

Hello autogeek I have spent countless hours reading over all types of threads on this forum. I started a mobile detailing business in Orlando Florida in November 2015. Since then it has been very slow but now its almost dead. I have an ad on craigslist that i update every single morning, i have a facebook with 85 likes that i regularly post to, instagram with 50 followers that i post to, groupon, yelp, etc. I have business cards, flyers, i go out and put cards on cars, i spent 200 on facebook promoting business all with no success. I feel my work is great quality top of the line, i am mobile with my own power and water. i just dont understand what am i doing wrong? i do not have uniforms or a website yet as i have literally ran out of money supporting myself. Any help would be appreciated. I leave my business cards when i go out to eat, gas stations, i have magnets on my vehicles. please any tips will help. 100g water tank, honda pw, foam lance, all cg products. what should i do to get customers, i cannot survive like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Absolutely no business coming my way!! WHY?

First mistake, believing you could survive immediately after starting this business. Building a name and a reputation requires a little bit of time. I wish you the best and hope you learn how to turn it around fast!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a pro so I could be talking about out of my butt here, however...

I do have a small blog that depends on social media and since you mentioned it I'll tell you this: You need to work on your Facebook/IG/Twitter game. 50 followers is way not enough to attract business. Learn to use the proper hashtags to attract traffic and here is a stupid question: Are you posting pictures of your work regularly on these sites? Car pics in particular spread like wildfire on social media (with the proper hashtags). Perhaps you can strike what in photography is known as "pose for prints" deals. You find owners of some nice cars and offer your services at a discount or even free, and in exchange they will allow you to take some good pictures of their cars and use them as advertising by posting them on your feeds. They get a great service (which provided you did in fact, great service will come back and pay full price next time) along with cool pics of their cars and you get relatively cheap albeit very powerful advertising power.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

i knew it would be hard but after things breaking, equipment swapping and getting everything finally running smooth i am left broke. I had the money when i started i should have done a website immediately and uniforms. The only people who liked my facebook page are all randoms when i ran the promotion. my instagram pictures will get 20+ likes but a lot of them are not in the area and i only use hashtags like #orlando #detailersoforlando etc. you can check out my insta its Kensprecisiondetailing i have a nice portfolio of cars. i have pictures of exotics already my main pic on facebook is a gt3RS, i didnt detail it but the owner gave me permission to post it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how a uniform would matter to marketing your business, but for what it's worth you can get a polo shirt on vista print for about $25.00.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

6. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ideally, it would have been good to build the business part time on the weekends/days off. Grow your customer base one quality detail at a time. Word of mouth is very important. If you don't have a decent porfolio of before/after pics, then bite the bullet and reduce your prices for friends, neighbors, parents friends, etc...

Consider going back to work to pay the bills. It's not a failure, it's a learning experience!

If you haven't read it yet, I strongly suggest you pick up "How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business (Home-Based Business Series) Paperback – August 7, 2012 by Renny Doyle "

Post Thanks / Like

Do business where you do business. Do you frequent the same local restaurant, small bodega, auto repair store, etc... Network through the contacts you make and where you do business. I ended up doing a AIO on a truck that belonged to the owner of the shop that did my company shirts.

I'm not an advocate for discounts because once you low ball a quote it's hard to go up in price, time is money and the supplies aren't cheap, but, have you setup a bank account for your business yet at a "local" bank? Go in and offer every one behind the counter 10% (after you set your accounts up of course). I talk to the girls at my bank, I found out one has a small car collection and others have a few nice sports cars.

Set up your website with a gallery, and cater to your audience...

November is a tough time to set up a business regardless of where you live.... You're coming into every major holiday of the year... Then after the new year, folks are just getting back on their feet financially... Weather in most places (except FL) is probably really crappy (like here in New England).

Yelp, FB, Twitter, My Space, are all good, but honestly... it's going to take the old fashion approach. Create connections with those you do business with...
    No pressure, but just let the owner know... "Hey Joe, don't know if you're aware but I too am now a 'local business owner', yeah.... I started a detailing business and I'm trying to let all the folks I do business with know.... Let me know if I can be assistance, here is my info, web-site and package info.... in addition to the package, if there is something special you want, I'll do what every you like and give you a quote..."

Remember, the thing that is missing from today's business is customer service. My brother runs a very successful insurance agency, and he gets new accounts all the time because folks feel their old agent has forgot about them and takes them for granted. He insures every restaurant where he eats, and does business. It's old school... and he's done it successfully for 35 years.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

uniforms would present me in a professional manner not like a 17 year old kid with any old shirt thrown on and some basketball shorts. I have the shirts i just need to save up the $16 plus tax to have them printed. yea i jumped right into it ordered all my stuff found some customers and it took off at first. now literally nothing comes my way i have had a whole solid month where no one called me, did a 535ix next thing u know a month later not a single car and back to that same 535ix lol. im gonna have to go back to work to pay the bills. local detailer is hiring might just give in and call it a day. i do have a decent portfolio of before and afters the problem is no one is calling no one is booking appointments i think this may just be the end of the road.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have not already, Get Renny Doyle's book on starting a home based detail business. Consider that an IMMEDIATE must read.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't just wait for people to come to you, you have to solicit for work face-to-face. That doesn't necessarily mean banging on doors or other "cold" calling methods. Regardless, you have to talk to people, and sell yourself as much as your service. Some people will be off-put, but don't let that stop you.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast