autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Absolutely no business coming my way!! WHY?

This work is like contracting to me. People need to see the work to actually make their own opinion. Its a craft like contracting. IE person gets their home worked on and I guess without being sexist, a man would look at it and see if it was done right, a woman would wonder if they are reputable and no problems are around. Not being sexist but just look at it that way with the detailing industry. Person gets their car worked on and they meet friends and they talk about who did it and then they will get their car worked on. I do work for myself and friends and rarely others. When they see my work they check over everything. I think the social media thing is good, but I think its more a face to face interaction that helps too. People ask questions and im pretty knowledgeable about 95 percent of issues in the industry. They would be more willing to trust you with their money too.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Try joining a local Chamber of Commerce that holds monthly or weekly breakfasts or lunches. It's all about networking and working the crowd in the room. Have a car set up 1/2 detailed down the middle to show for comparison etc. Not to sound cocky but I'm arrogant about my detailing and I'm not afraid to tell someone.I'm only a part timer so I can pick and choose what I want to do.JMHO
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

I also hate honestly the cheapo guys that undercut our work. People go for the price not understanding how work like this is done correctly. If you feel your work is good, I would show them why a significantly lower priced place is bad.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly why I love being a weekend warrior hobbyist. For me it's relaxing and satisfying without the stress. I hope things turn around.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Passion:

Detailing for money is like any other profession. Their are people who are dedicated to it and their are people who are here today and gone tomorrow.

Mike Phillips is a great role model as is Renny Doyle and Todd Cooperider. These are people who have dedicated themselves to being the best at what they do, it just happens in their cases to be detailing. If I were to ask them to define in one word that drives them I'm willing to bet money in Vegas that word would be "Passion".

They are passionate about what they do everyday, day in and day out.

Bob McKee is obviously passionate about the business he has built and continues to build.

Though this is not my primary form of income, I have always been passionate about car care. To whatever level that may be.

I started as a warehouse 3rd shift order picker in 1988 and went into sales in 1991. I'm proud to say as a 100% commissioned sales person I have only been with 3 companies since 1988.

I've had many relationships with good bosses and not so good bosses. Remember this, for the most part, "those who sell sell and those who can't sell manage those who sell LOL"

I'm fortunate to currently have a great boss who is al teast as passionate as I am, maybe more. I told him the other day my bp has gone up 10 points since he started and I'm not sure that's a bad thing!

That being said, the one thing the good ones and the bad ones have always said about me is I'm passionate about what I do. "sometime too passionate, oh well, it comes with the territory"

So that's the best advice I could ever give anyone, be passionate about what you do. Everyday is a new day and an opportunity to be better at life, work and your relationships.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    This is exactly why I love being a weekend warrior hobbyist. For me it's relaxing and satisfying without the stress. I hope things turn around.
    YES! I have often debated this with myself. Would I get teh same enjoyment out of detailing if I had to rely on it for my livelihood? I dont think so. Doing some cars here and there for supplimental income would work for me, but I dont think full time I would enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Visit Wix free website builder. Its a start (I am working on one myself) and not to hard to figure out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I believe life is all about Karma.

I just took a $300,000 piece of packaging business from a competitor yesterday, and truly that had a lot to do with it.

And I agree with you Frank whole heartedly and especially in any service related business.

He's in Orlando and I'll be there all day tomorrow in meetings, may be I'll give him a call and have him detail my "piece of "***" Genesis. LOL

Quote:

Re: Customer states I scratched her tint cleaning the windows
    custmsprty i honestly dont give a f*ck what you say youre a piece of #### and none of your answers have been helpful in the slightest. cool genesis bro that things a piece of ####. had your answers been kind, helpful, inspirational, PROFESSIONAL, I wouldnt have to treat you as such. from the start youve been nothing but nasty towards me. go fu*k yourself.
    Yeah its going to be tough getting customers with that attitude. I was going to suggest it might be better to start things up part time before dropping all that cash and jumping in the deep end. Basically just try to get a bit of spending cash doing a car every weekend for a couple years until you get a customer base going. Then if you are making too much money to keep doing your day job go ahead full steam at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry - but it drives me nuts when people (in this case the OP) have NO CONCEPT of basic sentence structure, punctuation, capitalization and how to use a period. And then piss on the people trying to help them with their issue!

I am by no means a perfect grammar/spelling/typing poster myself. However I still try and form sentences with capitals and periods.

On topic - several people gave great advice in this thread on how to jump start a business. It is never easy to be successful.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast