autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car cover

Post Thanks / Like

Car cover

I have a question about car covers? Do car covers scratch the car? Does the quality of the car cover mater if it's store in a garage only?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car cover

In my opinion its a yes and no answer if you don't clean the paintwork and or is removing the cover frequently yes it will scratch but if you clean the vehicle and place the cover and don't remove for a while you should be good I personally got my pride possession in a car cover with two down blankets with a corduroys blanket

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info I would cover my car 2 or 3 times a month but that was before I knew about autogeek. I slowly started to get obsess on how much to take care of my car and I want to detail it the right way for the first time this coming spring

Post Thanks / Like

One more question. Is it ok to let my car sit in the garage without starting it for 1 season (winter)?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the detail bug has bitten ya, though yes it fine to let your vehicle hibernate for the winter just be sure to keep the battery charged and place a fuel stabilizer in the tank then once the rest period is over warm him/her up then take it on a slow smooth cruise to reawake everything

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Car cover

Quote Originally Posted by poyo150 View Post
    Thanks for the info I would cover my car 2 or 3 times a month but that was before I knew about autogeek. I slowly started to get obsess on how much to take care of my car and I want to detail it the right way for the first time this coming spring

Yeah AG is not a good site if you are obsessive, it makes u want things u never thought u needed!!! I love this site: as for the cover, buy the best indoor cover u can ( mine is a dust stop) & be sure your car is clean & dust free & u shouldn't have any problems

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poyo150 View Post
    One more question. Is it ok to let my car sit in the garage without starting it for 1 season (winter)?

It is perfectly OK to store a car for 1 season. You'll find many posts and articles throughout the internet on the subject.

BTW, don't even think about starting it while in storage.

Post Thanks / Like

Car cover

Quote Originally Posted by Lt1xL82 View Post
    BTW, don't even think about starting it while in storage.

I'm curious, why not?
    I've personally never had a vehicle of my own in storage.. I do have a friend who's parents have a 1976 Mercedes 500SL sitting in their garage and haven't started it in a very long time.. My friend says they've got preservative oil in the engine.
    I think it's a shame for them to just have it in there and pretty much never drive it at least once every couple of months or so. I've been meaning to have a close look at it and offer to give it a complete polish & detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'm curious, why not?
    I've personally never had a vehicle of my own in storage.. I do have a friend who's parents have a 1976 Mercedes 500SL sitting in their garage and haven't started it in a very long time.. My friend says they've got preservative oil in the engine.
    I think it's a shame for them to just have it in there and pretty much never drive it at least once every couple of months or so. I've been meaning to have a close look at it and offer to give it a complete polish & detail.
    One of the reasons could be you don't want circulate acidic oil in the engine( depending on how long its hibernation time is) another reason might be cause over a certain period like a few months or so the engine gets dry and fluids tend to thicken or weaken which can harm the engine and its not just the mechanical or whatever perspective why bother your pride possession at such a hard time...winter...just some thoughts for the question

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I'm curious, why not?
    Several reasons, notably moisture and high wear during cold starts. (The coolant temperature may reach normal temperature ideling, but a great deal of the car isn't even close to normal operating temperature allowing moisture from combustion to sit in the engine and exhaust.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast