autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: aftermarket wheels: like it, love it, or hate them?

I just turned down a very clean set of nice 22" Black Rhino Wheels (Pondora) and 305/40-22 Nitto 420S Tires for my Tahoe, as one reason was, the woman, after working a deal, decided to put another 1K+ wear on the tires with an out of town drive to Tucson AZ. The straw that broke the camel's back and just as well, I probably would've had rub every time I turned a corner.

I like a personalization with my well cared for SUV, yet I want a happy medium, as I matured, and grew wise, I don't want the truck looking like some flashy bling ghetto cruiser, nor do I want aggressiveness with off road tires-wheels, like I'm going to run up Pikes Peak either. and rattle my teeth out on a 2 hour trip.

Class, sophistication, a combination of properly selected tires-wheels which will properly work extremely well on the truck, create zero problems with use, or maintainence.

I'm beginning to realize I don't want chrome. Chrome seems to add just too much bling, chome is an SOB to maintain, regardless of some's claims of durability. I've had lots of chrome, yeah, 5' away it looks good, 5" away, I'm seeing sleeks after a few washes like I washed them with a Scotchbrite Pad.

I think chrome is out!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will disagree with the statement of wheels lowering a cars value. Unless it's a very high dollar car, on most occasions it will be wash to small increase.

There is more value in upgrading wheels that just looks sometimes also.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I think chrome is out!
    Now now, Mark:
    remember...CHROME WINS!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    love these aftermarket wheels on this genesis coupe...

Hyundai Genesis 3.8 | Vossen CVT Directional Wheels | Rims - YouTube
    Those wheels don't look proportional to the car to me. Perhaps that was sarcasm you were making?

The metallic (diamond?) finish is neat, especially on white, but the car is very rounded, while the wheels are very pointy. It clashes pretty bad. Maybe the contrast is percieved as exciting, but I don't think it harmonizes at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garducio View Post
    i generally hate OEM wheels so i tend to change them out. But i go by how the new wheel will look like with the type of car i have. not every wheel works on any car. older cars need a classic look. having a modern looking wheel on an ols school car just looks bad.

Now for the high end cars like Ferrari Lambos and all he others, when i see those cars with non OEM wheels i just get pissed. The OEM wheels on those cars are amazing. they are made to fit the look and compleet the car. When i see chrome wheels on them i'm like they should take the car away from you. I've always told my friends that those high end car should be sold with something saying you can't modify any part of the car period. Tey built it to perfection so why ruin it??? 99% of the time when someone does something to those cars they make it look so bad.

Well that's what i think about it.
    Modifying or customizing a car is one of the joys of ownership, no matter what brand of car you have.

The difference is with cars like a Ferrari you can customized it at the factory with the extensive list of parts that can add up to the price of the car itself if you want everything. Even then adding your own personal touches is something people like to do and that is why customization shops thrive. I see many customized high end cars all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

I'm beginning to realize I don't want chrome. Chrome seems to add just too much bling, chome is an SOB to maintain, regardless of some's claims of durability. I've had lots of chrome, yeah, 5' away it looks good, 5" away, I'm seeing sleeks after a few washes like I washed them with a Scotchbrite Pad.

I think chrome is out!
    Chrome will never be out!

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah chrome is in, look at the new Vette, just can't let go of the past still! Sure, chrome reverse wheels looked awesome on your 62', especially w/ blackwalls but in 2014 ITS OUT....AND STAY OUT!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by staat.t View Post
    But I'm in the process of purchasing the dodge viper rims that also look great, aftermarket? For a charger yes...
    I agree, I have an 07 R/T and the stock wheels were ok but I wanted a more aggressive look and stance but not stray from an OEM look too much. Also, that black SRT8 on the Vipers is what sold me on them a few years ago. I went with staggered 20s though (245/45 and 285/40) and the Mopar stage 1 springs to reduce that fender gap to about what a stock SRT8 sits at.

Sorry for the crappy garage photos, I recently got a new camera and haven't had the chance to take outside shots yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    I agree, I have an 07 R/T and the stock wheels were ok but I wanted a more aggressive look and stance but not stray from an OEM look too much. Also, that black SRT8 on the Vipers is what sold me on them a few years ago. I went with staggered 20s though (245/45 and 285/40) and the Mopar stage 1 springs to reduce that fender gap to about what a stock SRT8 sits at.

Sorry for the crappy garage photos, I recently got a new camera and haven't had the chance to take outside shots yet.

Man you've gotta demold and debadge that beauty!! Those vipers look sick as well, what exhaust setup do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    The SRT wheels that are 5 spoke where each spoke comes to a point are VERY sharp!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast