autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer?

Post Thanks / Like

Subwoofer?

I was thinking about putting a sub woofer into my 2000 Honda Civic, Is this a DIY project and what would i need i have an amp... Do i need a new Cd player I olny have a stock one.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use your stock radio if you want to, but a aftermarket head unit is the way to go. I have a line output converter on my stock unit so that i get clearer signals.Stock units don't give clear signals IMO (Ihave never owned a honda so I don't know about yours). Also, it is a great DIY project, Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33
    I was thinking about putting a sub woofer into my 2000 Honda Civic, Is this a DIY project and what would i need i have an amp... Do i need a new Cd player I olny have a stock one.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    You might get a lot of sound distortion if you use a stock CD player. After market is the way to go. Get one with a little jack for Ipod.
    Quality amp coupled with a good quality subwoofer like Kecker Solo Baric L5 or L7 is the way to go. Expensive, but well worth the price.
    Another quality choce would be Rockford Fosgate.
    Both choices are pricey, but with just one 12" sub you will have a "music party" in your car.
    Remember, you get what you pay for. Don't buy some unknown brand.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    #1 what amp do you have? You SHOULD base the sub selection on what you amp can put out. Also it should be based on what kind of music you listen to. And yes you should find an aftermarket deck preferably with a few RCA OUTPUTS.

Post Thanks / Like
    JLAudio makes Stealthboxes for alot of cars. Great thing as designed to take up as little space as possible. You will need an amp, but can tap into rear channels or use their new CleanSweep Technology also.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Infinity also makes a nice little unit called the BassLink II. It's about 1 cubic ft in size and is self powered (built in amp and crossover). It takes line (RCA) or speaker level inputs and you can get wiring kits for many car models. You can find them for around $200 on ebay and the adapter kits for another $40. The nice thing with these is that they can be mounted vertically or horizontally and pulled from the car easily if the space is needed.
    I haven't used them but have seen many very good reviews and Infinity is a reputable manufacturer. If you just want to improve your stock speakers and not upgrade everything, this may work. I've done a bit of research on this and have been an audio engineer for over 30 years, if that counts for anything.
    Just an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright sounds good guys! i deff want a cd player with an ipod jack

Post Thanks / Like
    what kind of amp do you have and what is power rating? also how many channels is the amp. kicker L5 hits harder and sounds better than L7 from the cars i have heard. another great sub is HiFonics.

Post Thanks / Like
    I Have 2 Pioneer 12's. Dont go too big, with these and a 760W amp, I can already drone out any sound and make my parking tags do the salsa.

Looking back, I wish I would have gotten one, hehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    10" will do great in a little car like he has. and a good 400-500watt amp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast