autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cooling your garage

I took a large industrial sized fan (about 36"-42") from our shop, and put that in our pole barn. It definately cools the place down, but creates too much air turbulance (if that's the right word) that it blows all kinds of stuff into the air, and on the cars. It's even worse if I have my dogs with me when I'm detailing... Between the gallon of slobber my dog can throw on my car, he also covers it in hair.

I need to find a smaller unit that will still cool down a 60x40 pole barn...

Post Thanks / Like

Having your garage too hot can be deterimental in several ways. Menzerna does not like high heat and humidity so if you use that, it will adversely affect it. The other thing of course is that it makes you uncomfortable which takes all the fun out of detailing. I installed a portable air conditioner in my garage. I cut a hole through the garage door and put a dryer vent in there to exhaust the gas. If I let it run overnight, it can get down to 70 degrees. Now THAT'S comfortable detailing!! They are not that expensive and damned worthwhile if you ask me! FYI...I started out with a large overhead fan and found it useless.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a commercial AC/heater. Similar to the ones you see in hotels. Toasty in the winter, perfect in the summer. And a big plus, it filters the air and reduces dust.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

I just let my dog slobber all over me to keep me cool.

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Post Thanks / Like

I too live in a hot region (south Florida) and do alot of detailing in the garage. I was worried about space (to store something) and while those nice portable A/C units looked inviting I chose two Vornado fans. They move alot of air and one being on a pedistal and other without and they store easily in their respective boxes. It appears they now even offer one especially for shop purposes.

Scott

Super Member Advanced Detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in south florida it's way too hot and humid to detail in the garage and a fan(s) won't cut it.
    I have several customers with airconditioned garages which helps but when i detail at home i used to suffer.
    Went to Home Depot and got one of their floor models, no need to install in a window or wall.
    They run about $600, worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Detailing View Post
    Here in south florida it's way too hot and humid to detail in the garage and a fan(s) won't cut it.
    I have several customers with airconditioned garages which helps but when i detail at home i used to suffer.
    Went to Home Depot and got one of their floor models, no need to install in a window or wall.
    They run about $600, worth every penny.
    Never heard of a portable unit before. Just looked at home depot on line. Looks like I found my father's day present. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What temperature and humidity level does it need to reach before I need to take measures that will benefit the product? I am getting ready to start detailing my ride in the garage and it's getting into the mid to upper 80's with roughly 60% humidity. I'm going to use the WG swirl remover, WG glaze, and the WGDGP.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you want your humidity to be 50% or lower and the temps are best around the mid-upper 70s for most detailing products. I believe that's the "sweet-spot". Anymore than 50% humidity though and most products start doing strange things...a LOT more than 50% and they just start doing "###" types of things...drives me bonkers.

We use a LOT of fans in the 12,000 sq/ft. garage I work out of...sort of helps, but it's not really "comfortable" per-se. If I have to start working out of my own personal garage though, I'm insulating the walls and putting a window-mount unit in one of the windows to cool it off and a portable heating unit for the winters to warm it up.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
    buy too much product and the chill from the wife can lower the temp big time
    I get heat from Mrs. Old Tiger!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast