autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: License Plate Frame Recmdtns

Wow...here in NJ we have to have front plates, so I've definitely wanted a cover to keep the bugs and grime off the front plate. I've used both Altec and Weathertech...but we must have larger than normal plates here, because they don't fit!! I've had to file the edges of the plate, etc., and still I don't get a weathertight fit (some condensation after washing, etc.

Which is the brand that has the lines in the lens? I really don't get why they are there, I thought maybe it was an effort to make the plate harder to read, I called up the company and I think they told me it was just a "style". Since we have some pretty restrictive laws here about plate legibility, I don't need to create any problems, so I found one without lines, and of course that yellowed pretty badly after a while and I had to sand and buff it this year.

Anybody else have any fit problems (the plate being too big to sit inside the gasketed area)?

PS Oh, and that's a nice frame, CeeDog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow...here in NJ we have to have front plates ...
    Same thing in IA, but we all ignore the law. I have only been pulled over for it once in the past 12 years, and it was just an excuse to do a random sobriety test at 2am. The ticket was something like $15, not exactly a deterrent.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: License Plate Frame Recmdtns

Would that be for the front or rear of the car? The reason I asked is that NC just outlawed the frames that have a wide area on the bottom because the cops couldn't make out the state the plate was from. So now in NC you supposed to have a thin frame for the back plate which killed my ST.Louis Cardinals 2006 World Champions frame, rat bastages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    Same thing in IA, but we all ignore the law. I have only been pulled over for it once in the past 12 years, and it was just an excuse to do a random sobriety test at 2am. The ticket was something like $15, not exactly a deterrent.
    They are a little more active here on the enforcement of front plates, you don't see too many without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DeBrun View Post
    Would that be for the front or rear of the car? The reason I asked is that NC just outlawed the frames that have a wide area on the bottom because the cops couldn't make out the state the plate was from.
    Yeah, you can't (legally) have that here. I have a friend who is a cop who told me about someone he gave a ticket to for a legible plate with some lighted frame that had moving lights, he said "you can't do that". It all comes down to the officer and whether they are looking for probable cause for a traffic stop (as LegacyGT noted), because you certainly see plenty of people with fogged over plate covers where you basically can't see anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as long as it has UK (University Of Kentucky) on it, it will always look good !!
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Hey guys, I've been looking for the right license plate frame and haven't been able to find it. Please post your thoughts/recomendations? I'm looking for a chrome frame.

Has anyone tried the weathertech or the altec?
    Well, my 2 cents worth. About 12 to 15 years ago we put a pair of Altec black frames on my wife's Trans Am, moved them to a Volvo 850, then a BMW 328ci - we "retired" them this year as the coating finally gave up. We replaced them with another pair of Altecs........Good Stuff!!

As a footnote, one of our license plates had to be trimmed to fit completely under either frame, it seemed that this one plate was "larger" then the other one - odd. Long story - tight tolerances.
    Last edited by Shoe_08057; 11-10-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo.....10 thumbs
    2011 - BMW 128i
    2011 - BMW 335is
    2010 - Mazda 3 GT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123