autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you apply Collinite TOO thin?

I used Ult Comp on my paint last week and topped it with Collinite Insulator Wax. Today I washed the car and there was almost no beading on the surfaces. When I put the Collinite on the pad, I literally used DROPS and I could see the haze on the paint, but then it would disappear without me doing anything to wipe it off. I was using a PC/Speed 3/ and a Megs thin 5" polishing pad to apply the wax and a regular microfiber to remove the haze.

When I was done, the whole car felt slick and when it rained the next few days, the water beaded nicely, but now nothing.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you apply Collinite TOO thin?

Collinite not working well with compound residual,or maybe the pad app was contaminated with prior product.

Super Member Corey@OptimalDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Collinite not working well with compound residual,or maybe the pad app was contaminated with prior product.
    This.

Or, what soap did you use to wash the vehicle? Does it have any "gloss enhancing agents" or "wax" additives? If so, this could interfere with Collonites beading and sheeting properties.

Post Thanks / Like

After washing the vehicle...no water beading...
    just one week from #845's initial application?

More than likely it's the car-wash product's
    surfactant residues that are at fault.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

When you go over the paint with some soap and your wash media, are you noticing any of this type of behavior on the surface shown through the soap?

Looks like jagged markings across the paint panel. Let me know if you're noticing it on your next wash, then try and apply another coat of 845 to the paint or a test spot and see if you get more than one week of strong beading out of it this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Any reason why you are using a polishing pad instead of a finishing pad to apply it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Any reason why you are using a polishing pad instead of a finishing pad to apply it?
    Thought the same,but he had it on speed 3 which will cover the panels with product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I used Ult Comp on my paint last week and topped it with Collinite Insulator Wax. Today I washed the car and there was almost no beading on the surfaces. When I put the Collinite on the pad, I literally used DROPS and I could see the haze on the paint, but then it would disappear without me doing anything to wipe it off. I was using a PC/Speed 3/ and a Megs thin 5" polishing pad to apply the wax and a regular microfiber to remove the haze.

When I was done, the whole car felt slick and when it rained the next few days, the water beaded nicely, but now nothing.

Any ideas?
    Did you shake before using.you mentioned drops I'm thinking you may have got a bottle with oil sitting on top and not the actual product.was it liquid when you applied to pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I could see the haze on the paint, but then it would disappear without me doing anything to wipe it off. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I'm thinking you may have got a bottle with oil sitting on top and not the actual product.was it liquid when you applied to pad.
    GSKR is likely spot-on. Collinite is a funny product in that you have to shake it up well and depending on the tempeture you may have to warm it up in a bowl of hot water. I've seen it thin like squeezable butter and thick like mayo.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

There is a thread explaining how to use Collinite products on the forum... something like How to use this legendary wax or something like that.

Recap goes like this:

Shake well, put the bottle in hot water for a few minutes so that the wax becomes liquid, apply very thin layer.

Only issue I have had with this product in the past is that Under certain situations, dust seems to stick to it like glue. In terms of durability, never had a bad issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast