autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint coating on single stage paint???

Well looking for some advice since I never used paint coatings before. I have my 1980 Camaro Z28 with original Bronze metallic single stage paint but after years of polishing I know the paint is getting thin and was thinking about applying a paint coating? I recently gorged the paint with Meguiars #7 (THANKS MIKE!!!) but after reading instructions that I have to chemically strip the paint before applying coating, I worried that I'll remove the feeder oils and possibly make it look worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint coating on single stage paint???

Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop80 View Post
    Well looking for some advice since I never used paint coatings before. I have my 1980 Camaro Z28 with original Bronze metallic single stage paint but after years of polishing I know the paint is getting thin and was thinking about applying a paint coating? I recently gorged the paint with Meguiars #7 (THANKS MIKE!!!) but after reading instructions that I have to chemically strip the paint before applying coating, I worried that I'll remove the feeder oils and possibly make it look worse.
    I would just keep it waxed up nice car and color as well,or you can try essence no need to strip and go right to cq uk.Thats just some advice if it's kind of oxidized than stick to a wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I gorge my El Camino's paint with M07 on a yearly basis and have applied Opti Coat on a few panels, mainly the roof. I will do a light polish with Optimum Polish as a surface cleaner. I've never noticed any deterioration of the finish quality after polishing and coating.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Some folks have experienced streaking issues when applying coatings to single stage paints. It's been theorized that coatings containing strong solvents can affect the paint and that the bonding mechanism was designed for urethane clear rather than lacquer systems.

Perhaps carpro Essence may provide a good base for coatings on single stage paints. I've used it on a few single stage paints now without any issues.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to do my 75 AMC Hornet which is enamal and also my 72 Skylark and my buddies 55 Chevy which are laquer
    Never heard of this streaking issues, guess I'll do a test spot first before I go balls to the wall lol

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Nick about Blackfire coating on single stage paint. He said it would work fine, but wouldn't last quite as long...
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings are designed to bond to clears. Streaking occurs when the stay in certain areas and not in others. Stick with wax, if it needs a little polishing use a cleaner wax and top with a plain wax. I will not coat a single stage car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Coatings are designed to bond to clears. Streaking occurs when the stay in certain areas and not in others. Stick with wax, if it needs a little polishing use a cleaner wax and top with a plain wax. I will not coat a single stage car.
    Perfect answer, I couldn't have said this better then Mike.
    AMG Classic Automotive Detailing 45 year's and still going at it!

Post Thanks / Like

Well if it's due to solvent based coatings, I have a few non solvent based ceramic coatings to try.
    Also have essance to try on a laquer and an enamel paint.

Also can try a coating made for wheels and or gel coat too

I do know for fact Polish Angels Viking coat worked on my enamel finish. It protected very well considering all it did was sit out and back I. The sun along with winter... This summer it'll make a year since application

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I've done one about 4 months ago, a Single stage White Toyota and its holding up strong! Just gotta find the right product.

Out here in HI, nothing i've used as an LSP lasted 3 months without showing signs of oxidation. From Megs Synthetic wax, Collinite, Klasse HGSG, Wolfs HB, Opti-Coat pro, Blackfire WD, and more. And i've done at least 30 of these types of cars, the sun out here just KILLS the paint with ease.

Anyways, what's been working for me so far is an Essence prep, and a Water based Coating (PM me for the name). I've tried both their regular Nano coating, and they also make a special coating for Marine applications which i've tried. Their normal paint coating has so far given me 4 months with no signs of wear AT ALL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast