autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What scratches are these? Towels?

Quote Originally Posted by 74 thing View Post
    IMO on soft paint it is usually the drying towel that causes the problems.

I use a grout sponge when I do a 2 bucket wash since I like the way it releases any dirt when squeezed into the rinse bucket. On a really dirty black car with soft paint I will not wash the whole door. Instead for instance I will wash the top 1/2 of the door then rinse the panel. Then after rinsing the sponge I will wash the bottom section and rinse the panel. I am just trying to make sure debris gets rinsed off and I am not pushing debris into the panel from the top to the bottom. Thinking about it I guess I could start the wash on the bottom of the panel to prevent this.

Anyways I still think drying is still the major cause of marring in soft paint. Maybe to test you can wash and dry one door as normal and then just wash and blow dry the other door but do not touch it with a drying towel and see what the results are.

Drying microfibers are better used when damp. Running a dry towel across a surface increases the chances of marring esp on soft paint. Using a drying aid like Meguiars Ultimate Detailer or Ammo Hydrate help the drying process and provide a bit of a buffer. In addition you can use the towel and blot and not drag it. There are also great drying towels like Carpros Dry Me Crazy and Mother's PFA drying towel that help a lot. The best bet is to not touch the paint though maybe wash, blow dry, then blot the drops that are left using a drying aid for assistance.
    This is my first car with soft paint, definitely a pain and i'm learning a lot while at the same time it is testing my patience haha.

I will try the drying aid, and avoid the dry waffle from now on

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't thought about the heat there- but I hear you. In the summer, I always do the hood and sunny side first. To avoid spotting. But Dubai is a little different that where I'm at! I bet it does evaporate quickly! I guess it's sort of choosing the lesser of two evils. Scratches or water spots.

I'd certainly try the swap from waffle to plush. I have a couple expensive waffle weaves and I really don't like them. They just seem to require more pressure than the plush to remove water. To me, it seems like even 5 light passes with plush is less abrasive than fewer passes with waffle. In fact, Just a couple "flops" of a plush towel will for the most part dry my hood. Then a quick detail mist on a small towel and the remaining water is wiped away.

Without a doubt, ease up on your pressure with whatever method you choose. But I understand the frustration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I hadn't thought about the heat there- but I hear you. In the summer, I always do the hood and sunny side first. To avoid spotting. But Dubai is a little different that where I'm at! I bet it does evaporate quickly! I guess it's sort of choosing the lesser of two evils. Scratches or water spots.

I'd certainly try the swap from waffle to plush. I have a couple expensive waffle weaves and I really don't like them. They just seem to require more pressure than the plush to remove water. To me, it seems like even 5 light passes with plush is less abrasive than fewer passes with waffle. In fact, Just a couple "flops" of a plush towel will for the most part dry my hood. Then a quick detail mist on a small towel and the remaining water is wiped away.

Without a doubt, ease up on your pressure with whatever method you choose. But I understand the frustration.
    Means a lot buddy, I will try the methods mentioned for sure. I can't deal with marring after spending so much money and time perfecting everything lol. My family already thinks i'm crazy

Edit: I feel you with the pressure using Waffle weaves, it does make me wonder at times, yes it can hold water....but at what expense :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    Means a lot buddy, I will try the methods mentioned for sure. I can't deal with marring after spending so much money and time perfecting everything lol. My family already thinks i'm crazy

Edit: I feel you with the pressure using Waffle weaves, it does make me wonder at times, yes it can hold water....but at what expense :/

Another method (and I'll probably catch some grief for this)- but you could try one of those silicone squeegee blades. I've never used one myself. But maybe it would allow you to get the bulk of the water off very quickly- and then you could just finish it (or have a friend follow you) with a plush MF. Seems to me there's some inherent risk of dragging isolated/unseen particulates with those sil blades, but with the problems you're having with other methods, it might be worth experimenting?

I have noticed in stores that some of the blades seem more flexible than others, so I'd try to get some feedback from someone that has used one before. The stiffer it is, the more pressure it would require on curved panels.

Looks like AG has several options.

The Original 14 inch California Water Blade, drying blade, squeegee blade
    With the California Dry Blade, water spots will no longer taint the finish of your car. With one simple swipe, your car is dry and ready for sunnier
    The Original California Jelly Blade, water blade, california jelly water blade
    One Pass Superflex Waterblade, car drying blade, water blade, flexible drying blade, squeegee
    One Pass Soft-N-Dry Waterblade, car drying blade, water blade, squeegee

Post Thanks / Like

Something else just occurred to me- living where you do, could there be any chance that your water supply might contain super-fine particulate matter that is causing the scratching? Is your hose pulling from a different source than your drinking water? It's a stretch, but just a thought. You could fill a glass, let it settle, and see what it looks like. Or is there any breeze that is kicking up a fine dust that is sticking to the water on the car?

My gut is telling me it's just as you said- super soft clear coat and towel induced marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Double posted...see next one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Something else just occurred to me- living where you do, could there be any chance that your water supply might contain super-fine particulate matter that is causing the scratching? Is your hose pulling from a different source than your drinking water? It's a stretch, but just a thought. You could fill a glass, let it settle, and see what it looks like. Or is there any breeze that is kicking up a fine dust that is sticking to the water on the car?

My gut is telling me it's just as you said- super soft clear coat and towel induced marring.
    Well, my garage isnt fully closed, I have the garage door and two walls on either side, one closed and one open to the front yard, while the inside wall (parallel to the garage door) opens to a pathway leading to the backyard. If you look at my profile pic, you can actually see the opening to the front yard.

What's worse is, the beach is about 2-3 mins away and if there is wind....yeah dust settles pretty quickly.

We don't drink water from taps here, only bottled. But, we have 4 other cars in the house, i'm the only one who takes this much care when washing the car (my car only). Only I touch my car when it comes to washing, and I've never faced an issue before. It has to be the soft clear.

As for the squeegee, it did make me flinch a little haha.

I think i'm going to start by changing out my wash mitt first, as plenty have told me the Incredimitt is too aggressive, especially on soft paint. Nothing incredible going on there.

I will also blot dry with the guzzler and follow with ONR at QD ratio with a plush towel and see where that takes me.

Bloody hate soft paint :/

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black 350z with soft paint. A couple panels have been repainted and the pain is EXTREMELY soft. Drying it absolutely mars it. Heck, I can polish it out, but wiping the polish off causes marring. I have just learned to deal with it. I ONR only, so I can't just let it air dry. Using a spray detailer as a drying aid helps, but it's doesn't prevent it.

Even still, it doesn't look like your typical heavily swirled panel you see on most cars. Again, I polish the car once a year about, but have just learned to deal with it.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    I have a black 350z with soft paint. A couple panels have been repainted and the pain is EXTREMELY soft. Drying it absolutely mars it. Heck, I can polish it out, but wiping the polish off causes marring. I have just learned to deal with it. I ONR only, so I can't just let it air dry. Using a spray detailer as a drying aid helps, but it's doesn't prevent it.

Even still, it doesn't look like your typical heavily swirled panel you see on most cars. Again, I polish the car once a year about, but have just learned to deal with it.
    Damn, I need to learn how to deal with soft paint haha. Been used to only hard paint thus far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123