autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage glass polish issues.

Recently I asked about my Griots glass polish problem.

and thanks to Mike and Bill, I got Griots Garage Fine glass polish to try it, so I decided to try it griots glass polish system again on my 2012 mazdaspeed3.

I chose rear quarter panel window, because I was too afraid to do this on windshield or any other main area.

Used griots 3" polisher at speed setting 4

This is before polish, glass has been cleaned and clayed with griots glass clay bar.

First, I used Griots glass polish with griots glass polishing pad.
    I sprayed little bit of water and used 2 small pea size of polish.

and just like previous time, it added swirls.

Now Trying out Griots Fine glass polish with Orange pad I received to try out thanks to Bill!

This is After Fine glass polish with orange pad...Sadly.... this did not remove swirls added by glass polish with + polishing pad.
    Pretty much same result.

When I received free griots garage fine glass polish, I made promise to test it out and share it with you guys so here I am.

Anyone having same issues with this?
    or am I doing something wrong?
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage glass polish issues.

This can result from not using enough water during polishing

You have to keep these glass polishes wet, when using Rayon pads so that the polish does not clump up into larger chunks and damage the glass

I have only used the CarPro Rayon pads with CeriGlass Polish

In my opinion, unless you have light scratches caused by wiper blades...glass polishing is often not worth the time, effort, dollars and potential damage

Glad you followed the advice to not start with the windshield

Post Thanks / Like

I know others have had issues with perfection from the griots system (I think it was Swanic or Klasse). I think the pads were the suspected cause. Since you did switch pads, perhaps you didn't cut enough with the fine polish? Maybe try the fine polish with the glass cutting pads?

If you still have no luck,, consider the car pro system maybe?
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    This can result from not using enough water during polishing

You have to keep these glass polishes wet, when using Rayon pads so that the polish does not clump up into larger chunks and damage the glass

I have only used the CarPro Rayon pads with CeriGlass Polish

In my opinion, unless you have light scratches caused by wiper blades...glass polishing is often not worth the time, effort, dollars and potential damage

Glad you followed the advice to not start with the windshield
    I polished with slightly damped pads but next time I will try it with more waters

But when I watched griots video, it didnt show any part of using water, but maybe that was bad video :/

maybe i will update tomorrow after re-polishing
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, someone posted a how-to where they recommended priming the whole pad with polish before starting.

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means an expert, but like previously mentioned, keeping the surface wet/moist at all times and how you apply pressure with the speed is some of the key components.
    I did practice on different methods on sample glass from a junk yard to get the hang of it prior to using on mine or customers.
    Personally i prefer using a rotary over a random orbital on glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Is glass polishing to remove water spots,I never used glass polishing with a machine nor by hand what's the purpose of doing all that work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I know others have had issues with perfection from the griots system (I think it was Swanic or Klasse). I think the pads were the suspected cause.
    I think a number of us decided that the Lake Country pads (the ones that are white on both sides) seem to not give as good results as the CarPro (which have red Velcro) or the Griot's (at least the newer Griot's with the black backing).

Guys, if we were polishing paint and the OP got the results he did with a rocks in a bottle compound, we would tell him he didn't break down the compound enough, or that he skipped to too fine a polish and therefore couldn't remove the compound marring--couldn't that be what's going on here?

I still like the idea of the sanding method, which takes some of these variables out, although it seems to me someone posted about this recently and had the same problem with the sanding method.

I know this doesn't help anything/body but taking a long view on this it seems like as a community there is just not enough of a knowledge base about glass polishing and too few products/techniques tried vs. the different glass and problems (I have noticed that the Asian cars seem to have really soft glass--at least the windshields--that easily get ice scraper marring and wiper trails).

What I mean by that is this sounds like a paint polishing discussion from 10 years ago, maybe 10 years from now we'll (as a group) have the glass polishing licked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyk View Post
    I am by no means an expert, but like previously mentioned, keeping the surface wet/moist at all times and how you apply pressure with the speed is some of the key components.
    I did practice on different methods on sample glass from a junk yard to get the hang of it prior to using on mine or customers.
    Personally i prefer using a rotary over a random orbital on glass.
    that is my next plan, with spray bottle next to me haha

and I agree on rotary and actually i posted thread for recommendation on rotary and will be getting PE-14 whenever I could

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Is glass polishing to remove water spots,I never used glass polishing with a machine nor by hand what's the purpose of doing all that work.
    same reason we polish paint,
    to remove water spots and minor defects.
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, if we were polishing paint and the OP got the results he did with a rocks in a bottle compound, we would tell him he didn't break down the compound enough, or that he skipped to too fine a polish and therefore couldn't remove the compound marring--couldn't that be what's going on here?
    well that is why Im here, to find out if I did something wrong, but since griots have only "Glass polish" and "Fine glass polish"
    so it cant be from skipping a step.

and with fine glass polish, I def broke down the compound enough, but with glass polish, I couldn't really tell if it broke down completely or not.

I did about 5 passes with it FYI

I know this doesn't help anything/body but taking a long view on this it seems like as a community there is just not enough of a knowledge base about glass polishing and too few products/techniques tried vs. the different glass and problems (I have noticed that the Asian cars seem to have really soft glass--at least the windshields--that easily get ice scraper marring and wiper trails).

What I mean by that is this sounds like a paint polishing discussion from 10 years ago, maybe 10 years from now we'll (as a group) have the glass polishing licked.
    I totally agree with you on this,
    I think we are lacking a lot of information on polishing glass and products...
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast