autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb Detailing Advice. Where to start?

Glad to have found a forum on detailing. Stoked to learn more about it!

I just bought a 2013 Mazdaspeed white and I live in Hot FL by the beach, so im wanting to protect the paint as much as possible. Im coming from a 98 cherokee so detailing to me is going through a car wash.

I have already bought Chemical Guys Jet Seal sealant as I have heard very good reviews. So Im wanting to know what I should put on or do before and after I apply the Jet seal.

I did wax it once with megs about 2 months ago and its pretty much gone now. From what I have learned from google is I should probably go in these steps:

1st: clean car with light dish detergent to remove all oils and previous wax.

2nd: Clay bar with medium clay

3rd: Wash with a good car wash soap

4th: apply a polish, would like suggestions on brand and which one because it seems like there is a million different ones. Whitelight from Chem. Guys looked good?? [Edit: this is considered a Glaze]

5th: Jet seal

6th: Wax, also would like suggestions for a pearl white car, and one best to withstand the harsh elements of florida. I like to have it shiny as possible. Chem. Guys Buttery Wax looked good, but would like all input.

7th: Spray on Sealant. I saw a video of Chem. Guys using their Nano Skin (if thats correct) as just a quick extra layer of protection.

Also for the polishing this pretty much requires a buffer right? And which one would I want to get being a beginner.

Thanks a lot. Sorry if this post is a little off of the forum rules, but this is my first thread, Would appreciate any criticisms or suggestions.

Edit: I just read that glaze and polish can be bad in wet weather, so I would probably not want to do those in rainy FL right? Also being a 2013 the paint is in very good cond. it does have a couple very small chip marks that are not to the metal and the car runs rich being a Speed so the back hatch is always covered with specs of black soot, even after washing there seems to be micro black specs all over the hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb Detailing Advice. Where to start?

First off welcome.
    Next this page detailingtips has a flow chart to help you with the steps to take. Below that are articles and videos to help you with each step. It's going to be easy at first to get overwhelmed, but once you have learned the right way, your decisions on products will be easier.

Post Thanks / Like

for polishes, i'd check out Carpro Reflect, and 3D HD Adapt
    perhaps Scholls S3 XXL I personally use Adapt the most out of the 3

Thats a great range to complete any job
    a great AIO would be 3D HD Speed

I like 3D HD Poxy for a LSP as it has wax and a sealant in one

A combo of Speed and Poxy will give a greater shine then just an AIO but with the least about of steps versus dedicated polish, dedicated sealant(WG DGPS) and dedicated wax(Pinnacle Souvern paste)
    but using dedicated products will most likely yield the most shine/depth but obviously the most time consuming route

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. You will learn a lot about from here. Enjoy the headaches....LOL Either way you will be a better detailer soon!!

It appears that you are a Chemical Guys Fan. Nothing wrong with Chemical Guys there are quite a few people that stand by their products. If AGO sells it then you know they have met the stringent requirements to be sold on AGO.

If you ever want to experiment with different products in the future look into Wolfgangs, Pinnacle, Blackfire, Meguiar's, Poorboy's and many others. I do know when it comes to waxes Pinnacle Souveran is awesome. Either way whatever you decide to do you are on the right track.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. You're in the right place to learn!

I got the detailing bug a half year ago, and enjoy working on the family's cars (and a couple of neighbor's cars as well). If I were to start over, I'd have read much more in the forums before spending $$. Search the forum for steps you think you will do. Pay particular attention to Mike Phillips' articles and videos, and follow the links within them which apply to your interest. He has great ideas on Best Practices ('always do a test spot', and 'start with least aggressive product & process', etc.), Processes (DA technique, etc.), and Products. By buying before completing my 'study', I spent more $$ on products than I should have, and now have some that I use rarely or not at all.

If your test spot with White Light looks good (use a single-LED flashlight, at various angles/distances, to check for swirls), proceed with the whole car, otherwise you may need a more aggressive product, pad or procedure (such as a three step correction). (BTW, as I understand it, CG's White Light is a polisher, glaze and sealant, so my preference would be to apply a wax instead of Jet Seal, but that is just my opinion.)

You won't regret spending on a great DA. I got the Griot's 6 inch, 25 foot cord (lifetime warranty!). I heard it's more powerful than the PC, but I find it very forgiving, and easily 'grew into' it. I use it with a 5" plate and pads. (AGO VERY kindly substituted the 6" plate with a 5", bc I'd read that 5" is easier.) I added a 3" plate and pads, and now I can handle the whole car.

Get 2 pads of each type that will suit your products and processes. You don't want to work a pad too long before cleaning it, nor do you want to stop working in order to clean it.

As a newbie, I gave myself a lot of extra work. This is what I now do:
    -Do a test spot, with all products/processes, from start to finish, before doing the entire car. Modify product/process if needed.
    -Tape anything you don't want abraded with the DA.
    -Learn whether or not your product stains trim: if 'no', TEST it anyway. -Keep that buffer on the surface until it stops!
    -Work in a clean, well organized area.

One other thought on your note:
    -I'd get light clay, not medium. I never needed more on my 6 yr old cars.

You don't mention techniques for car care. After you've done all that work, you don't want to do it all over. KEEP your car looking great by learning about the 2 bucket wash, keeping microfiber for wash and for polish and for wax/sealant separate, etc.

As mentioned previously, you are definitely on the right track. I find testing new product combinations and techniques to be a lot of fun.

Enjoy yourself!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

(Re-posted, as I accidentally put my initial reply within another reply in this thread...)

Welcome to AGO. You're in the right place to learn!

I got the detailing bug a half year ago, and enjoy working on the family's cars (and a couple of neighbor's cars as well). If I were to start over, I'd have read much more in the forums before spending $$. Search the forum for steps you think you will do. Pay particular attention to Mike Phillips' articles and videos, and follow the links within them which apply to your interest. He has great ideas on Best Practices ('always do a test spot', and 'start with least aggressive product & process', etc.), Processes (DA technique, etc.), and Products. By buying before completing my 'study', I spent more $$ on products than I should have, and now have some that I use rarely or not at all.

If your test spot with White Light looks good (use a single-LED flashlight, at various angles/distances, to check for swirls), proceed with the whole car, otherwise you may need a more aggressive product, pad or procedure (such as a three step correction). (BTW, as I understand it, CG's White Light is a polisher, glaze and sealant, so my preference would be to apply a wax instead of Jet Seal, but that is just my opinion.)

You won't regret spending on a great DA. I got the Griot's 6 inch, 25 foot cord (lifetime warranty!). I heard it's more powerful than the PC, but I find it very forgiving, and easily 'grew into' it. I use it with a 5" plate and pads. (AGO VERY kindly substituted the 6" plate with a 5", bc I'd read that 5" is easier.) I added a 3" plate and pads, and now I can handle the whole car.

Get 2 pads of each type that will suit your products and processes. You don't want to work a pad too long before cleaning it, nor do you want to stop working in order to clean it.

As a newbie, I gave myself a lot of extra work. This is what I now do:
    -Do a test spot, with all products/processes, from start to finish, before doing the entire car. Modify product/process if needed.
    -Tape anything you don't want abraded with the DA.
    -Learn whether or not your product stains trim: If yes, tape it; if 'no', TEST it anyway.
    -Keep that buffer on the surface until it stops!
    -Work in a clean, well organized area.

My other thoughts on your note:
    -I never needed more than a light clay on my 6 yr old cars.
    -You might want to get something to spot-remove tar.

You don't mention techniques for car care. After you've done all that work, you don't want to do it all over. KEEP your car looking great by learning about the 2 bucket wash, keeping microfiber for wash and for polish and for wax/sealant separate, etc.

As mentioned previously, you are definitely on the right track. I find testing new product combinations and techniques to be a lot of fun.

Enjoy yourself!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies!

I decided not to polish since my paint is in very good condition, im just going to do a glaze to add some shine. Do you need to use a buffer to remove glaze?

Also Trying to decide on a wax that is somewhat durable and quality, but on the cheaper side. Also is there a big difference on paste or liquid wax. Im guessing the paste would be better quality and durability, but is that at the cost of the application process? Some of the waxes that looked appealing was CGs butter wet wax, and Poorboys natty blue.

Im not a chem guys fan since Ive never even used any of their products, I guess their products are just really nicely laid out on what their supposed to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Florida.

HD Speed topped with HD Poxy, great combo, excellent value, great shine and 5-6 months protection. I tested this combo on numerous non garaged Florida vehicles from May 2015. Stick with a "system" approach. Both can be applied by hand and when you jump into the DA world Speed is a great product to learn with. When I comes to polish, I prefer HD Polish over Adapt, but that's just me.

I like some CG products, butter wet wax was not one of them. I cannot recommend that product. I tossed my BWW. In my opinion Poxy is far superior on the longevity side.

Natty Blue is good stuff but longevity in Florida will be an issue.

Poxy will make your white car POP!

2009 Altima, HD Polish one step topped with HD Poxy. Did this over the summer, it sits outside in Florida heat.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I live in Florida.

HD Speed topped with HD Poxy, great combo, excellent value, great shine and 5-6 months protection. I tested this combo on numerous non garaged Florida vehicle from May 2015. Stick with a "system" approach. Both can be applied by hand and when you jump into the DA world Speed is a great product to learn with. When I comes to polish, I prefer HD Polish over Adapt, but that's just me.

I like some CG products, butter wet wax was not one of them. I cannot recommend that product. I tossed my BWW. In my opinion Poxy is far superior on the longevity side.

Natty Blue is good stuff but longevity in Florida will be an issue.

Poxy will make your white car POP!
    Is HD poxy a brand or a product? Edit found out its by 3D. Thanks for the suggestion, definitely going to go with the poxy.

Will it be ok to do the poxy after the Jet Seal because the poxy is a wax/sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know AG sold any Chemical Guys products until now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast