autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rear Bumper Damage Help

If you are gonna complain about the cost or suggestions ,then maybe you should have called the police about the incident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chala View Post
    i rather not get into specifics but he was definitely drunk, i did him a favor by not calling cops.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    If you are gonna complain about the cost or suggestions ,then maybe you should have called the police about the incident.

I 100% agree with calling the police in this matter. You were hit by a drunk driver. His behind needed to be arrested. You may have felt good for getting him off easy, but he could have easily caused a wreck that could take someone's life.

As for your bumper, go to a collision repair shop and get it fixed. Like GSKR said, there can be structural damage you can't see.

Post Thanks / Like

Most cars that take a direct hit on one side or a direct angle absorb so much force there could be supplemental damage you can't see.That why the bumper needs to come off and be inspected by a certified collision expert.You stated bumper is 400 but doesn't include r and r and paint and clear.my client needed a front bumper on a 12 accord ended up paying 750 in total with paint.
    I found a guy that does not recommend a new one, he will be taking the bumper off and inspecting in my presence, he guarantee's show room look for reasonable dollar.
    complain??
    Quote Originally Posted by hollerstiltner View Post
    You were hit by a drunk driver. His behind needed to be arrested. You may have felt good for getting him off easy, but he could have easily caused a wreck that could take someone's life.

As for your bumper, go to a collision repair shop and get it fixed. Like GSKR said, there can be structural damage you can't see.
    Thats history, it was Christmas day and i didn't do it, i am not going to second guess myself, or discuss moral code right now i am just trying to fix my car. The collision guy will inspect for structure damage.
    Last edited by Chala; 12-27-2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: text

Post Thanks / Like

brand new car? I would take it and get estimates. There could be damage underneath you wouldn't see. When my girlfriend whacked a deer, it did damage behind the grill. The A/C system was damaged which we would have never seen, otherwise it looked like cosmetic. Popped the fender out and broke the grill, which I could have fixed, but A/C parts broken, I could not. Got a recharged A/C too boot, under insurance. I know it's the rear, but gotta think there is a strut, could be some unibody damage, never know. Make sure your "I gotta a guy" is certified!
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chala View Post
    I found a guy that does not recommend a new one, he will be taking the bumper off and inspecting in my presence, he guarantee's show room look for reasonable dollar.
    Of couse not, the shop make more money doing a repair rather than an replacement. Having said that it does look very repairable. Keep us updated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
    Make sure your "I gotta a guy" is certified!
    What kind of certified, whats the industry standard?
    Quote Originally Posted by 7PaintGuns View Post
    Of couse not, the shop make more money doing a repair rather than an replacement. Having said that it does look very repairable. Keep us updated!
    He mentioned about the bumpers being painted differently then metal on cars, and there is a vin on the original that's why he recommended repair. Of course i will keep you informed

Post Thanks / Like

You can't repair a plastic bumper by heating it up... 1) plastic does not work that way and 2) there is stiff foam behind that bumper.

I'm guessing you are not going to have the other person pay the damage? I fail to see why but this is your call.

My recommendation to _everyone_. ALWAYS get the person's contact info and insurance info. If they don't have it with them or the car is registered to someone else, file a police report (there is a _very_ good chance at that point that their insurance is not valid). ALWAYS take pictures at the time of the accident. Always take pictures at the time of the accident.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant, your "I gotta a guy" owns a reputable paint shop. Not a buddy that can paint in the backyard. Sure, I can paint with the right stuff, decent compressor etc, but I am by no means ASE certified to do so. All my damaged vehicles were done by ASE certified painters in reputable shops. If your guy can do it, great, get 'er done! I'm just speaking from an insurance/warranty (warranty of work too!) stand point. Just looking out for ya.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
    I meant, your "I gotta a guy" owns a reputable paint shop. Not a buddy that can paint in the backyard. Sure, I can paint with the right stuff, decent compressor etc, but I am by no means ASE certified to do so. All my damaged vehicles were done by ASE certified painters in reputable shops. If your guy can do it, great, get 'er done! I'm just speaking from an insurance/warranty (warranty of work too!) stand point. Just looking out for ya.
    yes the collision repair shop is a reputable one with good reviews, one of the best in the area, i am sure the painters are ASE certified, but just to make sure i will ask

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    You can't repair a plastic bumper by heating it up... 1) plastic does not work that way and 2) there is stiff foam behind that bumper.
    Quick example...

Watch "How To Repair Plastic Bumper Covers - Plastic Bumper Repair (in minutes!)" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/GQRF-GaF9So

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12