autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Face mask and safety in general

1, Hello, how important is to wear a face mask to protect my airwaves while polishing? Do you have any recommendation for a good mask to work on a hot area?
    2, i srore all my detailing products in my apartment and i have a lot, i dont have a garage or some other srorage option. How dangerous are those chemicals at home to breath? How dangerous is it to a pregnant woman?

Thak you..

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Face mask and safety in general

You should search for MSDS (material safety data sheets) for your products. Within these sheets there is a section on both exposure control and storage. If someone refuses to give you a sheet, threaten to report them to your local health and safety body - they would be breaking a lot of rules to refuse and they should know it.

There is no definite answer as it depends upon the products in question. At the very least, the labels should give you most of the important info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aderet View Post
    1, Hello, how important is to wear a face mask to protect my airwaves while polishing? Do you have any recommendation for a good mask to work on a hot area?
    2, i store all my detailing products in my apartment and i have a lot, i dont have a garage or some other srorage option. How dangerous are those chemicals at home to breath? How dangerous is it to a pregnant woman?
    If you are generating a lot of dust while polishing, then a mask like this might be indicated: 3M Particulate Respirator 8511 but there are certainly many polishes today that basically don't dust at all.

As far as the storage, generally if you don't smell anything then I'd say you're fine, most products today aren't too solventy and closed containers aren't a problem. If you have something like an acid wheel cleaner, that's something you might want to reconsider the storage on.

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    You should search for MSDS (material safety data sheets) for your products. Within these sheets there is a section on both exposure control and storage.
    The problem with this is because the mfr. is providing the MSDS, in some (many?) cases they seem to do a CYA with fairly safe stuff and recommend gloves and safety glasses etc. just because why not and it's hard to argue with not getting stuff on your skin or eyes. At the same time some really hazardous stuff seems to get downplayed.

The effect is to seemingly push all the SDS profiles toward the middle, and you can't tell the really bad stuff from the really safe stuff. So I see videos of detailers wearing gloves to apply benign products (which again, I can't really argue with), and we have a video of a guy spraying HF or ABF wheel cleaner on his bare hand to show people not to be afraid of it (yikes!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    The problem with this is because the mfr. is providing the MSDS, in some (many?) cases they seem to do a CYA with fairly safe stuff and recommend gloves and safety glasses etc. just because why not and it's hard to argue with not getting stuff on your skin or eyes. At the same time some really hazardous stuff seems to get downplayed.

The effect is to seemingly push all the SDS profiles toward the middle, and you can't tell the really bad stuff from the really safe stuff. So I see videos of detailers wearing gloves to apply benign products (which again, I can't really argue with), and we have a video of a guy spraying HF or ABF wheel cleaner on his bare hand to show people not to be afraid of it (yikes!)
    Can of worms! In the EU, we are newly into the implementation of the globally harmonised system for labelling and packaging. One assumes that this system will apply to you guys as well. The big issue is that the system adopts a corrosive symbol when eye damage is a risk. This was previously rated along side eye and skin irritation (with an 'X' irritant). In itself, that seems not too bad. However, many base surfactants earn this classification above only 3% (which is pretty low). Previously, we could get 5% without any classification. So we move from a 3-5% level previously having any symbol at all to the same product now having a corrosive symbol - yet nothing has changed! The symbol is all that most users will see so they will now look at many surfactant blends, which are fine as long as you dont get them in your eyes (and even then, it is not immediate damage) and they will compare to really corrosive products and assume them the same. What this means is that users will become numb to the dangers - they will become familiar with a shampoo that has a corrosive symbol and the fear will be gone. Bad system, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

In the EU, we are newly into the implementation of the globally harmonised system for labelling and packaging. One assumes that this system will apply to you guys as well.
    Yes, it seems GHS is being implemented here.

What this means is that users will become numb to the dangers - they will become familiar with a shampoo that has a corrosive symbol and the fear will be gone. Bad system, IMO.
    Yes, you put it much more succinctly than I did, when everything seems labeled as dangerous it becomes more difficult to pinpoint the REALLY dangerous stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

i use a basic dust mask when compounding and polishing.

as far as storing the products goes, as long as they are sealed you should be fine. you can take it a step further and place items in weather seals storage bins for increased piece of mind.